Bikes, want one.

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 2,401 to 2,422 of 2422

1. Post
    darkness_nz wrote:
    You really should take the https://www.prorider.co.nz/ (Ride Forever) courses asap then. Not just the basic skills. Do the bronze course then move up from there. (Some insurance providers refund the course fee and drop your excess).

At your size you are going to find the suspension on the small bikes softish. I'm 6.2 and a fatty over 100kgs. The MT-07 wallowed in the back with me on it as did my old Monster 600. Hate to think what a 150 would be like.
    Yea I think if I pass this thing from them , I get some other free courses available so I might just do those asap as you say. I wonder if that's why red baron chucked me on the bigger bikes and didn't even give me a look inn the smaller ones?

Hopefully the first few weeks in January i'll be posting a picture of the new bike here. Provided I don't fail miserably on the course.

2. Post
    I passed the basic skills test without much bike experience. But this was many years ago at the Auckland motorcycle club. The guy coached as I went. You should be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. Post
    Passed my BHS today, was shitting bricks but the guy said i had a couple of errors to spare. We probably only got up to 25kmh by **** it was fun. Having never sat on a bike before I thi k i surprised myself and the guy was pretty good at explaining things.

Only stalled it a couple of times through outt the 2.5 hours and veered out the cones only once haha. Also found it much easier turning right than left, so the final tests were easier due to the right turns.

Definitely nowhere ready to tackle the Muriwai - St Lukes commute �� socwill definitley take their other courses once I pick up a bike,
    Now just have to talk the misses into it.... or just get one and let her deal with it.

4. Post
    just practice your stop/starts to avoid stalling. Do the ride one weekend as a test. Leave early one morning to make it less rushed, and don't worry about lane splitting etc yet, get used to it.

Remember you can use T2 lanes and city bus lanes.

5. Post
    Lemieux_66 wrote:
    Passed my BHS today, was shitting bricks but the guy said i had a couple of errors to spare. We probably only got up to 25kmh by **** it was fun. Having never sat on a bike before I thi k i surprised myself and the guy was pretty good at explaining things.

Only stalled it a couple of times through outt the 2.5 hours and veered out the cones only once haha. Also found it much easier turning right than left, so the final tests were easier due to the right turns.

Definitely nowhere ready to tackle the Muriwai - St Lukes commute �� socwill definitley take their other courses once I pick up a bike,
    Now just have to talk the misses into it.... or just get one and let her deal with it.
    nice. congrats!!

6. Post
    Lemieux_66 wrote:

This looks surprisingly mint.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1888053473.htm

You're going to stuggle with the 3-4K budget I feel. I was 50/50 on one of these for a long time for many reasons. This one would have pushed me if it was up for sale 6 months ago.

7. Post
    Did some research into turning the r3 into a race bike. Looks like about 2 grand to get suspension to a competitive set up for the 300 supersport class.

8. Post
    1 Nasty Kiwi wrote:
    Did some research into turning the r3 into a race bike. Looks like about 2 grand to get suspension to a competitive set up for the 300 supersport class.
    The 300 class is extremely competitive and can be very expensive, beware.
    I was looking at racing 300s because I thought it'd be a good entry level class but after speaking to a few of the guys that race them, I realised how wrong I was. You're more restricted to what you can do to them compared to the likes of the 600s and 1000s but they still pump a lot of money into them. Suspension, set up, engine work, exhausts etc. Then you've got tires, safety gear, travel costs, licence and entry fees etc
    I was also thinking about the 250 Production class but unfortunately they're removing the class next year

I was at the NZSBK Round 1 at Ruapuna today, I spoke to a pit crew member of one of the 1000cc bike teams and he said their tire bill per season was around $24,000! Obviously the smaller capacity bikes aren't going to be anywhere near that kind of expense, but I know a few of the rich kids go through a few sets of tires a race meet.
    Last edited by jdz; 6th January 2019 at 9:40 am.

9. Post
    Is the Hyosung cup still running? That's a good way to start racing at a relatively low cost. I imagine there'll be an influx of people if Production 250s is being canned.

10. Post
    snaffta wrote:
    This looks surprisingly mint.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1888053473.htm

You're going to stuggle with the 3-4K budget I feel. I was 50/50 on one of these for a long time for many reasons. This one would have pushed me if it was up for sale 6 months ago.
    Only if buying newer, I'd always suggest a used bike around 2-3k to start. That way if you drop it it's not a panic moment.

Once you've built confidence, then increase your budget.

My first was an 89 VTZ250 that was 2k (before LAMS came in) and I'd never been on a motorcycle before, had the seller drop it off. Took him home in my car. Rode it around the driveway and street, then went for my basic handling a week later.

