NZ Politics General Discussion Thread

Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
(8 votes)
Results 13,351 to 13,367 of 13367

1. Post
    TVNZ Leaders Debates

31 August,7.00pm, TVNZ1 National Party’s Bill English and Labour’s Jacinda Ardern
    8 September,7.00pm, TVNZ1 Potential coalition leaders
    20 September,7.00pm, TVNZ1 National Party’s Bill English and Labour’s Jacinda Ardern

THREE Leaders Debate

4 September, 8.30pm, Three

Labour’s Jacinda Ardern and National’s Bill English go head to head in front of a live audience of undecided voters at the Vodafone Events Centre in Manukau, hosted by popular and unbiased broadcaster Paddy Gower.

2. Post
    So NZF is going to re-nationalise the power companies and only pay the original price on the shares.

Then to solve the housing crisis they will nationalise your homes and pay only what the first owner paid for them.

3. Post
    brand wrote:
    So NZF is going to re-nationalise the power companies and only pay the original price on the shares.
    No they aren't, Prosser was talking out of his arse.

Seymour called him out and Peters (as much as he can be trusted) also said that was incorrect.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. Post
    Tbh TOP is personality politics for people who think they don't fall for it - the entire party is based off Gareth Morgan's traditional "I know what's best for you" approach to the public sphere. I'm a bit suspect of it's supposed base, which as far as I can see in the public sphere and online, is 90% comprised of male STEM types who think they're above politics and the smuggest "muh evidence based policy" people you'll ever see. These types are never as equality minded as they like to loudly say they are.

Take this post as ya want, I'm a bleeding heart lefty.

5. Post
    I really don't get why Seymour hates trains. I get the love for Uber, but why can't we have both?

6. Post
    purplez wrote:
    Tbh TOP is personality politics for people who think they don't fall for it - the entire party is based off Gareth Morgan's traditional "I know what's best for you" approach to the public sphere. I'm a bit suspect of it's supposed base, which as far as I can see in the public sphere and online, is 90% comprised of male STEM types who think they're above politics and the smuggest "muh evidence based policy" people you'll ever see. These types are never as equality minded as they like to loudly say they are.

Take this post as ya want, I'm a bleeding heart lefty.
    I honestly just really like their taxation policy. I don't find their others unagreeable other than the making kids learn Maori one (I agree with making them learn a language with it being an option for the record, just not specifically Maori).

7. Post
    ED wrote:
    I really don't get why Seymour hates trains. I get the love for Uber, but why can't we have both?
    Any promotion of public transport is seen as a communist-based direct affront against libertarian drive-my-car-anywhere-i-want values.

8. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Any promotion of public transport is seen as a communist-based direct affront against libertarian drive-my-car-anywhere-i-want values.
    I'd be more inclined to blame NZTA who don't know how to do rail, and the road lobby group tbh.

Edit: Just had a look, NZTA don't even fund rail as it is funded separately.

9. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    I honestly just really like their taxation policy.
    As soon as he said he would tax the family home at $$ p.a., it lost my vote. Tax rentals, tax homes held in trusts or companies for the capital gain when sold, regardless of how long it has been held - 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years. Just subtract the purchase price from the sale price and pay a %. In Fiji, this is 10%.

10. Post
    And this moron is hosting 3 of the debates....I'll be tuning in for the joy of seeing him say sorry http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11910304

11. Post
    It's about ratings. Hosking is going to deliver a very centre-right friendly debate. Which is a huge chunk of the voter base, and TVOne viewers.

12. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    As soon as he said he would tax the family home at $$ p.a., it lost my vote. Tax rentals, tax homes held in trusts or companies for the capital gain when sold, regardless of how long it has been held - 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years. Just subtract the purchase price from the sale price and pay a %. In Fiji, this is 10%.
    It's an estate tax. You don't pay it. If you're aware of that, why don't you consider that to be adequate?

13. Post
    bradc wrote:
    It's about ratings. Hosking is going to deliver a very centre-right friendly debate. Which is a huge chunk of the voter base, and TVOne viewers.
    Which could work out - if Hosking brings in the National-sorta voters, and Ardern puts on a damn good show, then she might swing some.

14. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Haven't you been saying you were going to vote NZ First for about 2 years now? I don't see how TOP 'lost' your vote.

15. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    It's an estate tax. You don't pay it. If you're aware of that, why don't you consider that to be adequate?
    Eh? Has their policy changed? Its not an estate tax on their website (just because their is an option to defer if you are over 65 doesnt make it an estate tax). All the rest of us most certainly will be paying it.

16. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Which could work out - if Hosking brings in the National-sorta voters, and Ardern puts on a damn good show, then she might swing some.
    It'll be a minority, most of the target audience wants to defend or reinforce their position, not challenge it.

17. Post
    Mikos wrote:
    Eh? Has their policy changed? Its not an estate tax on their website (just because their is an option to defer if you are over 65 doesnt make it an estate tax). All the rest of us most certainly will be paying it.
    Oh, I must of misinterpreted something one of the TOP candidates said recently. You're right.