General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 5065

1. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Don't those i9s throttle like crazy though?
    Lethargic wrote:
    Nah they fixed it with a firmware update. Sometimes the CPU temp does spike up to 80+ but that's usually because a process is either hung or an application is using the CPU intensely.
    Anyone whose built an i9 system would tell you this is not really 'fixed'. The power demands, and subsequent heat generation are nothing like i7's, basically require watercooling, to avoid throttling. The software patch may have removed some performance hit, but theres no way an all in one build, even by apple is going to do a good job of using so much power and dispersing the subsequent heat.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...u,5847-11.html

2. Post
    Anyone know if Apple iPhone XS brought in the US would work fine in NZ (2 Degrees)? Only different I can see is the US models lack LTE Band 28 which apparently NZ/AU use so coverage could be worse.

Price of a new phone (bar import tax) is NZD$700 cheaper. I'm in the US for a month with work again and thinking of downsizing from the 8+.

3. Post

4. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Anyone know if Apple iPhone XS brought in the US would work fine in NZ (2 Degrees)? Only different I can see is the US models lack LTE Band 28 which apparently NZ/AU use so coverage could be worse.

Price of a new phone (bar import tax) is NZD$700 cheaper. I'm in the US for a month with work again and thinking of downsizing from the 8+.
    This seems to come up quite often, it's not worth buying a phone that doesn't have the correct bands for NZ.

More often than not your phone will be stuck on 3G without band 28

5. Post
    defiant wrote:
    This seems to come up quite often, it's not worth buying a phone that doesn't have the correct bands for NZ.

More often than not your phone will be stuck on 3G without band 28
    Thx yeah I went in and also found that iPhones donít have international warranty like other Apple products so that threw the plans out.

Did look at picking one up from duty free in the way back as itís about $220 cheaper but then run the risk of getting stung $100+ import tax so just going to swallow it and buy it when Iím back.

6. Post
    Didn't want to start a whole new thread on this so thought I'd just post here to ask.

I noticed on my desktop last night that my streaming was a bit rubbish. I have an old ass USB WiFi adapter plugged into it. Ran a speedtest and couldn't believe it.. my desktop gets 2Mbps down, whereas my phone in the same room same location gets the full 100mbps for my fibre connection.

Any reason why I shouldn't just buy this cheap and easy Intel Wireless-AC 8265 Kit and be done with it?

7. Post
    Make sure it has an external antenna.

8. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Make sure it has an external antenna.
    I'm a muppet, forgot to post the link to the item - https://www.tailormade.kiwi/index.ph...5-desktop-kit/

Yep, has dual antennas.

9. Post
    The ones I got (gigabyte I think) have an magnetic mount. Worth it imho.

This one: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...and-AC1733--Bl

10. Post
    Any reason you can't run some cable from the modem to the desktop?

11. Post
    Does the new Android OS have a "Do not disturb while driving" function?

As an aside I picked up an iPhone 8+ case that has a magnetic function that allows you to remove the phone plastic case from the leather wallet, but strong enough to keep the phone in it in normal use.

12. Post
    It has a 'Do not disturb' button that you can flick on or off or schedule. Nothing specific to driving as far as I am aware, though I have mine hooked up via Bluetooth for hands-free via the car stereo, so can't say I've looked into that.

13. Post
    Tasker or something would easily set this up. I'd be very surprised if there isn't an app to do exactly what you want.

14. Post
    Apple iOS has that function, hence why I was asking if Android had it.

15. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Apple iOS has that function, hence why I was asking if Android had it.
    And it does, in the form of a app.

16. Post
    Just don't be a pleb and embrace bluetooth.

17. Post
    You could probably just use a NFC tag to do that too.

18. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Does the app need to be running?

19. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Does the app need to be running?
    No

20. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    It's part of Android Auto. Which is installed in most phones by default.

21. Post
    Tasker = Automation

Automate everything.

22. Post
    I reckon it could be

23. Post

nice

24. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Does the new Android OS have a "Do not disturb while driving" function?
    That's a very specific requirement, do you run a trucking company?

I remember Windows Phone had it, not that I ever used said function so many years ago.

25. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    That's a very specific requirement, do you run a trucking company?

I remember Windows Phone had it, not that I ever used said function so many years ago.
    Apple iOS sends any caller or texter who contacts me while driving an automated message that I'm am driving and will contact them at the next available time.