General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.00 average.
(10 votes)
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 5446

1. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    The way 5G works it is actually better used for a home internet connection than mobile, in places that don't have the fibre infrastructure we have it is going to be implemented that way first. It will be everywhere eventually as it is needed for Iot.
    I don't think the IoT thing will happen with 5G for the same reason it didn't happen with 4G, ISPs like to set a price floor on connections, and right now that price floor is what, $16/month for 1GB of data? Lets say to boost adoption that's pushed out to 5GB of data.

It's still a price floor of $16/month per connection. And hell if I'm going to start paying another $16/month per device I own for something WiFi can offer for free.

Okay, so they offer a $8/month IOT data plan for that same 5GB. Sweet, I'll chuck one of those in the second SIM slot on my phone and downgrade my main plan. Eating into sales for mobile phones.

Also I'm not going to pay $8/month per device in my home that WIFI can do for free. So I would only have the one connection but will be paying less money.

Okay, connections are free now but you pay per data block. Is it cheaper than the data on my phone? Again, second SIM slot, eating into sales.

I might then possibly consider having a 5G IoT device...if it leaves my house and needs a constant dedicated data connection (so I can't share my phone data). If it doesn't leave my house I'll just get the WiFi version, which is free.

2. Post
    We already have 4G available for rural connections, but don't have the capacity to offer uncapped plans. Unless 5G is somehow going to alleviate those capacity problems its not going to do much to address rural high-speed availability.

Also whilst 4G can offer great speed, what is delivered fluctuates dramatically. I can get 4G speed that far exceeds my fixed line connection, but it would also fluctuate to < ADSL speed at various times of day, so I had to switch back to ADSL for its consistent speed. If 5G is susceptible to these same fluctuations it may not be a suitable fixed line replacement.

3. Post
    My parents have the spark 4G rural internet and god it's awful, probably in large part due to the router they provide for the connection but constant drops and all sorts in an area with reasonable signal (Marshlands chch)

4. Post
    Same as my parents and its a ****ing rip off at $1 per GB with no rollover but the alternative is 2MBps DSL.
    Yeah router is a shitty Huawei model which appears to have the imei linked to it so not easily changeable.

5. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    I don't think the IoT thing will happen with 5G for the same reason it didn't happen with 4G, ISPs like to set a price floor on connections, and right now that price floor is what, $16/month for 1GB of data? Lets say to boost adoption that's pushed out to 5GB of data.

It's still a price floor of $16/month per connection. And hell if I'm going to start paying another $16/month per device I own for something WiFi can offer for free.

Okay, so they offer a $8/month IOT data plan for that same 5GB. Sweet, I'll chuck one of those in the second SIM slot on my phone and downgrade my main plan. Eating into sales for mobile phones.

Also I'm not going to pay $8/month per device in my home that WIFI can do for free. So I would only have the one connection but will be paying less money.

Okay, connections are free now but you pay per data block. Is it cheaper than the data on my phone? Again, second SIM slot, eating into sales.

I might then possibly consider having a 5G IoT device...if it leaves my house and needs a constant dedicated data connection (so I can't share my phone data). If it doesn't leave my house I'll just get the WiFi version, which is free.
    I thin the solution for this already exists but how long it will take to come to fruition I don't know.

Multi connection price plans and virtual simcards. Eg being able to pay a fixed fee like $300/month and then being able to connect 20 of my devices to the 5g network using virtual simcards attached to my account and those devices share the data on my account if there is a data limit.

6. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I thin the solution for this already exists but how long it will take to come to fruition I don't know.

Multi connection price plans and virtual simcards. Eg being able to pay a fixed fee like $300/month and then being able to connect 20 of my devices to the 5g network using virtual simcards attached to my account and those devices share the data on my account if there is a data limit.
    $300/month!

For 20 devices, that's $15 per device per month.

What IoT device or devices would you consider even remotely worth $300 a month where the role couldn't be filled by a wireless hotspot from your phone?

