1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    God of War was groundbreaking? practically everything, the very core of the gameplay, is ripped straight from the vastly superior Devil May Cry series. It frustrates me to no end that people assume God of War was ever new or original. It's merely Devil May Cry aimed at a mainstream audience.

The only thing God of War has ever impressed me with is the scale of it's major boss battles. I'll probably give this one a rip on that basis alone.

3. Post
    The T shirt looks cool but that is about it for me

4. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    God of War was groundbreaking? practically everything, the very core of the gameplay, is ripped straight from the vastly superior Devil May Cry series. It frustrates me to no end that people assume God of War was ever new or original. It's merely Devil May Cry aimed at a mainstream audience.

The only thing God of War has ever impressed me with is the scale of it's major boss battles. I'll probably give this one a rip on that basis alone.
    Sure, it was influenced by what came before it, but so is everything - nothing exists in a vacuum.

I'd argue that God of War was groundbreaking due to the way it combined the flowing, combo-based combat of DMC and others with gratuitous violence against both men and women; due to its wholesale appropriation of Greek myths and historical figures; due to the scale of its levels and boss fights; due to its willingness to feature nudity (something that is still a taboo of sorts); and because its graphics at the time were some of the very best on the PlayStation 2.

5. Post
    Ramza standing up for hackneyed Jap franchises, what a surprise

6. Post
    Ramza wrote:

Except for the fact that DMC was utterly nonsensical , of course.

7. Post
    ^
    If you're playing DMC for the plot, then you're missing the point. This is true for a lot of Capcom games really (and my extension, titles by Platinum Games).

8. Post
    That's my point. That is how GoW is different - it actually has a plot (even though it's not exactly in-depth or great writing) that you can follow.

9. Post
    for the last time GoW did not copy DMC and DMC is by no means a 'superior' game

10. Post
    **** GoW1 was enjoyable.

11. Post
    attack_by_fire wrote:
    Sound logic. I'm convinced.

In all seriousness though, i believe in giving credit where it's due, DMC3 is the benchmark for the genre. As eva said, DMC has never been about it's plot but it still should have been the one, to fill your dark souls with LIGHT.

12. Post
    It's a rich poor man's DMC.

13. Post
    attack_by_fire wrote:
    What? Of course it did, as did a bevvy of other action games ( Darksiders, Castlevania : LoS and Dantes Inferno )

14. Post
    are you kidding me? first of all God of War doesnt even have any guns

15. Post
    attack_by_fire wrote:
    are you kidding me? first of all God of War doesnt even have any guns
    What's that got to do with the price of fish? The mechanics of the game are similar.

16. Post
    so by your logic then all RTS games today ripped its core gameplay from Dune 2?

17. Post
    attack_by_fire wrote:
    so by your logic then all RTS games today ripped its core gameplay from Dune 2?
    More or less, if it wasn't for Dune 2, we wouldn't have had C&C etc...

Westwood's Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty (1992) featured all the core concepts and mechanics of modern real-time strategy games that are still used today

18. Post
    I was tired of God of War by the time I finished 2, unfortunately. As far as Hack 'n Slash games go, I always preferred Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry.