General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,051 to 5,075 of 5126

1. Post
    defiant wrote:
    dunno, i just prefer it being clutter free

indeed, i'm just waiting for firefox to squash that battery draining bug on MacBook Pro's running the full scaled resolution.. then I'll probably switch back to firefox, especially with the way google are going with chrome - deprecating the API that adblockers currently use for one that's shit
    Last I heard they're giving adblockers access to the api still

2. Post
    My 1070 just died I think. Blue screen. Fan locked on full on the graphics card. Only one fan running though. Turned it off and on. Unplugged, replugged. Still nothing. 6 months old but second hand.

The model number claims it has a 3 yr warranty though...what do I do?

3. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Yep but that walled garden of iMessage, FaceTime, Airdrop and Airplay is hard to break out of.
    And that is what kept me there in the past, AppleWatch, iPad, etc. but I don't use the ipad much, not that is needs to be used with the iPhone, and the Apple watch would be almost up for replacement soon, and there are so many nice looking android watches about.

Yes facetime, messages and Airdrop will cause issues as my partner has an iPhone, but she also has a brand new Galaxy S10 sitting in her draw from work, so when we decide to change over we both will.

4. Post
    krashersmasher wrote:
    My 1070 just died I think. Blue screen. Fan locked on full on the graphics card. Only one fan running though. Turned it off and on. Unplugged, replugged. Still nothing. 6 months old but second hand.

The model number claims it has a 3 yr warranty though...what do I do?
    I'd contact manufacturer if you dont know where it was sold. They should sort you out.

5. Post
    ^ cheers...I'll do that - already talking with EVGA - just need another machine I can drop it in to see if it does the same thing. Hope they don't spit the dummy when I say I have no receipt.

6. Post
    nile wrote:
    Last I heard they're giving adblockers access to the api still
    It's not the API itself that's the issue, it's the blocking capability within it that's being crippled. See: https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlo...ment-496009417

The blocking ability of the webRequest API is still deprecated, and Google Chrome's limited matching algorithm will be the only one possible, and with limits dictated by Google employees.

It's annoying that they keep saying "the webRequest API is not deprecated" as if developers have been worried about this -- and as if they want to drown the real issue in a fabricated one nobody made.

until we can run performance tests

Web pages load slow because of bloat, not because of the blocking ability of the webRequest API -- at least for well crafted extensions. Furthermore, if performance concerns due to the blocking nature of the webRequest API was their real motive, they would just adopt Firefox's approach and give the ability to return a Promise on just the three methods which can be used in a blocking manner.

7. Smile
    Bit of a question for hybrid SSHD's..

I have one as a storage drive and i wonder if the hybrid part is helping with the games on it?
    I kind of feel the hybrid part is best used for booting a PC.

8. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Bit of a question for hybrid SSHD's..

I have one as a storage drive and i wonder if the hybrid part is helping with the games on it?
    I kind of feel the hybrid part is best used for booting a PC.
    It's a cache, so it's providing files that are most frequently accessed. So usually that would be boot and any applications you open most regularly (say you open a browser straight away if it were your boot drive).

So if you play the same game everyday, it will probably be speeding up start up, and possibly loading the world if you have the same load pattern every time (say loading the same maps in a multiplayer FPS over and over), but if you don't game every day, or keep changing games it won't help. Bearing in mind that a modern game could be 80GB and the flash on there is usually like 8GB max, so realistically it's probably doing absolutely nothing helpful. Maybe saving you singular seconds on a minute load when it does help.

If you play the same album from that storage drive everyday, then it will fire up a little faster.

9. Post

10. Post
    No because it's stupid.

11. Post
    Be very wary about ordering something from DickSmith, their customer service is ****ing terrible. I ordered a monitor, which was damaged in transit and DOA, it took them 3 weeks to respond to e-mails, they are hard to get on the phone, and over-all terrible. The monitor was shipped in only the retail packaging and was dropped on the corner. I would say a monitor this big would be risky to ship.

12. Post
    Buy this if you're seriously considering the DSE one:
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/5...-49-inch-144hz

It's literally the same display but cheaper, from a GPer and not branded DSE.

13. Post
    Whats the general feeling towards seagate hard drives these days are they still to be avoided? I need a new hard drive as mine is on the way out. They seem cheaper than other brands.

14. Post
    They're fine.

15. Post
    No dramas, they're also cheaper if you buy an external and shuck it.

Something like one of these dealios, but actually scan through Amazon and see if there's any on better promo.
    https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...gateway&sr=8-3

16. Post
    With the new Ryzen coming out, I'm just trying to hold out buying anything. I'm wanting to get my mobo/cpu/ram combo for around $500. So I guess I'll stick with gen 2, so I'm hoping the release of gen 3 knocks them down a bit. I might have to spend a tad more on better ram if I want to overclock though.

Suggestions welcomed, all I'm looking at now is the MSI B450 Tomahawk, maybe the 2600 and 3200mhz ram.

17. Post
    The MSI Mortar seems so have a good reputation. Who sells the Tomahawk?
    A solid combo you're looking at, such good value.

18. Post
    I'll probably get the Tomahawk from Amazon which I can get for under $150.00.

19. Post

General Tech Chit Chat

Well, made redundant again today. Sometimes I hate working in IT. <- tech chat

20. Post
    That sucks. What field of IT?

21. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Well, made redundant again today. Sometimes I hate working in IT. <- tech chat
    again? shit, never had it happen to me - but I know it's not fun. Chin up, you'll find something better soon
    Last edited by SirGrim; 22nd June 2019 at 8:55 am.

22. Post

General Tech Chit Chat

DW wrote:
    That sucks. What field of IT?
    Cloud Engineer/Automation etc.

Last 6 months Iíd been part of a team of 4 moving a $30mil usd per year oil company account from old on prem to AWS, and I had just stared doing similar for a large Australian payment firm. I kind of fall under Devops but my background is more towards the Ops part of that.

23. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    again? shit, never had it happen to me - but I know it's not fun. Chin up, you'll find something better soon
    Yeah been in IT for nearly 20 years and been made redundant 4 times, all by outsourcing.

And to make matters worse I put my house on the market the day before lol

24. Post
    dam that sucks..

in a few years they will be migrating back to on prem any way so might need you again..

25. Post
    Abo wrote:
    dam that sucks..

in a few years they will be migrating back to on prem any way so might need you again..
    Thatís happened twice to me already actually, the usual it outsource cycle. This time they are closing the office to cut costs.....chance I can work remote full time which would be good but Iím going to look at the market anyway.