Home reno's/DIY

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Daynger wrote:
    Floor grinding is noisy as ****, also dusty as ****.
    You should be able to get it done though, just might be limited on hours it can be done, really depends on the BC rules, committee and building manager.
    BM is the first person i would talk to.
    Any concrete grinder guy should be able to do the job.
    Thanks for the advice!

2. Post
    On the flooring subject I do have a 16m roll from a cancelled job looking to shift on if anyone is looking at getting carpet done Solution dyed nylon 75oz great stuff. Pm me if interested

3. Post
    Cost of recladding? 97ish sqm rectangle, single story. Mostly weather side cladding now.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

4. Post
    Depends what you recladding in. Are you recladding because of weaghertightness issues? Straight recladding is probably in the region of 80 to 100k given what similar jobs have cost others. Can go up from there for fancy cladding and a lot of people choose to update joinery etc at the same time as its not going to be cheaper than doing it when the cladding is off.

5. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Cost of recladding? 97ish sqm rectangle, single story. Mostly weather side cladding now.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    Its not the cladding that costs, its what is rotten underneath that usually doubles or triples the original costings.

6. Post
    Just built me some shelves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shelves.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	731.9 KB 
ID:	227537

7. Post
    Nice, I just built me an airing cupboard too. Was the old HW cupboard, but now has much more room for airing clothes. Came up a treat

8. Post
    Bi-fold doors - where can I get some that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
    I don't understand why all wardrobes aren't bi-fold doors!

9. Post
    I saved heaps by not putting doors on my wardrobes!

10. Post
    Use the Floordrobe

11. Post
    mmd wrote:
    Bi-fold doors - where can I get some that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
    I don't understand why all wardrobes aren't bi-fold doors!
    Having a laugh or did you not just answer your own question?

Bifold wardrobe doors are what i'd expect to see on older houses. What don't you like about standard two door setups?

My linen cupboard with standard doors. Never need to get access to the whole thing at once and a door opening into the room would annoy me. All wardrobes look the same and have a 4 door cupboard in hall on two rails. Simple and effective.
    Spoiler:

12. Post
    New Deck, railing, stairs and partial cover going on this week - should be completed next week

http://iforce.co.nz/i/ihlztqus.1ll.jpg

13. Post
    A new garden bed to fill in a wasted area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pHPZURH.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	648.7 KB 
ID:	228079

Attached Images

14. Post
    Question, I'm close to stripping all the wallpaper in my hallway and was wondering if I should get a drywall sander and dust extractor? Or its just overkill for home DIY. I will be sanding down all the walls before sealing and I have probably two walls around 1-2m to plaster (whole wall) and bits and pieces elsewhere.

The combo I've been looking at is the Makita :

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/makit...-volt/p/350733

or just get a manual pole sander like this and get a good dust extractor:

Pole sander:
    https://colorex.co.nz/shop/products/...anding-system/

Dust extractor:
    https://www.rands.co.nz/product/8603...h-cleaning-set

Actually no idea why the heck is the manual pole sander so dam expensive but apparently its the best on the market. Its pretty much the cost of a cheap drywall sander.

15. Post
    I'd get a quote from a plasterer at those prices. They will do an awesome job.

16. Post
    Strip the wall paper first and see how it looks. I have mates that ended up gibbing over the top as it was easier than fixing the mess left behind by the wallpaper haha. I'd also just pay someone to come in and plaster the whole lot rather than buying that gear.

The expensive pole sander looks to be half of the extractor system too. Trade gear is certainly a bit more spendy than DIY spec stuff you'd typically see at M10 / Bunnings. Full manual sander is like $55 for the head. You might be able to hire the whole setup for reasonable money?
    Last edited by Fragluton; 24th January 2020 at 1:51 pm.

17. Post
    Seems expensive to buy the gear!

18. Post
    Torquenstein wrote:
    A new garden bed to fill in a wasted area.
    This looks good man, nice and solidly built unlike most DIY raised gardens i've seen.

19. Post
    As has been mentioned pay someone who owns the gear already and knows how to use it.

Or

Hang a product like Glasstex over the existing wallpaper then paint that, would be half the price.

20. Post
    Thanks guys for the advise.

I actually checked out hiring the gear and it was 128 per day and thought after a few days I would've just bought the gear.

I will take your advise and get a plasterer in. The last time I asked someone to come in and remove the wallpaper, he quoted me $3000 which shocked me (as it was just the hallway and the living room area which wasn't big) so it stirred me off getting a plasterer or any tradies in to do the job lol.

Does anyone know any tradies that can do the job and not rip both my balls off?

bradc wrote:
    As has been mentioned pay someone who owns the gear already and knows how to use it.

Or

Hang a product like Glasstex over the existing wallpaper then paint that, would be half the price.
    Couldn't find the product online. Is it an in-store thing?
    Last edited by yuRiko; 24th January 2020 at 5:16 pm.

21. Post
    Do what you can to make it cheaper. We stripped our wallpaper and prep sealed it. Plasterer only came to do skim coat and sand. Local old guy did it after his main jobs for something like $100cash for our bedroom as lived just up the road

22. Post
    I'm trying to get some stuff for my wardrobes. Like the wardrobe organizer stuff. I basically need some additional clothes rails and shelves. I've got some white wire stuff right now and its good enough.

How do I get some of this without spending an arm and a leg? The stuff at Bunnings is fine but that's $250 or whatever per wardrobe... I have 5. FML.

23. Post
    That cost is pretty reasonable in the scheme of wardrobes but if you wanted something cheaper you could try something from Wish or AliExpress.

24. Post
    wigglywormnz wrote:
    Do what you can to make it cheaper. We stripped our wallpaper and prep sealed it. Plasterer only came to do skim coat and sand. Local old guy did it after his main jobs for something like $100cash for our bedroom as lived just up the road
    True. I just posted up on builderscrack and got varying quotes. Ranging from 500-1500. All had equal amounts of good review lol. It's crazy how people quote stuff nowadays.

25. Post
    Anyone giving you a figure without looking at the job should generally be ignored. The problem quoting stripping wallpaper is that it's rarely the same twice. Some wallpaper just pulls off in nice clean sheets, only leaving the coarse residue of glue on the wall. At the other end of the spectrum you can have wallpaper hung over lining paper and the wallpaper delaminates and you have to scrape off teeny tiny pieces of the backing paper after wetting it multiple times. You don't know until you start doing the job how easy or hard it is so you'll get a wide range of quotes, the cheapest is going to assume it's the easy way.

You could try testing one corner to see how easy it pulls up. If it's super easy then you're well off.

Glasstex gets sold by various names. Resene sell an equivalent but I can't remember what they call it, it's textured fibreglass wallcovering. You hang it over existing wallpaper or irregular surfaces then just paint over.