1. Post
    Picked up a Pixel 3A for my dad yesterday morning - was expecting to have to wait a couple of weeks for local release but it got announced at Google I/O at 4:30AM local time and was in my hands (via JB Hifi) at 9:00AM, pretty impressive.

It's pretty impressive for the price (AU$650) - has effectively the exact same camera hardware as the Pixel 3 (minus the visual core co-processor which means HDR processing is a little slower).

Still no dual sim though, I'm still holding out for the Pixel 4.

2. Post
    The Mrs' S7 has packed it in so I'm looking for a replacement. She mainly uses her phone for FB/Reddit etc, no gaming or particularly demanding usage. Camera quality is important. Any ideas on a replacement? I don't think she requires a flagship phone really, so am thinking a good deal on something a bit newer than the S7. Doesn't have to be Samsung.

Also, are refurbished phones an option or a no go?

3. Post
    JPAR wrote:
    The Mrs' S7 has packed it in so I'm looking for a replacement. She mainly uses her phone for FB/Reddit etc, no gaming or particularly demanding usage. Camera quality is important. Any ideas on a replacement? I don't think she requires a flagship phone really, so am thinking a good deal on something a bit newer than the S7. Doesn't have to be Samsung.

Also, are refurbished phones an option or a no go?
    Cameras are really Huawei's department right now. The P30 Pro is great, as is the Mate 20 Pro if you want to trade some camera quality for a better screen and facial rec. Otherwise the P20 Pro is cheaper these days and still better than the S10's cameras

4. Post
    I think any flagship after the S7 has a decent enough camera to be a point and shoot, if your using a smartphone for photography your doing it wrong.

5. Post
    Many people, including me, find it much more convenient to just use our phones for photography. I'm not an enthusiast and it's convenient to just use the device that's always nearby anyway rather than having to worry about taking a second one along everywhere I might wish to take a snap.

6. Post
    That’s my point. Any recent flagship (even some cheap to midrange) is enough for just a point and shoot for holiday snaps etc. No real photographer is using a smartphone for professional use.

What I’m saying is it doesn’t need to be a Pixel or Huawei to get a good enough photo, the difference is that minimal.

7. Post
    GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    That’s my point. Any recent flagship (even some cheap to midrange) is enough for just a point and shoot for holiday snaps etc. No real photographer is using a smartphone for professional use.

What I’m saying is it doesn’t need to be a Pixel or Huawei to get a good enough photo, the difference is that minimal.
    In optimal lighting conditions probably but in low light or challenging conditions Huawei is clearly ahead. If you are after a camera phone why not opt for the best camera phone in that price range?

8. Post
    I'd generally agree that the Huawei possibly has the best photo camera, but on the flipside if video is something you'd do occasionally, then it's not that great.

But imo, any recent flagships will be good camera-wise. Pixel 3A could be a go-er imo.

9. Post
    Yeah I'm super impressed with the 3A, but it'd be a grey import

10. Post
    Thanks for the advice. Not really looking to spend over a grand though, more in the $600 - $700 range (or less). Any ideas on the best value there?

edit - also answering the photos question. Mostly photos and videos of the kids on a day to day basis, nothing fancy but you can definitely notice the difference between phones!

11. Post
    JPAR wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. Not really looking to spend over a grand though, more in the $600 - $700 range (or less). Any ideas on the best value there?

edit - also answering the photos question. Mostly photos and videos of the kids on a day to day basis, nothing fancy but you can definitely notice the difference between phones!
    Pixel 3A.

12. Post
    brand wrote:
    In optimal lighting conditions probably but in low light or challenging conditions Huawei is clearly ahead. If you are after a camera phone why not opt for the best camera phone in that price range?
    And that would be a recent/older flagship or a Pixel 3a given the budget.

13. Post
    FYI Amazon.com is carrying the 3A/3AXL and will ship to NZ - e.g. 3A is US$399 + $8 shipping + $84.05 import fees = US$491.12 (so about $65 more than the RRP in Australia, but probably not a bad option - plus Amazon will almost certainly discount at some stage).

14. Post
    I haven't really been following the pixel 3A what is so special about it? It seems to have very middling specs for the price.

15. Post
    That's not a bad deal.

16. Post
    brand wrote:
    I haven't really been following the pixel 3A what is so special about it? It seems to have very middling specs for the price.
    It has basically the same camera setup as the Pixel 3 for significantly cheaper (it's only missing the Visual Core, and that really just affects how quickly e.g. HDR is processed). Obviously they have cut other costs, but if you mostly care about photography, it's pretty much unbeatable at it's price point.

17. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    It has basically the same camera setup as the Pixel 3 for significantly cheaper (it's only missing the Visual Core, and that really just affects how quickly e.g. HDR is processed). Obviously they have cut other costs, but if you mostly care about photography, it's pretty much unbeatable at it's price point.
    I thought most of that was software not hardware? People have ported the Pixel camera app over to Samsung etc and reported good results.

18. Post
    brand wrote:
    I thought most of that was software not hardware? People have ported the Pixel camera app over to Samsung etc and reported good results.
    Bit of both, I reckon. I'm running the ported camera app on a Mi Mix 2 (which has the same Sony IMX363 sensor) and my wife's Pixel 3 still shits all over it (especially in low/poor/variable lighting conditions). In good lighting and optimal conditions there's not much in it, but there's a massive gulf in low light.

Additionally not that many phones have camera2 api enabled out of the box, so it's a much more noob-friendly process (vs unlocking bootloader/rooting/editing build.prop etc).

19. Post
    The specs on the 3A are underrated imo. The SD670 is comparable to the 835 from the Pixel 2/2XL. I've used the gcam mod on Oneplus devices with excellent results. Greatly improves the picture quality.

The Pixel 2/2XL is another option especially when they can be had for a steal these days. E.g https://www.goodtech.co.nz/collections/google-pixel-2

20. Post
    Echoe wrote:
    The specs on the 3A are underrated imo. The SD670 is comparable to the 835 from the Pixel 2/2XL. I've used the gcam mod on Oneplus devices with excellent results. Greatly improves the picture quality.

The Pixel 2/2XL is another option especially when they can be had for a steal these days. E.g https://www.goodtech.co.nz/collections/google-pixel-2
    Those Pixel 2's are refurbs.

21. Post
    N04h wrote:
    Those Pixel 2's are refurbs.
    Still have warranty, have purchased a couple for family members and they are like new.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

22. Post
    anyone looking for a really good phone , you cant go pass this for the price

https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/spa.../R2460475.html