Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Windows Phone owners thread - [No Trolls]

This is a thread for owners of an Windows Phone, who purchased one, even with all the alternatives available around them.

Please answer a few initial questions:

1) What model do you have
    2) What made you buy it instead of the alternatives
    3) How long do you intend on keeping it

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's mine

1) Nokia Lumia 720 White
    2) Best value for money phone available in the market. Slick OS, easy to use and intuitive.
    3) Will replace after one year.

[NO TROLLS PLEASE]

We can then discuss our Windows Phone handsets and how we like them and how we use them.

2. Post
    1) LG Quantum 7Q
    2) Something a bit different. Apple was just too yawn inducing, and limiting. Android seemed really unstable and hogged too much resources. Liked the ease of developing apps too.
    3) Have had it for 1.5 years, will keep until company upgrades me. Hopefully to a Nokia WP8

3. Post
    1: Lumia 920 Red
    2: Its awesome, And Red.
    3: Will keep it till it dies, or something much much better comes out in the next 3-5 years

4. Post
    As an experiment I have stickied these three threads. I endorse the no trolls rule.

However i must add tongue in cheek:
    1) Lumia 520
    2) I won it, no choice there
    3) A week , its being sold.

This is an impressive phone for $299 entry price. Its on par with the 710 but adds microsd slot. Its camera isn't amazing but reasonable for the price. 4" screen is decent. Pretty speedy. Built quality is still decent, but the physical buttons definitely aren't as good as other high end lumias. Would happily recommend to anyone wanting this sort of device.

5. Post
    lueyyou wrote:
    1) LG Quantum 7Q
    2) Something a bit different. Apple was just too yawn inducing, and limiting. Android seemed really unstable and hogged too much resources. Liked the ease of developing apps too.
    3) Have had it for 1.5 years, will keep until company upgrades me. Hopefully to a Nokia WP8
    Urgh, bought one of those for my girlfriend because she INSISTED on a physical keyboard. She hasn't touched the physical keyboard once and it made the phone twice as thick and twice as heavy and the screen keyboard on Windows Phone is awesome.

1) Samsung Focus i917
    2) MicroSD slot, removable battery, AMOLED screen
    3) Until I can get a Lenovo K900, but end of the year at most, it's now two years old and still going strong.

6. Post
    1) HTC 8X
    2) I liked the style/shape/feel/size compared to the Samsung and Nokia options for Windows Phone 8 and was tired of Android and wanted to try something different (not an apple fanboi).
    3) Probably ~2 years, dependant on how good new stuff coming out is.

7. Post
    1) Nokia Lumia 520
    2) Had a Samsung Omnia 16GB t-mobile unlocked and wanted to stay WP based. Warehouse had 20% off mobiles and was on a tight budget and sadly the 720/920 were beyond what I could afford. Both iOS and Android don't do much for me and like the layout / live tile look of the OS.
    3) Having only just bought the 520 hopefully at least a year+. Will see what is out then and prob get another Nokia or WP based phone.

8. Post
    1: Nokia Lumia 920 Red
    2: Wanted something that was a bit different from the black and white handsets that most phones come in (plus it came with a free charging plate which was a bonus). Also loved my WP7 handsets (Omnia7 & Lumia 800) before this so was always going to go to WP8 when it released.
    3: Hard to tell to be honest. Until something significantly better comes along I imagine.

9. Post
    Nokia Lumia 610

Got it for dirt cheap while I was in Hong Kong

Used it once, hated it, now its sitting over there collecting dust. Wouldn't connect to my wifi, and when I connected to my 2degrees MBB, it wouldn't connect to the zune store because it was zoned for asia and a factory reset didn't fix it.

10. Post

Lumia 920

Had an HTC, don't really want to go back.
    No need for plastic samsung stuff with a blue screen
    Sony was tempting
    Nexus 4 was the biggest thing - but it's made by LG = insta crap
    Love my nexus 7 though

Couple of years, or until windows phone 8 dies or a nice new nexus comes out

11. Post

GPforums Windows Phone 8 Room

Calling all Phone 8 owners! Let's start a Windows Phone 8 "Rooms" chat to discuss latest news, views and opinions and share media on Phone 8 at the convenience of group messaging delivered directly to our handsets

Gimme your mobile number and I'll add you

12. Post
    umm what is wrong with discussing WP8 here? more members will learn about the OS when it's public.

and lol at giving mobile numbers to strangers.

