General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 5366

1. Post
    Between D-sub and DVI I would use the DVI hands down. Analog will perform worse than Digital signals 100% of the time.

Cable quality is important for d-sub VGA but less so for DVI (digital). A bad VGA cable will give blurring and ****ed up colours while a bad DVI cable may still run just fine, at worse a few bad pixels or straight up not work. The tolerances for digital signals are much better.

2. Smile
    bzE wrote:
    Between D-sub and DVI I would use the DVI hands down. Analog will perform worse than Digital signals 100% of the time.

Cable quality is important for d-sub VGA but less so for DVI (digital). A bad VGA cable will give blurring and ****ed up colours while a bad DVI cable may still run just fine, at worse a few bad pixels or straight up not work. The tolerances for digital signals are much better.
    I was curious because a lot of KVM's only run D-sub, I saw one on trade me that uses DVI.

I have the problem of old games that i play which windows 7 is good for, But new games and the faster computers are for windows 10.

I just don't have space for 3 computers and a KVM isn't really useful after researching because I'd need something "perfect". (like usb connectors for mice and keyboards, lan connectors ,DVI , audio etc).

i think i have to stick with my current setup and forget new games and having a faster computer until this one dies.
    (my specs are in modding o/c forum specs thread)

I would love to make company of heroes 2 load matches faster.

3. Post
    KVM's are hideous shit for mouse accuracy too.. PEW PEW.

4. Post
    Stuff goes full retard: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...rotect-privacy

Yeah trust the guys on the dark net more than your ISP. Really..

5. Post
    did you even read the article? it specifically says not to blindly trust VPNs/dark net guys.

6. Smile
    Unsettled wrote:
    KVM's are hideous shit for mouse accuracy too.. PEW PEW.
    Would that mean even more with my mouse?
    Currently using..

This mouse.

7. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    did you even read the article? it specifically says not to blindly trust VPNs/dark net guys.
    Yeah but it's very weighted against ISPs. And makes the VPNs/ToR sound only mildly dangerous. Which is incredibly stupid.

8. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Would that mean even more with my mouse?
    Currently using..

This mouse.
    I guess results may vary.

9. Post
    Considering getting a printer again after coping for about 5 years without one. Have currently being getting printing done at Warehouse Stationery with about 20-30 pages a year, and the occasional 100 page document. Scanning and copying at paper plus for about 20-30 pages a year.

However, with a potential part-time business opportunity in the works, my printing volume may increase to 200-300 pages a year. For this reason I am considering a Laser Printer, as I think inkjets are more costly to operate.

Now a scanner/printer can be had for significantly more than a straight laser printer.

My choices
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PTR...intCopyScanFax
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PTR...ser-MFP-100-Ca

Without scanning
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PTR...ireless-150-sh

Brother seems to offer the best warranty (4 years)

10. Post
    if your looking at 1000 pages in 5 years just buy a second hand one.

11. Post
    lol, was finished with using Google Maps today and gf asked if she could get rid of the phone (take it off the dash). Phone suddenly asked "im sorry, I didn't catch that".

Wasn't able to replicate it

Toshiba stuff is horrid, to be fair anything not HP/Dell is pretty bad.

12. Post
    Anyone recommend a laptop for under 500 bucks? Purely for school study. Not sure what a good deal is with laptops. I see most shops having a big sale (smith city etc...).

13. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    Portages were pretty sweet laptop wise. They got burned in NZ pretty hard the first time they used lead free solder.. What was it, the S1 or S2? Failure rates on those were pretty crazy. Tosh also changed docks every 3 years or so, pain in the ass as not only did you need to order a fleet of new docks, they never had enough stock available.

14. Post
    PleX wrote:
    Anyone recommend a laptop for under 500 bucks?

15. Post
    Just installed Ubuntu 17.04 Gnome on my desktop, first time using Gnome in god knows how many years. Wow it's come real long way. Is actually a pleasant experience using it for day to day tasks as well as #devlyfe.

16. Post
    ^I did this last week but in a VM #devlyfe

Looking for fun tasks or things to setup..

17. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    we don't all buy garbage in harvey norman.

18. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    ^I did this last week but in a VM #devlyfe

Looking for fun tasks or things to setup..
    Dockerize everything. I mean EVERYTHING.

19. Post
    tempted to replace the factory ssd in my zenbook, the 512gb sandisk m2 ssd is noisy af

20. Post
    Stasis wrote:
    the 512gb sandisk m2 ssd is noisy af
    Umm. What?

There is literally zero moving parts in an SSD to create noise...

21. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Umm. What?

There is literally zero moving parts in an SSD to create noise...
    Hah see now you'd think that would mean it is silent, however this is not the case at all. It has a whine that is similar to coil whine, very high pitched. Have isolated it to be the SSD. Probably components on the SSD itself. A shame to get a similar size m2 SSD will cost my an arm and a leg (512gb)

22. Post
    Sure its not coil whine from having the power pack plugged in? Something that is a bit more common than SSD's making any noise.