General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)

1. Yelling
    Privoxy wrote:
    Facebook is for pictures of your dinner.

So true. When I joined facebook, I said to my friends, "What is it with all these food pictures?"

2. Post

3. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Love the new look of Google+ - What is this, the third complete overhaul since launch?
    Have you tried the new photo search function? It's insane, creepy and then awesome, all at once. I might go all in and start hosting my photos here now.

When searching my own photo collection on Google+....the photos are not tagged...
    If I search Motorcycle it shows me all my photos of my bike, Sky Tower shows my photos of the Sky Tower, searching Beach brings up all the photos that are at the beach. Obviously you can search for people if they're tagged and I've tried a few more things that work too:

November 2011
    Cars
    Jet Ski
    Sky
    Christchurch Cathedral
    Searching Penguin even resulted in a hit

It's seriously awesome and I would assume it'll only get better.

4. Post
    Was pretty disappointed when he said "we're targeting 30hz"

5. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    it'll get better over time.

6. Post
    Pandarion wrote:
    [youtube]
    Thanks for the 2 year old "news".

7. Post
    Yup its getting a bit creepy... I type in the missus name and it brings photos of her up...

The photos don't have any meta data, and are just random strings for names... No idea how Google knows who she is...

8. Post
    You would have tagged her in a couple and it's learnt from there.

9. Post
    Cpt.Crowbar wrote:
    You would have tagged her in a couple and it's learnt from there.
    Nope. I've never tagged anyone in anything - I hate tagging and normally have it disabled and blocked...

10. Post
    This is where you go "shit, that is really handy" and just ignore the mechanics :P

Which is fine, the idea is we should not have to 'tag' stuff or name files, it can be tough to work out exactly how it produces the results, obviously first it reads the obvious:

Album name
    File name
    Embedded jpeg tags

Then it gets all AI'ie.

11. Post
    Pretty much. I wonder if she has tagged herself on a public facebook profile and Googles crawled that and ran face recognition over it or something... Matched it with an image and context in one of my emails or gmail chats and drawn the conclusion based on words and subjects used

Creepy - but very cool

12. Post
    Larry Page is creepy.

13. Post
    Anyone who want's to find a place (with no regulations) to build things that don't yet exist is definitely at the high-end of creepy. But man to we need those people in the world. Elon Musk is another, I'm sure they'll both get to mine asteroids at some stage!

14. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Err... Hmm...
    Old news, it's been on sale for a while.

If your interested on what it's like to fire one: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...powered-rifle/

15. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    yeah because it literally doesn't have enough bandwidth for 60hz refresh @ that resolution/colour depth, people are waiting for something like the newer displayport/tbolt spec/controller and hdmi 1.4 to have 60hz @ 4k res/32bit color

was gonna pick up a 4k monitor for around 1.5k or so because 30hz still owns for photo/video processing (20+MP photos and 29.97/23.98fps raw videos) but realized that it's going to break windows UI so badly due dpi scaling across multiple display eg. doesn't seem like you can do one monitor with 100% scaling then another @ 200% scaling, it will have to be the same for all under windows

16. Post
    nz getting rid of patents? wow.. seems at odds with wanting to mandate back doors for vpn's etc.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/reuvenco...be-patentable/

17. Post
    gtx 780 is out, 65% the price of a titan but can overclocked to be faster than a titan
    http://hardocp.com/article/2013/05/2..._card_review/7

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/n...tx-780-review/

18. Post
    For CAD and rendering, should I go for a high end i5 (2500 or its new equivalent) or a low end i7 (2600 I think?)

19. Post
    mercutio wrote:
    nz getting rid of patents? wow.. seems at odds with wanting to mandate back doors for vpn's etc.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/reuvenco...be-patentable/
    I think you can still patent methods though (relating to programs).

20. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I think you can still patent methods though (relating to programs).
    I hope not, that's how this bullshit all started

Code:
    static int age() {
       if (age > 18) {
          denyAccess();
       else {
          redirect(lolno);
       }
    }
    Will sue anyone billions of dollars if you use this method.

21. Post
    Why would anyone want to bar over 18s?

22. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    For CAD and rendering, should I go for a high end i5 (2500 or its new equivalent) or a low end i7 (2600 I think?)
    get the 2500k

23. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    Why would anyone want to bar over 18s?
    to make a chat environment for children? i dunno, anyone can lie about their age in either direction.

24. Post
    DaNzA wrote:
    get the 2500k
    Do you mind explaining why?

25. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Do you mind explaining why?
    Because you wouldn't really notice to performance difference. Plus if you get the k version you can just OC it.
    I'm running a 3570k and use autoCAD almost everyday and it's fast as ****

Where as with the i7 you only really need that for video rendering that can utilise the hyper threading.