General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 4,876 to 4,897 of 4897

1. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I'm actually a technology consultant these days
    Consultant? Another overpaid waste of air!

2. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Consultant? Another overpaid waste of air!
    That's mean.

3. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    ^
    Lethargic wrote:
    ****ing newbs
    Guys want to explain what I'm missing here? I installed the app, it created a VPN between my phone and somewhere it didn't block a single ad on stuff.co.nz, when I checked my VPN data throughput I could watch it steadily going up.

What have I missed which explains that this isn't just something wrapped over some VPN service doing something to my traffic as it comes in and out?

4. Post
    it creates a VPN between your phone and your phone and transfers all the data through that, yes.

that's how it can catch ads on all apps without needing to mess with each app (or run as root).

5. Post
    yep it just uses the vpn api to achieve blocking. Much like a firewall or pihole. There is literally no other way to achieve this on modern Android without rooting

dns can't decrypt your https/tls traffic so yeah, youre just fear mongering.

re: showing ads on a particular website, either the ads are embedded into the domain which is whitelisted or chrome is allowing them through blankly much like how yt or twitch does it now. Either way you didn't post a screenshot and said you used it for 5 seconds

6. Post
    Interesting way to do it.

7. Post
    Been running netguard for a few years now, it uses the VPN method as well for non root phones. Allows individual blocking of data and/or WiFi for apps. Must be installed from APK.

Id like to proxy the data to my home connection once it's been through the netguard VPN to get around the content blocker at work (can't establish a VPN), haven't figured that one out though.

8. Post
    I'll just stick to running pihole at home and not caring when on the road

9. Post
    Topic switch. I placed a order for a fully kitted out MacBook Pro this morning, got a text just now saying it will be delivered tomorrow. I'm impressed.

10. Post
    Sorta like this?

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 9.22.56 PM.png
Views: 225
Size:  416.8 KB

11. Post
    Don't those i9s throttle like crazy though?

12. Post
    Nah they fixed it with a firmware update. Sometimes the CPU temp does spike up to 80+ but that's usually because a process is either hung or an application is using the CPU intensely.

13. Post
    I have access to an Intel I7 4970 (non-K) that I could swap my i5 4670K clocked at 4.3Ghz for.

Would it be worth losing some clock speed for added hyper-threading?

14. Post
    Best free program for custom/free select cut and paste with transparent background?
    Last edited by Anroid; 22nd March 2019 at 4:02 pm.

15. Post
    watchthisspace wrote:
    I have access to an Intel I7 4970 (non-K) that I could swap my i5 4670K clocked at 4.3Ghz for.

Would it be worth losing some clock speed for added hyper-threading?
    Depends what you are doing.
    Gaming?
    Video editing?

16. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    Depends what you are doing.
    Gaming?
    Video editing?
    99% gaming

17. Post
    watchthisspace wrote:
    99% gaming
    Then I'd be checking benchmarks for games that you play.
    Some like Battlefield really benefit from extra cores.
    My situation was similar to yours (4690K @ 4.6GHz --> 4790K @ 4.5GHz) and really noticed the frames being much more consistent.

18. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    My situation was similar to yours (4690K @ 4.6GHz --> 4790K @ 4.5GHz) and really noticed the frames being much more consistent.
    Cheers - I mainly play Apex and was going to get the Division 2. I was thinking with games taking more advantage of more cores/threads, this free upgrade would be worth my time until Ryzen 3000 series comes out

19. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    +1

Much more consistent, exactly what I did, Ghost Recon Wild lands was a stuttery mess with the i5, i7 not so much.
    Division 2s core balancing is excellent, I currently have a 2700x and load is very consistent across all cores.

20. Post
    ThomasChp wrote:
    +1

Much more consistent, exactly what I did, Ghost Recon Wild lands was a stuttery mess with the i5, i7 not so much.
    Division 2s core balancing is excellent, I currently have a 2700x and load is very consistent across all cores.
    Can also confirm - going 6600K to 7700K was a noticeable improvement across the board for me.

Even running the i7 @ stock is way smoother than the i5 OC'd.

I'd get stutters generally whenever the i5 was close to or on 100 percent load on all 3 or 4 threads - with the i7 7 of 8 threads dropped back to 75-50 percent load max and the stutters disappeared. 4 cores/threads was definitely a bottleneck in my system - I noticed the improvements in ghost recon wildlands as well, was one of the titles I knew wasnt running as well as my GPU should have been capable of.

21. Post
    Ordered a Raspberry Pi Zero W the other week. Showed up last night along with a 1080p IR camera module. Have had such a blast setting it up and playing with it I ordered a 3b+ model with 4" LCD touch screen and a whole lot of other accessories for it.

22. Post
    I have 2 pi 3b+. Was using them for home assistant server and a Plex client, bit since transferred Plex to a nuc and home assistant into docker on a file server/media server.

I have a lot of esp8266 around the house doing various things but haven't decided on what to do with the two pi3b+.

How much does the pi3b+ cost?