Page 2 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    1, Lumia 920
    2, Cheapest phone in my budget, wanted to be hipster and try wp8
    3, Till it dies, then off to android or lets hope microsoft makes wp8 more op

2. Post
    technoguy wrote:

Please answer a few initial questions:

1) What model do you have
    2) What made you buy it instead of the alternatives
    3) How long do you intend on keeping it
    1)HTC 8S (Blue)

2)In the last 3 years I have had iPhone 3G, 4 /iPad 2, Galaxy S2, Nexus 7, HTC Trophy 7 and now this HTC 8S. That means I've been around the block OS-wise and I liked WP the most. When I need it as a phone WP works perfectly, both iOS and Droid had issues that made them unreliable. Obviously app choice is the elephant in the room problem, but I don't really notice it - my biggest gripe is the unreliableness of FB Message integration, but they're fixing it (known fault on status.live.com). The OS is faster and the battery lasts longer, my S2 had the expensive 3600mAH battery and the 8S lasts longer under the same use. The reason I chose the 8S specifically is form factor, it's the same as the Trophy 7 and I liked that phone the most (plus the Nokias are butt ugly oO )

3)Probably until Q2 2014 when I'll upgrade to a WP9 device with larger internal memory plus SD Card slot (8S is 4GB plus slot).

3. Post
    Needs an update from me:

1) Samsung Ativ S
    2) Again to get something different from the S3/S4 zombies, familiar with Windows Phone now, have been raving about it to everyone so would be natural for me to upgrade to WP8. Got a Samsung since 2degrees doesn't sell the 920
    3) I'll keep it until it breaks or until I get upgraded again. Samsung build quality is a total joke, I can't believe people actually like their phones, feels like I can break it in half just by bending down while its in my pocket. So I imagine I'll be breaking this soon and upgrading to a Nokia 1020, a proper Windows Phone

4. Post
    1) Lumia 720

2) Price for the hardware ($299 on sale and I wanted a decent camera) and I wanted to try WP8 out.

3) Not sure yet. I'm really enjoying it overall, love the hardware and WP8 actually seems very good, but have also found a couple of annoyances though I did sort of know about the first on when I bought it (no SIP client and no podcasts in the NZ store were the first 2)

If I decide not to keep it I think the Mrs is quite keen on it. She really likes how all the social networking stuff seems to integrate and really likes the live tiles look. The People app actually seems really good if you're into facebook, twitter and all that malarkey.

5. Post
    ^ go to the settings app, then language + region and change country/region to United States. reboot phone

go the marketplace/app store and podcasts will shot up and you will be able to play it in the music hub.

and yea it sucks that there is no SIP client available.

6. Post
    Sadly I have tried changing region already and it didn't work. I then tried also changing language too and even that didn't work. Yes I rebooted after both changes.

I found reports that migrating my xbox account might work (which also changes your live id region)
    http://support.xbox.com/en-NZ/billin.../change-region

but I haven't tried this yet - not really sure what other implications there would be to this. I'm guessing nothing major (might get access to more US content on xbox?) so will probably give it a try anyway.

7. Post
    I did the xbox region migration to US and have not looked back. perhaps that is the reason why I get access to the podcasts section. apps are cheaper ofcourse, more apps are available in the US store. I get the netflix, hulu+ apps show up on my xbox as well due to a US gamertag and digital downloads of xbox games are USD$60 ~ $77. so win win altogether

only caution you have to take is that, your NZ credit card will not work with a US microsoft/gamertag account as when you try and re-add your credit card to the xbox account to download paid apps from phone or xbox games for console, it knows your billing address is set to something overseas other than US.

luckily with ASB, you can login online and change the address for your cards to an overseas address (I used YouShop US address), add the the card on xbox's website so it's authorised forever and then you can change your address back to NZ one on the ASB website staright after so your bank mails still turn up at your NZ address.

the other downside is that if you are running windows 8, you get free music streaming on those machines if you are signed with a Microsoft account. When you sign in, it knows that your account is US and free music streaming stops working unless you buy a monthly music pass which will let you stream and download unlimited music on the windows phone, Xbox, windows 8 machines and and on the web. It checks your IP to be a NZ one and thus stops the streaming.

you can only change the Xbox region every 3 months btw

8. Post
    Sweet, yup, that has done the trick - I now have podcasts!

(after jumping through some hoops to get my correct gamertag associated with correct Microsoft account)

9. Post

1. 920
    2. Same shit as original post
    3. I'm HANGING out for a windows phone 8.1 that looks like the 720 which I believe is the PINNACLE of design but I have to have 1080p video, max resolution screen and decent ram/drive space. I'm thinking I'll hold out till about November when this comes out.

10. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    1. Lumia 620
    2. Good experience with Nokia more than 10 years ago. Also coming from someone who never had any interest in smartphones, for some reason WP appealed.
    3. Could be tempted by a new model with a really high-res screen. Although in the past have used phones for 6+ years.

11. Post
    1) Samsung GT-I8350
    2) My Windows phone was a freebie that came with a Canon SLR Camera.
    3) Hopefully not much longer as the screen is cracked and I've let it slip out of my hands too often that all of the hits it as taken as damaged its memory and it occasionally loses data like texts coming through or texts I send.

Even though I have a few self inflicted problems with it I really like the Windows 8 OS and my next phone probably will be a Windows 8 phone aswell.

12. Post
    Just received a Lumia 928 in the mail, the camera is incredible, the AMOLED screen is beautiful and in the process of buying cases and wireless chargers. So excite.