EG, my car doesn't need a data connection when I'm not in it. So if in the future it became an IoT car, then I can just hotspot from my phone when I hop in.

The only thing I could see is something like a vehicle fleet for a company for tracking, but I'm pretty sure that's already done perfectly fine by 4G. What benefits would 5G hold?

Even worse is tethering IoT devices to a mobile network at all, 99% of the time the device will have to connect to a third party server that will undoubtedly be shut down within a couple years when they release a new product.

The other 1% is the people who write their own software.

At least over WiFi it's more 50/50 as to whether your IoT device has to connect to a third party server to function.

5G is worthless for IoT. The use cases that will benefit from it over 4G is in the singular digits.

7. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    $300/month!

For 20 devices, that's $15 per device per month.

What IoT device or devices would you consider even remotely worth $300 a month where the role couldn't be filled by a wireless hotspot from your phone?

EG, my car doesn't need a data connection when I'm not in it. So if in the future it became an IoT car, then I can just hotspot from my phone when I hop in.

The only thing I could see is something like a vehicle fleet for a company for tracking, but I'm pretty sure that's already done perfectly fine by 4G. What benefits would 5G hold?

Even worse is tethering IoT devices to a mobile network at all, 99% of the time the device will have to connect to a third party server that will undoubtedly be shut down within a couple years when they release a new product.

The other 1% is the people who write their own software.

At least over WiFi it's more 50/50 as to whether your IoT device has to connect to a third party server to function.

5G is worthless for IoT. The use cases that will benefit from it over 4G is in the singular digits.
    not only will it brick within a year, it'll be full of ads and telemetry tracking everything you do to sell it for more money

8. Post
    I think 5G may be valuable for IoT, but not necessarily for consumers. Makes sense in plenty of other applications.

9. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Latency is the time that elapses since we give an order on our device until the action occurs. In 5G the latency will be ten times less than in 4G, being able to perform remote actions in real time.

The 5G also allows to implement virtual networks (network slicing), create subnets, in order to provide connectivity more adjusted to specific needs.
    That is some of the funniest shit I have seen for a while.

and who the f**k wrote this bit?

Speed in transmissions can approach 15 or 20 Gbps. By being able to enjoy a higher speed we can access files, programs and remote applications in a totally direct and without waiting. By intensifying the use of the cloud, all devices (mobile phones, computers, etc.) will depend less on the internal memory and on the accumulation of data and it won’t be necessary to install a large number of processors on some objects because computing can be done on the Cloud.
    Dafaq am I reading?

10. Post
    Hah I know, I was trying work out if it was machine translated or if English wasn't their first language.

11. Post
    My ODROID-GO Advance arrived this week, can highly recommend one if anyone is considering it.

12. Post
    I had a brief thought about getting a Kindle, but I thought I might as well get a device that I can do a bit more with. So I decided to get my 1st iPad as a consuming device (streams, reading, browsing, etc.) and I was able to get an iPad 7th-gen for next to nothing via my credit card rewards scheme. This way I can see if it is something I will really use, for hardly any outlay.

I can also add a cheap bluetooth keyboard and pencil, if I want to do more with it. However, what made me decide an iPad, is that if I wanted to do more I probably would have got a laptop, which would be a waste, because I do more stuff on my desktop currently.

It is quite funny, I did think I was a geek, but I waited until the 5th generation PC, to get my first --- a Pentium-75, I bought the 5th generation PDA - a Palm Tungsten T, and the 5th generation smartphone, an iPhone 5, and also quite funny I have the 5th generation BMW 3-series and now I have waited to well after the 5th generation, for an iPad.

I think when it comes to 'new technology' when I am spending my own money, I prefer to wait until the technology has matured enough as opposed to getting burnt on 'bleeding edge' technology.

Details here --- https://www.apple.com/nz/ipad-10.2/
    Last edited by KiwiTT; 19th February 2020 at 12:06 pm.

