Classic Games, Gaming, Hardware and Discussion.

Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
(13 votes)
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Would GP Forums benefit from a Classic Gaming forum

206 people have voted on this poll. You may not vote on this poll

Yes. Having everything located in one place would be great.
91 44.17%
No. Not worth the effort/ Not popular enough/ We have enough sub forums already
90 43.69%
Dont know or care either way
25 12.14%
  1. Post
    Yeah I'd prefer fewer sub forums and just more mega threads instead.
    Although with that said there's no harm in giving this classic game forum a test run to see how it goes.

2. Post
    this would be amazing if it turns out to be true. system shock 2 to release on gog and steam

http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/gam...eam-to-follow/

http://www.nightdivestudios.com/

3. Post
    As long as they dont just cobble together the current mods AND it works with those same mods that would be cool.
    Just release it on GOG with a custom launcher and let the modders continue their exceptional work.

4. Post
    Don't care either way, but can foresee it just being cryocore talking to himself

5. Post
    AC SLATER wrote:
    Don't care either way, but can foresee it just being cryocore talking to himself
    Hey! I do not talk to myself

6. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Hey! I do not talk to myself
    Yeah you do.

7. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Yeah you do.
    No f**ktard I dont.

8. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    No f**ktard I dont.
    Chill out you c*ntstained smackshit! Its just an observation no need to get so worked up.

9. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Chill out you c*ntstained smackshit! Its just an observation no need to get so worked up.
    Yeah typical response from a moronic mouth-breathing PC elitists hipster who cant/wont commit to an actual argument or statement. Now run along and give some more back-ally handshandies to your equally socially inept douchenossles with a component upgrade fixation to compensate for your underdeveloped sexual organs.

10. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Yeah typical response from a moronic mouth-breathing PC elitists hipster who cant/wont commit to an actual argument or statement. Now run along and give some more back-ally handshandies to your equally socially inept douchenossles with a component upgrade fixation to compensate for your underdeveloped sexual organs.
    Dude you are too emotional! You have my sympathy and pity.

11. Post
    lol!

12. Post
    ^Crikey.

I think a Classic Gaming sub-forum would be a great idea. Hopefully it would help promote discussion of older hardware/software like late 80's atari/amiga days or even Intellivision type consoles. Or what about those ones that ran on cassette tapes?? Lets show the older gens some
    ??

Also 386/486 PC interests alot of people too, which had its charms.

Quick thought, would be neat if this new forum had a sticky thread with one reasonably accessible old school game (chosen by vote?) per month for people to play and discuss.

13. Post
    KFC wrote:
    Quick thought, would be neat if this new forum had a sticky thread with one reasonably accessible old school game (chosen by vote?) per month for people to play and discuss.
    That's a genius idea!

14. Post
    KFC wrote:
    cryocore wrote:
    That's a genius idea!
    Start it now, get it going and build interest that way. I figure you're best to get it rolling, after all, you are regarded as the retro gaming hipster.

15. Post
    Well then rather than spamming the Adventure Games which I am really inclined to do i'll go for a classic action game

Crusader - No Remorse GOGs version works perfectly, and once you get used to the control scheme you'll have a blast.

16. Post
    Will purchase tomorrow.

17. Post
    Actually flag that. System Shock 2 hits GOG late today. A much better classic to jump in to.

18. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Well then rather than spamming the Adventure Games which I am really inclined to do i'll go for a classic action game

Crusader - No Remorse GOGs version works perfectly, and once you get used to the control scheme you'll have a blast.
    No Regret wasn't too shabby either

Also, should check out Ecstatica 1 and 2 if you haven't

19. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Actually flag that. System Shock 2 hits GOG late today. A much better classic to jump in to.
    Yeah I saw that, I'll change my purchase.

20. Post
    Just had a quick check and ResidualVM has updated its first "full" public release.

Seems like the rendering errors have been pretty much squashed now and errors have been fixed that were present in the original too.

