General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 5267

1. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Haha. Thanks heaps.

According to this, the MX230 out performs in the Intel 620 on pretty much everything.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/UHD-Gr....247598.0.html
    The one attached to your processor is the Iris Plus G7. The 620 is old.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-90-ghz.html

And they look to be pretty much identical:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForc....247598.0.html

Iris wins, MX wins, Iris wins, MX wins averaging out to be the same.

Pretty much means the GPU is just an unnecessary cost and power drain.

2. Post
    Thanks heaps for the advice. Have decided to up budget to around $2k.

3. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    From my experience (up to 2017)
    - Dell business laptops are a wondrous feat of engineering, if you gave it a sideways glance all the screws would pop out and it would run down to the shop, buy better hardware at its own cost and give itself a good upgrade.
    - Dell consumer laptops suck arse and are designed intentionally to make you hate yourself if you ever think you want to upgrade it or clean the fan out.

Inspirons are consumer laptops.
    Business = Latitude and Precision.
    +1 on this. Also love the Dell docks, none of that USB-C shit, proper docks. All my kids run Dells (as well as me). The proper docks extend the lifetime as the power and USB connectors don't get raped.

4. Post
    Google backup and sync in the Mac is junk recently. Been using it for google photos sync for Years as a backup and itís been fine but slow, but updated to Catalina yesterday and itís doing a full photo library sync again. It did this a couple of months back on random.
    Donít know why itís suddenly doing it, but when google say they donít upload duplicates, is bull. My google photos now has 6 of every photo and looks like itís going for the 7th with this latest sync. Wish there was an easy way to clean that up.

5. Post
    Didn't want to make a new thread but was looking for some help/ advice:

I have currently have 3 operational sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2400MHz 2x4GB (CMK8GX4M2A2400C14) and my question is, would I see any benefit of using 2 in dual channel and the other by itself (if that is even possible) compared to just the 2 sticks im currently using in dual channel

Previously had 4x4gb but one stick died so went to 2x4gb.

I do want more RAM in my system and was considering getting 2x8gb sticks this black friday (or whenever a good deal pops up) but if i can get away with using my current sticks then thats fine as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

edit: mobo is asus z170-ar and i7 6700k

6. Post
    I know on newer stuff, dual channel is quite a bit better than single. I'd probably stick with 2x4GB until you can upgrade it (if you need to that is). On the plus side you can at least keep the new memory kit if you upgrade.

Could depend on the game, but YouTube shows good results for dual over single. Even very recent videos show 2x4 beating 1x8. So I don't think the extra 4GB stick is worth running. Of course if your video card is bottlenecking performance the gains may be reduced.
    2c

7. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    +1 on this. Also love the Dell docks, none of that USB-C shit, proper docks. All my kids run Dells (as well as me). The proper docks extend the lifetime as the power and USB connectors don't get raped.
    We use Elitebooks with the option of old styled docks or USB-C docks. I prefer the older style because I can have 3 monitors out. Anyone know if there anyway of getting more monitor outputs via USB-C? I assume theres a hard limit of 3 from the GPU itself.

8. Post
    Hi, could I get some advice for this issue?

I have recently bought a new PSU (Cooler Master MWE Gold 750) for my new setup:

Case: Phanteks Enthroo PRO
    Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XI Gene
    CPU: i7-9700k
    GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX2070
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z. RGB
    CPU fan: H7 Cryorig
    SS M.2 NvMe + Sata
    HD Some 1TB junk...

So the story is that my new PSU isn't working with my new setup. The LEDs light on the mobo but it won't boot. The PSU(?) makes a click for half a second and the fan moves but then it stops.

I've checked this with an older PSU (Micronics classic 2 500W) and it boots fine. What's weird is that I've checked this PSU with an older mobo (GA H97 Gaming 3 with i5) and it boots fine.

I've tried:
    Unplugging everything and just testing the mobo + cpu.
    Tried different pins for cpu fan (since the phanteks case has this weird adapter thing)
    Testing with just 1 RAM
    All results the same.
    I'm not entirely sure if what I've tried even helps in any way...
    I'm planning to test the pins of the PSU with a multimeter tomorrow but I'm not sure if that would even be an issue considering how it works with another mobo...
    I don't think there's a compatibility issue going on here.
    Would there be any way for me to fix this issue?

9. Post

General Tech Chit Chat

If you've been as meticulous as you've said, you can fix it by returning it under warranty as faulty - sounds like it can't handle the load of the beefier rig.

You said mobo so presumably you're doing this all in the same case? If different cases make sure the new one doesn't have grounding issues.

10. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    If you've been as meticulous as you've said, you can fix it by returning it under warranty as faulty - sounds like it can't handle the load of the beefier rig.

You said mobo so presumably you're doing this all in the same case? If different cases make sure the new one doesn't have grounding issues.
    I've got a replacement one (same model) as you said and it works!

Yes I was using the same case so I made sure the grounding was the same.

11. Post
    Dunno about the name... especially with an aussie accent: https://cybercx.com.au/

12. Post
    OK. So my nephew is considering a Gaming Desktop and I looked at the GP suggested builds and feel the one with the 1660Ti would be good for him initially. It performs on par almost with my old 1070Ti. So I have smaller Dell 1080p I can give him as a screen, which means I need to get a another screen.

I currently play on a 26" 1920x1200 screen and would like to find another similar 16:10 screen, but in either 1440p or 4K and around 30" size. I think I'd be pushing my 1070Ti too hard for 4K and also the resolution may be too small for text, so 1440p is probably will be. I get over 100+ fps usually playing on my 60hz and feel 144hz would be the way to go.

So that brings me to requirements: 1440p 144hz 16:10 screen @ 30+" --- and probably IPS as well.

13. Post
    I got this https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/sho...gaming-monitor when it was $100 off a few weeks back.

I went from 19x12 - 24" and I'm using a 2060.

It's HDR, IPS, 1440p, 144hz. I'm really happy with it. I play in native resolution at med - ultra settings and get 60-140fps on games like pubg, farcry 5, bf5.

Feels buttery smooth. Colours pop, and it's a good size for the texts.

14. Post
    I already have 26" so 27" is not that much of an improvement, so would prefer 30+" and use the 26" as my secondary monitor

15. Post
    Fair enough. Are you sure it's 26"....I thought most 19x12's were 24's

16. Post
    ooooh would you look at that.

17. Post
    Not sure you'll find a screen that is 16:10 and has everything on your list. If 16:10 even exists now? ~$600 and upwards nets you a 30"+ high refresh monitor. Just check the usual shops to see what flavours are on offer.

18. Post
    You know how the internet makes its money when 60% of your incoming traffic is being blocked..

19. Post
    just thought id post a bit of a heads up, just after new years looking to sell off most of my electronics before we head to europe for the year.

2700x ryzen build (32gb ddr4 @ 3200mhz, 1080ti, 500gb evo 960 nvme, a 500gb evo 850(maybe 860?), etc etc).
    2x Dell U2717D IPS 27" (no stands - but have single arms for each)
    1x Asus PG348Q 34" UWQHD (have stand but never used it, put it on an arm straight out of the box)
    Sony 55X900F

Most stuff is 1 - 1.5 years old and bought locally - except the 2x dell monitors - will find receipts soon

probably some other misc tech stuff as well. I'll post proper threads later - Will be looking to get rid of them quickly so willing to let them go for a really nice price. Just wanted to give people a heads up when looking for those new years deals etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention - im in wellington cbd
    Last edited by LiQuid.Ace; 27th November 2019 at 12:54 pm.

20. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    You know how the internet makes its money when 60% of your incoming traffic is being blocked..

Not really. You're counting DNS event misdirects, which is not actual traffic blocks. Plus you don't know how many of those DNS hits are repeated DNS queries.

21. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    just thought id post a bit of a heads up, just after new years looking to sell off most of my electronics before we head to europe for the year.

2700x ryzen build (32gb ddr4 @ 3200mhz, 1080ti, 500gb evo 960 nvme, a 500gb evo 850(maybe 860?), etc etc).
    2x Dell U2717D IPS 27" (no stands - but have single arms for each)
    1x Asus PG348Q 34" UWQHD (have stand but never used it, put it on an arm straight out of the box)
    Sony 55X900F

Most stuff is 1 - 1.5 years old and bought locally - except the 2x dell monitors - will find receipts soon

probably some other misc tech stuff as well. I'll post proper threads later - Will be looking to get rid of them quickly so willing to let them go for a really nice price. Just wanted to give people a heads up when looking for those new years deals etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention - im in wellington cbd
    I'm in Auckland but might be willing to buy all your PC stuff depending on price and whether the timing suits both of us.

22. Post
    havent looked much into pricing but we fly out 14th jan so need it gone probably during the first week

23. Post
    Pihole is awesome though, notice it missing straight away when on data.

24. Post
    I've seen someone selling a iPhone 11 Pro Max on Facebook marketplace for $1200, claims to have a MTK6580 CPU, 1GB ram and ROM, Chinese counterfeit?