13. Post
    I personally love the Kindle as a dedicated single purpose device. As long as you are a reader and will use it the screen light, portability and ability to change font size are a big advantage over physical books. The battery life and ease on the eyes is a big advantage over tablets.

I'm disappointed there haven't been any real advances in the e-reader space for a while.

14. Post
    An iPad would be terrible for reading books for hours wouldn't it? Unless you dim the screen or something? Kindle is so popular because it's so much better for reading than typical tablets.

15. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    An iPad would be terrible for reading books for hours wouldn't it? Unless you dim the screen or something? Kindle is so popular because it's so much better for reading than typical tablets.
    The best thing to do is invert the screen and have off white text on a black background but yeah it isn't ideal. I started reading books that way but soon moved to a Kindle.

16. Post
    I only intend to read about 1/2 an hour or so, if that, as the rest will be listening, browsing and watching and possibly playing games (but not before I sleep)

17. Post
    I read an article on Apple IOS on closing apps and the advice was to keep the apps running in the background and not swipe close them to preserve battery life. I always thought you should clear your memory as much as possible to give it more 'room' for new apps and processes.

18. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I read an article on Apple IOS on closing apps and the advice was to keep the apps running in the background and not swipe close them to preserve battery life. I always thought you should clear your memory as much as possible to give it more 'room' for new apps and processes.
    You just need to give your phone a shake every now and again so all the unused programs fall to the bottom...

Terminating programs will save more battery than leaving them running. Not doing something uses less energy than doing something that is just common sense...

19. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    "It won't really affect battery life so let the metrics flow"

For the latter, nah, it won't really make a difference, the OS can free up memory if need be from them but apps don't actually use much in most cases. Only real big users are having millions of browser tabs (but this will mostly affect the browser itself when in use), and stuff like Facebook.

This is my current memory usage and I still have 2GB unused. But if need be it can automatically free that 1.2GB down the bottom.

Name:  Screenshot_20200226-162402_Device care.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  272.9 KB

Facebook alone has commandeered 700MB.

20. Post
    Finally we are going to get more ergonomic gaming chairs in the market.

Herman Miller has partnered with and will be building gaming chairs for Logitech.

These new chairs are hitting the market this Winter

https://venturebeat.com/2020/02/26/l...mer-furniture/

I do however have some potential concerns about the prices, Herman Miller makes extremely expensive premium chairs.

Take a look at the Aeron model, their most popular chair. Its $1700nzd

https://www.ergostyle.co.nz/product/...r-aeron-chair/
    Last edited by SirGrim; 27th February 2020 at 11:48 am.

21. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Finally we are going to get more ergonomic gaming chairs in the market.

Herman Miller has partnered with and will be building gaming chairs for Logitech.

These new chairs are hitting the market this Winter

https://venturebeat.com/2020/02/26/l...mer-furniture/

I do however have some potential concerns about the prices, Herman Miller makes extremely expensive premium chairs.

Take a look at the Aeron model, their most popular chair. Its $1700nzd

https://www.ergostyle.co.nz/product/...r-aeron-chair/
    I've got a Vertagear Trigger 350 with the headrest and I have to say its one of the best chairs both in gaming / work period. The amount of back and head support is amazing.

22. Post
    I need a good chair. My office has Sayl chairs, no arm rests though but never have any issues sitting for long periods . Need one with head support

23. Post
    I have a Noble Hero which has been great for my back as a big tall guy - have no problem recommending it to anyone else of a similar height and build that needs a stiff supportive chair.

24. Post
    This was my second home PC a ZX Spectrum+ and I created car racing game --- now re-released as the ZX Spectrum Next

My nostalgic instincts are ringing loud to get it.

25. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    I have a Noble Hero which has been great for my back as a big tall guy - have no problem recommending it to anyone else of a similar height and build that needs a stiff supportive chair.
    I have a Noble too, seemed hard at first but i have gotten used to it. Solid chair would reccommend.