I'll create a ResidualVM thread with links and updates.

21. Post
    cryocore wrote:

I loved that game back in the high school days but going back to it last year was a tad impossible lol.. Who owns the rights to the series anyways? I'd love to see the Crusader games back in action.

22. Post
    Wall o text warning, and background of this post; I didn't read much of the op, I didn't read any of the replies, but this is my feelings about all sub forum requests...

GD doesn't have enough activity to warrant splintering forums further. You'll just end up having a dead forum that people don't visit, and losing a bit of traffic in GD.

I'm probably a very average GP user, I come on here and check GD and OD, there may be other forums I'm interested in, but don't have the motivation or time to find them.

Because there is a majority of browsers just like me, average joe, set in their ways, sub forums seldom take off, if they do, they die quickly, people forget to check them.

Even some of the larger threads in OD would die in a sub forum, World of Tanks etc. but if you look closely at it, there is probably only a limited number of participants compared to the post count. And if you imagine each idea in the thread having it's own thread, with limited replies, it'd look sad indeed.

So, what can you do. If you want to be noticed (at the moment I don't see any threads on the topic of your sub forum request), start tagging your thread title with [classic gaming], you'll get better responses from average joes like me, because I'll actually see the thread. And if the forum gets too cluttered with this type of thread, you'll have a better chance of getting a sub forum.

If you clutter up this forum with threads with limited replies, then you'll soon see that there isn't the interest, and you'll probably get a warning about creating multiple uninteresting threads.

If you spot a thread that needs a tag, [classic gaming], [emulator] etc. PM me and I'll add it. But on that note, please remember that unless you own the original cartridge or whatever, it's still piracy and will be locked if it steps over the piracy line.

23. Post
    Yes.

GD main is okay, but anyone after classic gaming discussion might be put off by the screenfuls of threads about whatever AAA titles people are playing at the time, and risk of classic threads going OT onto modern stuff. I know I've been put off making threads about classics for these reasons in the past.

24. Post
    DumKopf wrote:
    Wall o text.
    Sorry I think that reasoning is fundamentally flawed.
    As it stands anything of a niche nature is lost in the tide of current gaming news, announcements, and discussion around upcoming releases.

Having sub forums means those trending topics remain the core driver of hits and responses but anyone interested in other areas can just skip to the relevent area and not bother with it, old threads wont get lost, and any info in there is a lot easier to find. More importantly for the majority any topic that is niche, or game/genre specific wont end up in the GD general area so it wont be adversely affected at all.

There is a reason that libraries, DVD stores, department stores, Amazon, or anywhere for that matter has sections/catergories/zones. So that its easier to find what you want, and you dont have to deal with shit you dont care about, or arent interested in.

the attitude about sub-forums here is moronic imo. The people who dont care for them arent even remotely affected if they are created.
    There should be a MOBA sub forum (even though I personally have ZERO interest in the MOBA genre at all, but why should people be forced to use a thread in GD? There should be a Classic/Mod sub forum. This whole splintering the forums argument is just idiotic. Making this easier to navigate and avoid area you're not interested in is not something to be avoided, and the "lack of traffic" argument is equally pointless. The people who want it will use it, so who cares if its not a traffic heavy area its still useful.

Trying to filter everything through GD is just GP trying to look active. It has nothing to do with how it affects posters. Or at least thats how I see it, because the sub forums will not adversely affect anyone at all.

Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Yes.

GD main is okay, but anyone after classic gaming discussion might be put off by the screenfuls of threads about whatever AAA titles people are playing at the time, and risk of classic threads going OT onto modern stuff. I know I've been put off making threads about classics for these reasons in the past.
    My thoughts exactly.

25. Post
    Sanitarium is currently 60% off at GOG!

One of my favourite horror games, and an enjoyable if easy Adventure as well. Well worth a look if you like some twisted shit and insanity in your games.