General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 5185

1. Post
    Changed the settings on my 2600x last night, I set an undervoltage of -0.1v and enables XFR now sitting on 4.1 - 4.2 pretty constantly and seems to be boosting to 4.7 at times, not sure what I have done but under stress test seems stable, temps maxing out at 65c and voltage max of ~1.4v

Anyone else see levels this high in the single core boost? everywhere I read says to expect 4.4 - 4.5

2. Post

3. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    He mentioned burn-in very, very briefly but he didn't really go over what, if any, counter-measures there are to prevent burn-in on things like the task-bar. Even if the task bar itself is dark, shortcuts like the Firefox logo aren't and would be quite noticeable on a 15" display. He also says that the dark taskbar was to show off the contrast rather than to hide the burn-in, which sounds like utter bs.

It's the single biggest problem with the laptop and he just goes 'oh yeah, that's a thing' and then moves on? Seriously?
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 28th July 2019 at 1:31 pm.

4. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    He mentioned burn-in very, very briefly but he didn't really go over what, if any, counter-measures there are to prevent burn-in on things like the task-bar. Even if the task bar itself is dark, shortcuts like the Firefox logo aren't and would be quite noticeable on a 15" display. He also says that the dark taskbar was to show off the contrast rather than to hide the burn-in, which sounds like utter bs.

It's the single biggest problem with the laptop and he just goes 'oh yeah, that's a thing' and then moves on? Seriously?
    It's an unknown quantity unless he's going to do a real burn in test and he did mention that $3000 was a lot to gamble on a screen.

I do know that as far as 2019 TV OLED panels go, they are pretty good now with most static content at reasonable periods of time. But if you're planning to display your homepage for 8 hours at a time, that could be an issue on TVs. As to what this OLED panel does to combat that? Who knows. Maybe the warranty covers burn in, there are some electronic stores in the U.S that now provide burn in warranty for their panels (e.g. Best Buy).

Then again, this OLED on this laptop is made by Samsung, not LG and Samsung AMOLED phones are definitely susceptible to burn in
    Last edited by SirGrim; 28th July 2019 at 2:19 pm.

5. Post
    It's an unknown quantity unless he's going to do a real burn in test and he did mention that $3000 was a lot to gamble on a screen.
    It's not really an unknown quality due to the extensive data we have on TV panels and to be fair, he did point out the burn-in testing that went on.
    It just seemed kinda bizarre that, given that, he glossed over the issue so quickly when, unless there's some black magic in there that differentiates it from the TV panels, it's likely going to be the biggest failing point for the vast majority of people unless they're super careful about how they use taskbar shortcuts and how long they keep the GUI of certain programs on the display.

In order to minimise burn-in damage, you'd have to dark mode all the things (which is why dark mode was enabled on their laptop, again nothing to do with 'showing off the display's contrast' as alluded to in the video), get rid of any taskbar shortcuts, have your desktop background as dark as possible etc etc.

6. Post
    RNZ had a bit on 5G this morning and were going on about how gamers will love it lol.

7. Post
    I cant wait to play Clash of clans on 5G!

8. Post
    I really don't get the media hype on 5G.

Huawei is the main competitor, which we're not supposed to support (according to allies allegations of espionage).
    Everyone else is behind on the tech.
    Current 5G phones are fat/ugly/super expensive.
    Providers will charge you out the arse for 5G data.

What's so great about it? That it's faster? Cool.

9. Post
    bzE wrote:
    I really don't get the media hype on 5G.

Huawei is the main competitor, which we're not supposed to support (according to allies allegations of espionage).
    Everyone else is behind on the tech.
    Current 5G phones are fat/ugly/super expensive.
    Providers will charge you out the arse for 5G data.

What's so great about it? That it's faster? Cool.
    No one cares about it but Huawei is spending the big bucks putting it in the public eye because they're being vilified but also they probably genuinely do have the best implementation (I assume this because only a market leader would want to push it so hard so that they can get in before everyone else catches up, everyone else would want are a slower, more considered approach so they can get their tech up to snuff).

They want to generate hype so that consumers are just like, "We don't care about any of the espionage stuff, we just want it." except it's not really happening, people are just let, eh, data on my devices isn't limited by throughput.

10. Post
    I've used Huawei and they're still selling well.
    The whole blacklist thing was bad imo.. being targeted just like that.

11. Post
    5g is pure hype

12. Post
    mmario wrote:
    5g is pure hype
    Currently it is, but have you tried to use Facebook on 2G? At some point it will become standard and 3G and 4G become inadequate.

13. Post
    But have you tried Facebook on 4G? Do you have the need for 5G then.

4G is adequate enough, especially since we're still screwed by data caps

14. Post
    The Note 10 is trash, basically a nerfed S10.

15. Post
    5G still leverages 4G. If you think 4G will disappear with the arrival of 5G then you are in for a surprise.

iirc someone was trying to demo games/vr over 5G at E3 this year - apparently it sucked and had terrible lag.

16. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    5G still leverages 4G. If you think 4G will disappear with the arrival of 5G then you are in for a surprise.

iirc someone was trying to demo games/vr over 5G at E3 this year - apparently it sucked and had terrible lag.
    But Vulcan, didn't you see how much faster 5G is in the US?

17. Post
    Hey what - "let's be honest, no-one's interested in Android tablets anymore."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/1...-galaxy-note10

Never bought into the Tablet market. Just could not see the use, with a large phone and decent home computer.

18. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:

Never bought into the Tablet market. Just could not see the use, with a large phone and decent home computer.
    Tablets absolutely have their place, particularly for kids.

19. Post
    Yeah ... but really not for us. Weirdly though my parents are loving theirs. They can stay connected in front of the TV.

20. Post
    Yeah they certainly have their place. Large phone doesn't compare to a tablet if you're lying on the couch browsing. Then again, some people find watching tv shows on their phones acceptable, so different strokes for different folks.

21. Post
    Good for presentations as you can have your talking points on a stand.

22. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:

Said no-one who has ever owned an ipad!

I admit I don't use my iPad often, but before having a 6 inch+ phone I would use it all the time. As for use for kids, that is a debate for another thread.

23. Post
    The tablet market grew up, I suspect most of the business moved into the Windows convertibles like the Surface Pro (damn things are everywhere like roached). When you can have a 14" touchscreen convertable @ 1.1kg, with an i7, 16Gb, and 1Tb of ssd storage and proper usb/usb-c/thunderbolt/hdmi ports who'd want a panty-pad.

24. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    The tablet market grew up, I suspect most of the business moved into the Windows convertibles like the Surface Pro (damn things are everywhere like roached). When you can have a 14" touchscreen convertable @ 1.1kg, with an i7, 16Gb, and 1Tb of ssd storage and proper usb/usb-c/thunderbolt/hdmi ports who'd want a panty-pad.
    People who only want to pay a few hundred dollars for a browsing/email/streaming device.

25. Post
    They're great for a futuristic phone for old people. Install Skype, tell it to start with Windows at full screen and pull volume on full. They can just leave it around the house like a phone except it's a big video phone.

If they want to call someone they just mash their face.