General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 5263

1. Post
    I'm in Ireland at the moment and the locals are pretty positive they've got NZ beat.

2. Post
    None of their pundits and ex-players on their daily rugby show are - they all think we will win.

3. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I'm in Ireland at the moment and the locals are pretty positive they've got NZ beat.
    enjoy mate, the irish drink nearly as much when they lose .. hahaha

4. Post
    Whats the go on laptops? Looking to upgrade my xps 15 (2017 - i7 7700 version) before I head to europe for the year. The NZ laptop market seems to be a generation behind and silly pricing :\

5. Post
    Is there any need to upgrade it? that is still a good laptop.

6. Post
    Only like $500 left on the depreciation schedule, might as well get rid of it / give to gf to use while over in europe and then get myself something new before mid jan when we leave. Might as well take advantage of the GST claim etc.

7. Post
    I find Dells are heaps cheaper in Aussie if you're ever over there.

8. Post
    I got my Dell last year for about 60% off or something crazy. It was the latest model too...Just wait for a special.

9. Post
    Do the 2019 models still have big throttling issues? Mine throttles REALLY hard when rendering videos particularly or something that uses cpu+gpu. Even after repasting cpu and adding more thermal pads to vrm etc

10. Post
    Yeah. Not impressed with that. I also have a 'quiet' profile that I run for when at work presenting that locks the cpu at 99% which turns off turbo which in turn means the fan doesn't run....noisily...

I'd be tempted to try HP next time. Although...it's tiny, it was cheap, screen is great, and it's still pretty fast - it's an i7-8 series crammed into a 13" body. Mine's one under the xps range though..so not apples for apples.

11. Post
    Hmmm I'm considering the blade 15 tbh, seems like a good middle ground of slim/light but still has gpu/cpu power when i need to do more heavy tasks like rendering. But hollllllllllly shit the prices in NZ are completely stupid

12. Post
    Hmmm, yeah..they are still really expensive aye. I paid about $1800 for the 13" FHD, 512ssd, 16gb ram, i7-8*** model at Christmas last year. Down from about $3k. $1800 seemed okay...$3k - not so much!

13. Post
    You probably want to align with business/government EOFY. That's when the good shit will be on special.

14. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Hmmm I'm considering the blade 15 tbh, seems like a good middle ground of slim/light but still has gpu/cpu power when i need to do more heavy tasks like rendering. But hollllllllllly shit the prices in NZ are completely stupid
    Cheaper to purchase from oz. I saved about 1500 including the tourist refund purchasing the 15 inch razer blade in Melbourne this year.

NZ prices are a rip.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    You probably want to align with business/government EOFY. That's when the good shit will be on special.
    Unfortunately I leave the country in jan for probably the year

Kidona wrote:
    Cheaper to purchase from oz. I saved about 1500 including the tourist refund purchasing the 15 inch razer blade in Melbourne this year.

NZ prices are a rip.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Hmm I'll check out pricing options in aus, could easily pop over if its worth the savings once you account for claiming gst back vs flights etc

16. Post
    https://www.aftershockpc.com.au/welc...5-2019-edition

Aftershock Apex 15 is good value (2200AUD), considering you can get the tax back with TRS when you pass through aus. Got the Vapor15, undervolted and overclocked. GPU is sitting on 69/70 degrees so no thermal throttling after about 4 hours of gaming CODMW.

17. Post
    explain to me that tax back

18. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    explain to me that tax back
    https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-...for-travellers

Essentially goods over $300 that you can take in carry on to prove you have it, you can get the tax back. TRS is found after passing customs.

19. Post
    Im in melbourne atm. Wondering if I should shnag something. Do you know of a good pc shop here?

20. Post
    Sent you a PM about a 2080ti build for $2200 from techfast, unsure if they are based in Melbourne or not.
    https://www.aftershockpc.com.au/ and https://www.pccasegear.com/ are in melbourne

21. Post
    Thanks for the link. Really good deals over here

22. Post
    Pretty much all Ryzen Gen 2 chips are on sale at Amazon.

Stuff like $170USD for the 2700, $190USD to the 2700X and $120USD for the 2600

23. Post
    Have been looking at laptops for months so I don't have to be tethered to my home office (designer who works from home).

Looking at this - https://www.dell.com/en-nz/shop/lapt...4-ca73dc7087e8

I've never owned a Dell laptop. I do own a Dell ultrasharp. Can anyone give me a yay or nay in regards to the above considering it's price? Looking at the hardware it should be pretty adequate for design work given the 16GB RAM, discrete GPU and i7 CPU. I just don't know much about Dell laptops as a whole.

Design work = print, digital design. Looking into UI/UX and will be doing a little bit of video.

24. Post
    From my experience (up to 2017)
    - Dell business laptops are a wondrous feat of engineering, if you gave it a sideways glance all the screws would pop out and it would run down to the shop, buy better hardware at its own cost and give itself a good upgrade.
    - Dell consumer laptops suck arse and are designed intentionally to make you hate yourself if you ever think you want to upgrade it or clean the fan out.

Inspirons are consumer laptops.
    Business = Latitude and Precision.

Price seems alright, though. Might want to look into how the MX230 compares to the integrated graphics, last time I saw an MX series it was no better than the IGP but caused it to use more power.

Battery on it is very small.

25. Post
    Haha. Thanks heaps.

According to this, the MX230 out performs in the Intel 620 on pretty much everything.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/UHD-Gr....247598.0.html