General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 4946

1. Post

2. Post
    Just limit the bandwidth to 56k, no one will bother asking.

3. Post
    if you don't set up a firewall rule on your router you deserve it tbh, wonder how many of those still run default creds

4. Post
    lol using zdnet as a source of information

nothing but clickbait

5. Post
    defiant wrote:

nothing but clickbait
    Never go full derp son, link in the zdnet article: https://blog.rapid7.com/2019/02/01/u...ice-exposures/

6. Post
    defiant wrote:

nothing but clickbait
    Vulcan wrote:
    Never go full derp son, link in the zdnet article: https://blog.rapid7.com/2019/02/01/u...ice-exposures/
    Well, this is awkwardly embarassing.

7. Post
    I open a note pad doc and don't save. I then shut down but then click cancel when it tells me there's an unsaved note pad doc.
    I don't proceed to shut down and as a result what I think are non-essential processes are terminated. Now my computer's performance seems to increase.

Is this good?

8. Smile
    Anroid wrote:
    I open a note pad doc and don't save. I then shut down but then click cancel when it tells me there's an unsaved note pad doc.
    I don't proceed to shut down and as a result what I think are non-essential processes are terminated. Now my computer's performance seems to increase.

Is this good?
    A proper restart would probably reset those processes,
    If you want to know what you can disable in windows you should tell us windows version etc and some of the techno's could give you a list.

Personally i shaved quite a bit off what win 10 was using.

9. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    A proper restart would probably reset those processes,
    If you want to know what you can disable in windows you should tell us windows version etc and some of the techno's could give you a list.

Personally i shaved quite a bit off what win 10 was using.
    Yes, a restart would reset those processes.
    Windows 10

I could try to find out what to disable, it's just that this method in the short term at least is faster lol.

10. Smile
    Anroid wrote:
    Yes, a restart would reset those processes.
    Windows 10

I could try to find out what to disable, it's just that this method in the short term at least is faster lol.
    I just wouldn't like some security parts of windows to be off and that's why i would personally like windows to run right.

One trick was to go into apps and features and disable a few things in there, But do your research first i don't want to cause any harm to your computer.

I go into it by right clicking the start button.

11. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Privoxy wrote:
    Well, this is awkwardly embarassing.
    Nope..

Feel free to quote the original source next time.

Also, from what I've read this was patched back in late 2016/early 2017, but information seems to be conflicting about that

So If you're 1) dumb enough to expose your AP's to the internet and 2) running old/outdated firmware then you're asking for bad things to happen.

12. Post
    So whats the deal with adding more RAM to my machine these days? Presuming there are available slots (there are), I know I need to get sticks with the same specs (DDR4 and 2666Mhz) but do they need to be the same size, brand, or even exact same item, to not cause any issues?

13. Post
    Nothing can be 100% guaranteed to be stable when mixing and matching. That's not to say it won't work perfectly fine, with other brands. Other sizes should be fine, just keep the same sizes across the channels. So 4+4 and 8+8 for example. Not 4+4 and 4+8. It can vary on platform too, Ryzen might be a bit more picky than Intel. You could price up selling what you have and buying a 2 dimm kit to suit the capacity you want.

14. Post
    Whats the difference between these two RAM sticks, other than the obvious brand:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MEM...1Rx8-DIMM-CL19
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MEM...4-21300-CL19-S

What is it about the second one that makes them sell it for $45 more? Is the first one a rusty piece of junk that will break the day after I buy it?

15. Post
    Both seem pretty shit, CL19 is probably as slow timing was as you can get. What are you trying to achieve, are you only buying one stick? Do you currently only have one stick installed? Intel / AMD platform?

16. Post
    AMD, have only one stick installed, want to get another.

17. Post
    The one you have now isn't available for purchase? Any stick should work. However, i'd aim to get one with similar specs to what you have now, if not the same if possible. Memory timing can affect performance, nothing amazing, but yeah. What stick do you have currently?

18. Post
    I have #2 currently, was more wondering why there was a $45 price gap for the exact same specs.

Either way, I picked up a #1 from pb Wellington a few mins ago. If I have any bsods I'll know what the issue is, and will probably just sell one of them and buy another.

19. Smile
    Just for your info and anyone else,

it's usually cheaper to buy the two sticks at once in a pack, Also having less sticks of ram in one machine is supposed to be better too. (like having 2 sticks instead of 4 in dual channel)
    Last edited by Magic Robertson; 20th February 2019 at 1:19 pm.

20. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Also having less sticks of ram in one machine is supposed to be better too. (like having 2 sticks instead of 4)
    There might be very slight additional overhead but it was mainly because some boards used to have issues if all the RAM slots were populated.

21. Post
    Oh I originally was going to buy a 2 pack, but after pricing up the MB+CPU+RAM I decided I'd just get the one stick and buy a second stick after my next pay. Now 6 or so months later I remembered about it and finally got around to buying that second stick. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if WoW wasn't getting stuttering issues in large raids.

22. Post
    Will be a good improvement, running single channel wouldn't have helped things either.

23. Post
    #comedy

24. Post
    Straya seems to be getting hacked all over at the moment (gubbermint, toyota, hospitals)

25. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Straya seems to be getting hacked all over at the moment (gubbermint, toyota, hospitals)
    must be all that huawei kit they run /s