1. Post
    1) What model do you have
    2) What made you buy it instead of the alternatives
    3) How long do you intend on keeping it

1) Lumia 1520-turned up today just in time for Christmas. Think i skipped paying the GST on it also, works perfectly. Friggin' huge though.
    2) Latest model with all the knick-knacks, upgrading after my 820 got stolen, prefer Nokia to other brands thanks to their reliability and user-interface. Plus W8 is pretty cool to work with.
    3) to be kept indefinitely, too big to take into town so with luck wont be getting stolen like the last one. recommend if you like the gadgets, but one the size closer to the 920 is probably a better idea

2. Post
    ^ nice. did you buy it from expansys? If you have not received a call before getting the goods delivered via courier then off the 'pay GST' hook

3. Post
    1. Nokia Lumia 520
    2. Won it from the Vodafone 24 days of Xmas competition.
    3. Until it dies. Never had a smartphone before and was still using a $29 basic thing until winning this. Loving Windows Phone so far. Was not attached to IOS or Android before obviously but I was at least familiar with Android through playing with my partner's phone and I find Windows to be a much better experience. It's fast and really user friendly, and while the range of apps may not be as vast as Android or Apple I've managed to find options for everything I want so far.

4. Post
    Lumia black is not far away!

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/...-black-update/

New Zealand

Product Description Latest version Lumia Amber update Lumia Black update
    Lumia 520 Telecom 3046.0000.1329.2007 Available Waiting for approval
    Lumia 520 Vodafone 3046.0000.1329.2009 Available Waiting for approval
    Lumia 625 Telecom 3046.0000.1328.1001 Available Waiting for approval
    Lumia 625 Vodafone 3046.0000.1328.1006 Available Waiting for approval
    Lumia 820 Vodafone 3047.0000.1328.3009 Available Waiting for approval
    Lumia 920 Telecom 3049.0000.1330.0010 Available Waiting for approval
    Lumia 925 Vodafone 3051.40000.1345.1007 Available Available
    Lumia 1020 Country variant 3050.0000.1338.1003 Available Coming soon

5. Post
    Anyone using a Lumia 1520 on telecoms network? I bought a 1020 from parralel import but telecom didnt show in the networks so I had to take it back. Vodafone and 2degrees were there and also I know 2 people who use Nokias from P.import but also same deal, no telecom shows up. If anyone knows the reason for that, would be really helpful. I'd love a 1520 but if I cant get telecom on it then it'd just be useless.

6. Post
    Both Lumia 1520 and Lumia 1020 work with all 3 mobile carriers in NZ regardless of the retailer you purchased it from be it even a parallel import. If you want a AIO phone then go for the Lumia 1520. If you need a great camera then go for Lumia 1020.

7. Post
    That's the thing though, I went for the 1020 but telecoms network didn't pick up even in the city. The store is having it sent off for repairs but my friend with a 1020 also shows that telecom isnt in the network selection. If you're running an imported lumia, go to network selection regardless of your network and see what networks show up. Would help me out because I'm holding off on purchase for that reason.

8. Post
    Dumb question but did you have 3G and all that associated stuff turned on? I had a similar problem with an iPhone 4 were I couldn't discover Telecom's network without everything on.

What does evernone think of the Nokia 625? Seriously thinking of ditching my iPhone just want a relatively smooth user experience and nice large screen without droping to much cash (Under $500) and Androids in this price range seem pretty poor qaulity devices.

9. Post
    Lumia 625 are great handsets. We now offer Lumia 520, Lumia 625 at work now.

Lumia 625 has a 4.7" display, front facing camera, LED flash at back, 4G and bigger battery compared to the 520. I like the thinness of the 625 as well over 520.

have a look at expansys.co.nz for Lumia 625 and Lumia 525 (same specs as 520 but with 1GB RAM)

10. Post
    Koyukon wrote:
    That's the thing though, I went for the 1020 but telecoms network didn't pick up even in the city. The store is having it sent off for repairs but my friend with a 1020 also shows that telecom isnt in the network selection. If you're running an imported lumia, go to network selection regardless of your network and see what networks show up. Would help me out because I'm holding off on purchase for that reason.
    try a different SIM card or as above poster said, make sure 3G is turned ON in the phone. both Lumia 1520 and Lumia 1020 are designed to work with all 3 networks in NZ over 3G at least.

11. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    try a different SIM card or as above poster said, make sure 3G is turned ON in the phone. both Lumia 1520 and Lumia 1020 are designed to work with all 3 networks in NZ over 3G at least.
    I know a couple people who also tried for me on their p.import nokias and no telecom. Tried 4g,3g,2g telecom was just a no show. Tried to get telecom to drop their price on the 1020 down but they refused. They're $325 more expensive than p.import. My only options now are to wait for prices to drop, wait for new phones to come or just not get a new phone. Would be nice if some of you guys checked on your imported nokias if telecom shows up in the network list.

edit: apparently I can flash a AU version to fix the issue.
    Last edited by Koyukon; 21st January 2014 at 9:03 pm.

12. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    ^ nice. did you buy it from expansys? If you have not received a call before getting the goods delivered via courier then off the 'pay GST' hook
    sure did, got it for a shade over $800. My Lumia 820 cast $720 a year and a half ago so a bloody good deal.

I recommend this phone but only if you have large hands. It's gigantic. But it is beautiful, has a wicked camera and lasts around 36 hours with wifi and 3g on, few photos and some net browsing. would buy again (but i hope i dont have to)

edit: As per the above problems with mobile carriers-any chance the handsets aren't fully unlocked? expansys and the other importer I was looking at for my 1520 all provided unlocked phones that can use any SIM. Im running on 2Degrees with mine, works a treat. last i heard 2Degrees piggybacks Vodafone and(?) Telcom networks
    Last edited by Grey Brother; 23rd January 2014 at 10:56 am.

13. Post
    If I was to pick up this Lumia 525 from Expansys it'll be fine on any NZ network? Probably be used on either Skinny which is Telecom or 2Degrees.

Also Expansys service is good? I see them mentioned a few times in this thread.
    Last edited by void; 25th January 2014 at 11:39 pm.

14. Post
    Grey Brother wrote:
    edit: As per the above problems with mobile carriers-any chance the handsets aren't fully unlocked? expansys and the other importer I was looking at for my 1520 all provided unlocked phones that can use any SIM. Im running on 2Degrees with mine, works a treat. last i heard 2Degrees piggybacks Vodafone and(?) Telcom networks
    Yeah the place i bought my phone informed me yesterday the phone i had bought wasnt running the correct firmware and so the nz networks werent picked up properly. I'm not sure now whether to go for an imported phone or a network sold phone. The 1520 or the 1020. Got a lot of weighing up to do

15. Post
    Koyukon wrote:
    I know a couple people who also tried for me on their p.import nokias and no telecom. Tried 4g,3g,2g telecom was just a no show. Tried to get telecom to drop their price on the 1020 down but they refused. They're $325 more expensive than p.import. My only options now are to wait for prices to drop, wait for new phones to come or just not get a new phone. Would be nice if some of you guys checked on your imported nokias if telecom shows up in the network list.

edit: apparently I can flash a AU version to fix the issue.
    \

Can confirm no issues with Telecom 3G on my 928, couldn't text out on their LTE sim

16. Post
    void wrote:
    If I was to pick up this Lumia 525 from Expansys it'll be fine on any NZ network? Probably be used on either Skinny which is Telecom or 2Degrees.

Also Expansys service is good? I see them mentioned a few times in this thread.
    Will not work with Telecom/Skinny. The Lumia 520 from expansys only works with Vodafone and 2Degrees.

17. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    Will not work with Telecom/Skinny. The Lumia 520 from expansys only works with Vodafone and 2Degrees.
    Thanks technoguy. Do you know where I could get a 525 that would be compatible with both networks? Otherwise I'll grab a 520 locally but that extra RAM in the 525 is very tempting.

18. Post
    void wrote:
    Thanks technoguy. Do you know where I could get a 525 that would be compatible with both networks? Otherwise I'll grab a 520 locally but that extra RAM in the 525 is very tempting.
    So far, only 1 variant of Lumia 525 exists which only supports Vodafone/2Degrees in NZ (UMTS/3G 900MHz and 2100MHz).

You will have to wait for either AT&T in US, Telecom NZ or Telstra in Australia to pick this device in order for Nokia to release a variant with the UMTS/3G 850MHz band which these networks work on. I think it should be anytime now as Lumia 520 is already over a year old and will be phased out in favor of 525.

19. Post
    Thanks again you have been really helpful in this thread.

20. Post
    http://www.mobicity.co.nz/nokia-525-lumia.html

Would this one work on Skinny? It says it works on telecom 3g and telecom xt.

21. Post
    ZK-Awesome wrote:
    http://www.mobicity.co.nz/nokia-525-lumia.html

Would this one work on Skinny? It says it works on telecom 3g and telecom xt.
    Nope it will not. It even says in their own specs sheet on the page UMTS/3G 900MHz and 2100MHz only. Skinny/Telecom work on UMTS/3G 850MHz. It will only work on Vodafone or 2Degrees.

22. Post
    Windows phone 8.1 developer preview has been out for a while - it's quite nice.

Liking the new stuff.

23. Post
    Yup, upgraded. It's pretty cool. Columns 5 and 6 are good.

24. Post
    Got the Lumia 625 which i've found to be fantastic. everyone has a go because its windows but have honestly found it to be simple and easy to use. Although have been a bit frustrated with the notifications that i dont always seem to get

25. Post
    1) What model do you have - Lumia 520 & just ordered a Lumia 1320
    2) What made you buy it instead of the alternatives - Mix Radio, HERE drive, their size (4.0" & 6.0") and because they are inexpensive
    3) How long do you intend on keeping it - probably keep the 520 until it dies, the 1320 I'm not sure about, depends how much I like it