13. Post
    1. Lumia 920
    2. Epic camera, love flipping live tiles, love how you can pin shit within an app to your start screen, love having a user centric phone instead of an app centric phone
    3. Probably another 12 months, I do like the look of the 720 but screen/camera not quite as good and no 4g, wireless charging :/

14. Post
    technoguy: I'm sure lots of Phone 8 owners want to try "Rooms" out, it's like WhatsApp but JUST for us

15. Post
    Ativ S
    Have/had a Lumia 800, wanted more that 8 phones offered.
    When they replace my current phone with a new model

16. Post
    1) 920 Black
    2) Upgraded from HTC TD2 running WM6.5. Have a Nexus 7 at home, don't like the feel of android.
    3) Plan to keep it for at least 2 - 3 years until something significantly better comes out

The Lumia 920 is way to slippery naked, forcing me to get a TPU case for extra grip.

Anyone got the dust problem under the front camera fixed?

17. Post
    ^ You can contact Nokia Care Center in Auckland. They will fix the dust problem free of charge. Even free shipping etc both ways.

18. Post
    Lumia 800
    Bought because of OS + slick looking phone.
    Plan to consider replacing when iPhone 6 comes out (will decide whether to go iOS, WP or Android then). Lack of apps is still a big problem with WP for me..

19. Post
    Lumia 920

Not interested in an overly restrictive experience, so iOS is automatically ruled out. I've used flagship Androids for the last couple years so was interested in trying something different.

Windows Phone 8 is a very slick OS - much smoother experience and transitions even though on less powerful / older chipset than some of the competition.

The handset itself is gorgeous, I have no issues with the alleged "slippery" back, battery life is impressive, camera is second to none at the moment.

All of the above made the Lumia 920 the obvious choice.

As long as the Windows App Store catches up over the next 1-2 years I don't expect to be moving on to another device for quite some time, and I expect to continue using Windows Phone for quite some time.

Considering I first got into Android in it's early stages, I'm pretty impressed by this relatively young OS / ecosystem. Leagues ahead of where Android was in it's first couple years.

20. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    ^ You can contact Nokia Care Center in Auckland. They will fix the dust problem free of charge. Even free shipping etc both ways.
    Oh yeah, for about the shop in New Market. Thanks.

21. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    As long as the Windows App Store catches up over the next 1-2 years I don't expect to be moving on to another device for quite some time, and I expect to continue using Windows Phone for quite some time.
    Situation hasn't really changed in the year I've been using it so I'm starting to get a bit tired of it..

22. Post
    yeah the Marketplace is pretty shoddy, and looks like its easy to con, the $5.99 "battery saver" thats just a text file telling you to turn off bluetooth, and is filled with angry reviews, yet has 5 stars and sits at the top of the "best" apps list

23. Post
    Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
    Situation hasn't really changed in the year I've been using it so I'm starting to get a bit tired of it..
    you won't find interesting or must have apps on WP7 anymore due to the API limitations and developer interest for that version platform. WP8 has many big name apps that will never come to WP7 simply due to the API limitations.

24. Post
    1) Lumia 800 (personal)/ Lumia 820 (work)
    2) I got the Lumia 800 as it was free, and I wanted to see what the Windows OS was like.
    Chose the Lumia 820 as a work phone for ease of use with office being included, as a huge percentage of my work emails are word/ excel documents
    3) I'll keep my personal one until it breaks, as it does everything I need. I think we are on 24 month replacement plans for work phones.

25. Post
    Lumia 800

Liked the style/camera/UI from reviews, has not disappointed.

Plan on upgrading to 920 soon, or better - Windows Phone has got a fiercely loyal ex-'both other' smartphone customer in me.