1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Good, he's nothing but a homophobic man child who use to play well.

3. Post
    "This is why it was never really an issue for us that Greg can be rude to his opponents in games." Condoning poor sportsmanship is one of the biggest issues facing eSports. You're not "psyching your opponent out", you're being a manchild-douche on an international stage. Grow up.

4. Post
    James wrote:
    Condoning poor sportsmanship is one of the biggest issues facing eSports.
    But they're not, they're doing the exact opposite.

There's nothing wrong with letting a players personality shine through (even if you don't like them), especially in an age where outside of competitive matches they're expected to host personal streams and have integrated social media tabs at all times. In fact this familiarity with players on a personal level creates more meaningful rivalries and grudges matches when they don't get along with other teams. Now that's not to say there shouldn't be a line of acceptable behavior (clearly there is given EG's actions here), but trying to create a purely sterile environment would unquestionably diminish part of what makes watching eSports enjoyable.

The best examples I can give are the rivalries found in the Fighting Game Community, that often lead to high profile money matches where players are essentially forced to put their money where their mouth is.

Here's an example: Fanatiq vs Ray Ray, the amount of "hype" generated by this match was a direct result of the personalities behind the on screen characters (and the insane amount of money on the line). Striking that balance of player personality freedom and professionalism is key, clearly EG know this.

5. Post
    EG aren't doing the opposite, they're drawing the line at insulting spectators.

No question there should be rivalries and grudges, without these any competitive league in any activity would be very sterile, as you say. I'm simply suggesting that the frequently immature way in which many pro gamers communicate those grudges demonstrates that there's a lot of room for improvement.

If eSports wants to grow beyond its niche (as many proponents certainly hope) it needs to win over new, wider audiences. Grown men hiding behind monikers and insulting one another like spoiled children isn't going to help achieve that?

6. Post
    James wrote:
    EG aren't doing the opposite, they're drawing the line at insulting spectators.
    So do you believe that had he taken the same abhorrent attitude towards another player EG would have done nothing? Apparently their track record says otherwise.

EG fires Orb from broadcasts for dropping the N-Bomb in game...

Evil Geniuses (a Starcraft 2 clan) had recently announced that they had brought on Orb to cast their Master Cup Series. Almost immediately afterward screenshots surfaced on reddit showing Orb tossing out n-bombs at his opponent in a ladder match in a derogatory manner.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/sla...he-n-bo/91636/

James wrote:
    I'm simply suggesting that the frequently immature way in which many pro gamers communicate those grudges demonstrates that there's a lot of room for improvement.

If eSports wants to grow beyond its niche (as many proponents certainly hope) it needs to win over new, wider audiences. Grown men hiding behind monikers and insulting one another like spoiled children isn't going to help achieve that?
    I agree that in some instances players need to be reigned in, but I do think you're overstating the severity of the problem as far as sponsored "eSports" goes (public games/players are a whole different ballgame mind you). I easily watch over 25 hours of competitive streams a week, from RTS, Fighting games, MOBAs and virtually anything else that piques my interest, and I can unequivocally say that as far as the professional scenes go for each respective genre sponsored players are about as well behaved as you would expect in any sport.

Also as far as grown men, monikers and insults being prohibitive to growth go, if that were true we wouldn't have to deal with wrestling shows on TV constantly.

7. Post
    seanhinton wrote:
    Also as far as grown men, monikers and insults being prohibitive to growth go, if that were true we wouldn't have to deal with wrestling shows on TV constantly.
    Yep, touche.

That said, I don't want eSports to become wrasslin'.

8. Post
    James wrote:
    Yep, touche.

That said, I don't want eSports to become wrasslin'.
    This sentiment I am 100% behind.

9. Post
    Dota 2 is the only esport that I really follow and I can tell you that the community as a whole cringes over certain players who are constantly abusive dickheads and aren't sportsmanlike (CWM, PGG).

10. Post
    Jp did a good realtalk interview with him after all the shit went down.
    I used to really hate Idra for being a dick most of the time but i think all sports need their villains to keep things interesting.
    I wish him well in his next endeavour.

11. Post
    bang ya dead wrote:
    Good, he's nothing but a homophobic man child who use to play well.
    You mad that your not glorious cis master race?

12. Post
    Slight tangent but is it an idea to censor the swear words so you don't get any complaints?

13. Post
    CoolShady wrote:
    Slight tangent but is it an idea to censor the swear words so you don't get any complaints?
    There is a swear filter you can turn on in game if you are a bit sensitive.

14. Post
    gg