13. Post
    Windows Phone now holds 15% of the NZ smartphone market in less than 3 years since launch. Doing good.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times.../Hardware-wars

14. Post
    I see that Telecom is now selling the Lumia 1020. DAT 41MP camera goodness.

http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pe...a-1020-yellow/

15. Post
    1) Nokia Lumia 520
    2) Had the Galaxy S4 but was to big and expensive for use as a music player at the gym/running etc. Wanted something compact and cheap so I wouldn't have to worry about it much. Mix Radio got me looking at budget Nokia device so naturally the 520 was the pick to test if I liked WP8.
    3) I have ordered a new Android phablet already but will keep the Lumia for day to day phone/txt/music use. The music quality isn't the best on the 520 though so I may look at replacing it in the new year unless a graphic equalizer becomes available for the 520 in an update or in the apps store.

16. Post
    IronH wrote:
    1) Nokia Lumia 520
    2) Had the Galaxy S4 but was to big and expensive for use as a music player at the gym/running etc. Wanted something compact and cheap so I wouldn't have to worry about it much. Mix Radio got me looking at budget Nokia device so naturally the 520 was the pick to test if I liked WP8.
    3) I have ordered a new Android phablet already but will keep the Lumia for day to day phone/txt/music use. The music quality isn't the best on the 520 though so I may look at replacing it in the new year unless a graphic equalizer becomes available for the 520 in an update or in the apps store.
    The Nokia Mix Music service doesn't work in New Zealand shouldn't have updated....

17. Post
    ImAMurray wrote:
    The Nokia Mix Music service doesn't work in New Zealand shouldn't have updated....
    Here's how I got it to work:
    1) Turn OFF location setting
    2) updated mix radio through apps store (if you already have update you could try uninstall and reinstall)
    3) Turn ON airplane mode
    4) launch Nokia music and you should now have mix radio
    5) Turn OFF airplane mode - mix radio still works
    6) I've heard turning ON location may stop mix radio from working but I haven't tried, if anyone has please let me know.

18. Post
    Now have a HTC 8x - Best phone I've ever had.

19. Post
    Does anyone have the ASB app on windows phone 8? What features does it have and whats the login method? e.g. once you've set it up is it just a 4 digit pin to login? Does it have full functionality for funds transfers, bill payments etc?

20. Post
    mr selfdestruct wrote:
    Does anyone have the ASB app on windows phone 8? What features does it have and whats the login method? e.g. once you've set it up is it just a 4 digit pin to login? Does it have full functionality for funds transfers, bill payments etc?
    5 digits pin. And Yes to everything else re funds transfer, bill payments etc.

21. Post
    1. Lumia 820 until last night when it was stolen in Wellington. Looking towards the 1520 as a replacement.
    2. bought it over the 920 because it had expandable memory which I value over more cloud storage. 1520 looks gorgeous, like the pro-class and HD video. 1020 looks cool also, 41 freaking MP camera
    3. Wanted to keep my 820 for a long, long time. Unfortunately the criminal underbelly thought otherwise. the 1520 should see me well into the future, I like the way in which WP as an OS works and flows. It ties in very well with my Xbox 360 and home theatre setup and since my work is looking to switch from using iPads and iPhone5s (which I hate) to W8 computers and devices Id like to stay a step ahead.

does anyone know what it's like to buy mobiles through Mobicity in Auckland? I can't see the 1520 listed in any stores in nz so far and time is a bit of an issue at the moment.

22. Post
    ^ MobileStation is good to deal with. They also have a physical store in Auckland CBD.

http://www.mobilestation.co.nz/shop/...oducts_id=1878

else Clove always gets my vote which is based in UK

http://www.clove.co.uk/nokia-lumia-1520

23. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    ^ MobileStation is good to deal with. They also have a physical store in Auckland CBD.

http://www.mobilestation.co.nz/shop/...oducts_id=1878

else Clove always gets my vote which is based in UK

http://www.clove.co.uk/nokia-lumia-1520
    awesome thanks dude,
    may be a silly question but I'd assume that theres no compatibility issues with devices through these stores? The guy in the Telecom store said that he'd be hesitant to trust them but surely they'd work just fine here

24. Post
    Grey Brother wrote:
    awesome thanks dude,
    may be a silly question but I'd assume that theres no compatibility issues with devices through these stores? The guy in the Telecom store said that he'd be hesitant to trust them but surely they'd work just fine here
    Lumia 1520, Lumia 1020 have no issues working in NZ even if they are parallel imported as they are SIM unlocked.

I buy my phones parallel imported that are SIM unlocked. Have had no issues with any of the carriers in NZ. The High end lumia's incl mid range one's support all 3 mobile networks in NZ.

I see that expansys have Lumia 1520 as well. Just so you know the expansys price excludes GST. I bought my last phone from them for myself and wife (Nokia Lumia 720). Works great. Comes from Hong Kong. You can always get lucky and not get pinged for GST by customs on arrival. But do add the 15% to your budget if you are going to buy it from expansys just in case.

http://www.expansys.co.nz/s.aspx?sea...20lumia%201520

25. Post
    Grey Brother wrote:
    awesome thanks dude,
    Bought a galaxy mega from mobilestation, it came with NZ charger and english manual and english packaging, phone was in english. My boss liked it so much she ordered the exact same phone a week later. Her one arrived with european wall charger with an Nz adapter, manual and packaging was in french, phone was in chinese (easily switched to english). Both purchases were hassle free with great communication and updates from mobilestation. Just luck of the draw with who is cheapest when they source the product for you from overseas I guess.