Once I got my restricted I rode it down to Wellington a couple times (would not recommend, replaced it with a cruiser after the second time because it was murder on my back).

Bike was dropped once or twice and aside from the usual mirror and peg replacements, I didn't watch a couple grand get shaved off like you would if you buy new.

Something like these:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...468e1307275867
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...97422f81944371

At those kinds of prices, as long as you don't destroy it you'll also be able to sell it for basically what you paid. You even scratch a new bike and it's half the buy price, and 75% if you don't.

Edit: Or just cut to the chase and buy this one:
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/5...uper-Blackbird

11. Post
    I brought my first bike CBR300R for $6500 and sold for $6000 12 months later with 15k km. Then my next bike after a year not riding was a R3 new for $7k and sold 18months later for $6400 with 20k km. That one had some scratches on as some dick at work decided to push the row of bikes over one day for kicks

12. Post
    bought a GN250 for my first bike - from memory it had done 5500kms and cost ~$2400
    great learner bike.
    And since i was still learning i didnt worry about it too much when i fell off on black ice and when i dropped it like a noob.

Dont buy an expensive first bike.
    Hell, even my second bike was $6k

13. Post
    Thanks for some of those links, i've also talked to a couple of guys and they've said similar just get a 2k 250cc bike to learn on as when you want to upgrade it'll still roughly be worth around 2k.

I'd be doing a similar thing of getting someone to drop it off and then i'd pay fo ran uber home or drop them off in my car and learn to ride it around the streets when its quite. I'm in no massive rush to be honest as my car hasn't had any bites yet xmas must be a bad time to sell cars.

I could imagine getting the upgrade/change bug pretty quickly considering how I go through a car a year as I get bored of something.

14. Post
    I'll say it again a hyosung gt250r would be a great starter bike.

15. Post
    I didn't start that long ago really. But because I had a bigger budget i started with a 90s Monster 600, for just under 6k. it is on the lams list. Great bike but you need to be a bit mechanically inclined, it is a 90s Italian bike.

Good neutral handling though, torquey, sounded awesome and was fast enough to have fun. I did have to rebuild the carbs, it ran like crap when I got it.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

16. Post
    Someone starting out should get this, will be another 500 bucks or so for ORC:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1887733512.htm

Looks like Red Baron is closing down, so you'll lose out on warranty/CGA when they actually close but will get a cheap (3k) 250 that's got basically new consumables everywhere, serviced and has just been complied, aka put through checks more stringent than a regular WoF.

They also seem to have some reasonable deals on new bikes but that one is probably the best you'll get in the < 3k range.

17. Post
    Katanas are so weirdly cool. They're like an exaggerated parody of 80s Japanese motorcycle styling.

18. Post
    Does anyone know if there's any Hyosung gt250r for sale?

19. Post
    Loads on trademe.

20. Post
    jdz wrote:
    The 300 class is extremely competitive and can be very expensive, beware.
    I was looking at racing 300s because I thought it'd be a good entry level class but after speaking to a few of the guys that race them, I realised how wrong I was. You're more restricted to what you can do to them compared to the likes of the 600s and 1000s but they still pump a lot of money into them. Suspension, set up, engine work, exhausts etc. Then you've got tires, safety gear, travel costs, licence and entry fees etc
    I was also thinking about the 250 Production class but unfortunately they're removing the class next year

I was at the NZSBK Round 1 at Ruapuna today, I spoke to a pit crew member of one of the 1000cc bike teams and he said their tire bill per season was around $24,000! Obviously the smaller capacity bikes aren't going to be anywhere near that kind of expense, but I know a few of the rich kids go through a few sets of tires a race meet.
    Yip, it's the travel costs that will kill it for me. Hyosung cup looks like the go. I'll look at a gt250r later in the year once the next season is confirmed

21. Post
    snaffta wrote:
    Does anyone know if there's any Hyosung gt250r for sale?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/NSbu...12444271&rt=11

If you're not part of the group, this was posted an hour ago:
    Name:  a.PNG
Views: 43
Size:  651.3 KB

22. Post
    1 Nasty Kiwi wrote:
    Yip, it's the travel costs that will kill it for me. Hyosung cup looks like the go. I'll look at a gt250r later in the year once the next season is confirmed

Jealous that you guys have the Hyosung cup, we don't have that down in the South Island.
    I'm looking at getting an SV650 and running that in ProTwin.

You can pick up a 2007 Full power version for $4,000, remove a few things and it's ready to race.
    1 set of tyres per race meet, no fancy electronics allowed, minimal modifications to the bike as a whole.