General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 5096

1. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Clear browser cache?
    Nah, tried my other browsers and it was the same, cleared itself up after ten minutes or so.

2. Post
    Anyone know of a way to mount monitors in a... reverse pyramid? Without wall mounting? Don't think landlord would appreciate a bunch of holes in the wall.

Current setup is this:

But i want to move the two outside monitors to be on top of the middle one.

The two outside monitors are U2717D's so 27" / 4.5kg~

3. Smile
    If you have Asus Fan xpert 2 running on your machine is it ok to remove it?

It wasn't in programs and features and there wasn't an uninstall file, So i disabled it in services and deleted the folder it was in and removed the registry entries with Ccleaner.

All good??

The fans still go and temps look ok, i just hope i didn't do anything wrong.

4. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    If you have Asus Fan xpert 2 running on your machine is it ok to remove it?

It wasn't in programs and features and there wasn't an uninstall file, So i disabled it in services and deleted the folder it was in and removed the registry entries with Ccleaner.

All good??

The fans still go and temps look ok, i just hope i didn't do anything wrong.
    Why would you bother to do that?

The software is used to control the fan speeds so you can set them to run slower at lower temperatures for better noise. Without the software the fans will just run according to the bios fan setting.

5. Smile
    brand wrote:
    Why would you bother to do that?
    I was getting messages in the action center saying it stopped working a few times a month,
    I never use the software anyway.

Can i go into my BIOS and crank the fan speeds up now?
    Might do that when summer comes round.

6. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Anyone know of a way to mount monitors in a... reverse pyramid? Without wall mounting? Don't think landlord would appreciate a bunch of holes in the wall.

Current setup is this:

But i want to move the two outside monitors to be on top of the middle one.

The two outside monitors are U2717D's so 27" / 4.5kg~
    Bratek to a post style multi monitor arm system that'll do what you want, it's design for 4 but is modular so you can change how many you want

7. Post
    So this HT vulnerability

Still trying to find out how my PC could get attacked? And would I get attacked doing my normal stuff on normal mainstream websites

8. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    I was getting messages in the action center saying it stopped working a few times a month,
    I never use the software anyway.

Can i go into my BIOS and crank the fan speeds up now?
    Might do that when summer comes round.
    Yeah remove it, no manufacturer software is necessary, windows run best without those kind of things added on.

9. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Still trying to find out how my PC could get attacked? And would I get attacked doing my normal stuff on normal mainstream websites
    I wouldn't be worried to be honest, would have to be suuuuuper unlucky to ever be affected by it.

I would say that though, with my AMD system

10. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I wouldn't be worried to be honest, would have to be suuuuuper unlucky to ever be affected by it.

I would say that though, with my AMD system
    agreed

the attack vector for a standard pc is tiny, it's basically the ability to read memory from other applications from a different application

so either
    - some malicious program gets installed on the pc then uses the cpu architecture vulns to read from other applications (if you can install software then why bother? just keylog instead)
    - some javascript browser attack using the cpu vulns (spectre/meltdown + the new HT stuff) - which browsers are mitigating, timing attacks

The main attack that this vulnerability is useful for is in the 'cloud' or other shared hosting environments aka reading information from applications/servers of other customers.

personally i wouldn't be too worried unless some viable remote proof of concept comes out

11. Smile
    If an I5 and an I7 both have an 84w TDP does this mean they will both produce the same amount of heat?

Edit--

CPU's in question, a 4670 and a 4770.
    Last edited by Magic Robertson; 27th May 2019 at 9:20 am.

12. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    If an I5 and an I7 both have an 84w TDP does this mean they will both produce the same amount of heat?

Edit--

CPU's in question, a 4670 and a 4770.
    It means they're rated to produce no more than 84W, so a cooler capable of 84W will be safe to use.

Usually the TDP is of the consumption/heat output of the highest performing processor in the lineup, and the rest are lower.

Better processors, though, are often higher binned, so a less efficient chip would become the i5 and more efficient the i7, so it may not necessarily be a linear drop.

Reminds me of the Pentium G620, it had a 65W TDP but never consumed more than 35W (there was extensive reviews on this), but they didn't call it a 35W part because the Pentium G620T existed which cost more and was a 35W lower clocked part.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...ds=53480,53481

Chucked one in an ITX case with a 35W cooler and it went great.

13. Post
    TDP is often worthless too. I mean just check out the "TDP" of a 9900k. It won't run at spec with that power limit.

Check reviews to get actual power consumption results, as above.

14. Post

That monitor...

15. Post
    That's really nice.

16. Post
    So looks like the monitor is $5000, then you'll need to spend another $1000 for the stand... That's USD by the way.

$1000 for a stand?

Only Apple would have the balls to try that.

...I do want it though.

17. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    So looks like the monitor is $5000, then you'll need to spend another $1000 for the stand... That's USD by the way.

$1000 for a stand?

Only Apple would have the balls to try that.

...I do want it though.
    It looks so nice, but yeah 1k for a stand? ouch

18. Post
    The stand alone costs more than what my 43" 4k monitor did a couple of years ago... Apple gonna Apple though.

Hell, the far superior (from a build and utility perspective) Ergotron cantilever sit/stand wall mount I have it on, cost half of that.

19. Post
    Cheese grater

Last edited by Lethargic; 4th June 2019 at 6:02 pm.

20. Post
    I'd go as far as to give Apple credit for not saying "The first ever customisable computer" which I expected to hear.

21. Post
    Loved the audience gasp/laugh at the price of the stand. Bet thatís the reason they havenít put up the video of the keynote on apple.com yet. Itís usually up really quick.

22. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Cheese grater

Urgh, it's awful.

What on earth happened to their design team? Are they outsourcing to India now?

That's not a cheese grater, if I had to describe it as anything it would be one of those blind floor panels you see at pedestrian crossings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal-tactile-paving-tiles-blind-450w-792553867.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	226265

They probably have the same intended audience.

Or like, this thing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ugly-5.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	488.9 KB 
ID:	226266

23. Post
    Saw the $1000 stand. Apple has officially lost its mind. Steve Jobs would be disgusted.

24. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I'd go as far as to give Apple credit for not saying "The first ever customisable computer" which I expected to hear.
    There was an outtake on the radio of them describing this new amazing innovative feature on the iwatch - the ability to listen to live baseball. Imagine that... live audio of a sports game on a mobile device. Who would've thought!

25. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Loved the audience gasp/laugh at the price of the stand. Bet that’s the reason they haven’t put up the video of the keynote on apple.com yet. It’s usually up really quick.
    https://youtu.be/YuW4Suo4OVg haha