General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 5010

1. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Clear browser cache?
    Nah, tried my other browsers and it was the same, cleared itself up after ten minutes or so.

2. Post
    Anyone know of a way to mount monitors in a... reverse pyramid? Without wall mounting? Don't think landlord would appreciate a bunch of holes in the wall.

Current setup is this:

But i want to move the two outside monitors to be on top of the middle one.

The two outside monitors are U2717D's so 27" / 4.5kg~

3. Smile
    If you have Asus Fan xpert 2 running on your machine is it ok to remove it?

It wasn't in programs and features and there wasn't an uninstall file, So i disabled it in services and deleted the folder it was in and removed the registry entries with Ccleaner.

All good??

The fans still go and temps look ok, i just hope i didn't do anything wrong.

4. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    If you have Asus Fan xpert 2 running on your machine is it ok to remove it?

It wasn't in programs and features and there wasn't an uninstall file, So i disabled it in services and deleted the folder it was in and removed the registry entries with Ccleaner.

All good??

The fans still go and temps look ok, i just hope i didn't do anything wrong.
    Why would you bother to do that?

The software is used to control the fan speeds so you can set them to run slower at lower temperatures for better noise. Without the software the fans will just run according to the bios fan setting.

5. Smile
    brand wrote:
    Why would you bother to do that?
    I was getting messages in the action center saying it stopped working a few times a month,
    I never use the software anyway.

Can i go into my BIOS and crank the fan speeds up now?
    Might do that when summer comes round.

6. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Anyone know of a way to mount monitors in a... reverse pyramid? Without wall mounting? Don't think landlord would appreciate a bunch of holes in the wall.

Current setup is this:

But i want to move the two outside monitors to be on top of the middle one.

The two outside monitors are U2717D's so 27" / 4.5kg~
    Bratek to a post style multi monitor arm system that'll do what you want, it's design for 4 but is modular so you can change how many you want

7. Post
    So this HT vulnerability

Still trying to find out how my PC could get attacked? And would I get attacked doing my normal stuff on normal mainstream websites

8. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    I was getting messages in the action center saying it stopped working a few times a month,
    I never use the software anyway.

Can i go into my BIOS and crank the fan speeds up now?
    Might do that when summer comes round.
    Yeah remove it, no manufacturer software is necessary, windows run best without those kind of things added on.

9. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Still trying to find out how my PC could get attacked? And would I get attacked doing my normal stuff on normal mainstream websites
    I wouldn't be worried to be honest, would have to be suuuuuper unlucky to ever be affected by it.

I would say that though, with my AMD system

10. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I wouldn't be worried to be honest, would have to be suuuuuper unlucky to ever be affected by it.

I would say that though, with my AMD system
    agreed

the attack vector for a standard pc is tiny, it's basically the ability to read memory from other applications from a different application

so either
    - some malicious program gets installed on the pc then uses the cpu architecture vulns to read from other applications (if you can install software then why bother? just keylog instead)
    - some javascript browser attack using the cpu vulns (spectre/meltdown + the new HT stuff) - which browsers are mitigating, timing attacks

The main attack that this vulnerability is useful for is in the 'cloud' or other shared hosting environments aka reading information from applications/servers of other customers.

personally i wouldn't be too worried unless some viable remote proof of concept comes out