General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 5126

1. Post
    Plenty of demand out there for AWS skills. Lots of people are looking to move away from local DCs to proper cloud.

2. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Plenty of demand out there for AWS skills. Lots of people are looking to move away from local DCs to proper cloud.
    Yeah agreed. Had a look today and seems quite a lot, some really low balling salaries though which is odd.

Time to finish off my pro certs as well.

3. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    AWS is expensive though

4. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    AWS is expensive though
    Depends, if you use it as a colo in the cloud, youíre going to have a bad day.

All the accounts Iíve worked on in the last 18 months have had significant costs savings moving all to AWS.

5. Post
    One example I saw was about $1000/hr for cpu time - no idea what they were testing though and needed that much cpu power for

6. Post

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    One example I saw was about $1000/hr for cpu time - no idea what they were testing though and needed that much cpu power for
    If you wanted that type of power in-house, you'd be spending a hell of a lot more than $1000 an hour for it.

8. Post
    I moved to Firefox a few months ago after they announced automatically stopping autoplay videos on their new version.

I haven't noticed any difference between using the two except I haven't seen an autoplay video since.

So no ragrats I guess.

9. Post
    This news is almost as old as you dude. Everyone knows this, and everyone should be fully aware you're being tracked all over the place when using any large company product.

There are plenty of alternative choices if you don't like that, Firefox is just one. The thing is though while Google is snooping all around, they're making their services better and more tailored to you at the same time. A price most people are willing to pay.

10. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    AWS is expensive though
    Depends what you are doing. But when comparing for local DC services not really. A lot of local providers overcharge and underperform. And in my neck of the woods (security) what they provide can be very 'shallow' (you end up spending a lot of time telling them what they should be doing).

11. Post
    How good are smart tv's for streaming netflix over wi fi ? router at other end of house

12. Post
    Very good - never had any issues streaming 4K HDR Netflix, tested on 4 different tvs over the years using a router located on the other side and on a different level in a multi story house

13. Post
    awesome

14. Post
    What kind of router, what wireless band, how many solid walls in the way, how big is the house, how many other routers operating on the same channel nearby etc etc. Too many variables to say without just guessing...

One way to find out.

15. Post
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ras...e-now-from-35/

Neat, could be a good time to replace my pi2

16. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Very good - never had any issues streaming 4K HDR Netflix, tested on 4 different tvs over the years using a router located on the other side and on a different level in a multi story house
    Netflix only needs 25mbps for 4K, which should be achievable on most VDSL/ Fibre connections.

17. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Netflix only needs 25mbps for 4K, which should be achievable on most VDSL/ Fibre connections.
    Average internet connection speed for New Zealand is nearly 80Mbps

NZ Fibre is pretty good - last night I found a test video on youtube - it was 8k, 60fps, HDR10 and 12 bit colour encoded and even this played with no delay at all on fibre

18. Post
    try Brave , been using it and it is ok. Gave up on firefox after whole add on failover.

19. Post
    Stasis wrote:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ras...e-now-from-35/

Neat, could be a good time to replace my pi2
    2 is still low power usage

20. Post
    Get some add-ons

21. Post
    Kog wrote:
    2 is still low power usage
    Won't make much difference to me tbh.

I'm thinking about getting one and making a small NAS, 3D printing a case for the drives etc.

22. Post
    Ugh, avoid MSI laptops, and if you have one, be wary about updating the BIOS.

I have a GS40 plugged into a pair of 4K displays. The laptop actually advertises its ability to drive two 4K displays and the spec sheet lists 4K over HDMI.

I'm getting a flicker over DisplayPort, which is apparently a shit Intel thing when running multiple displays, have now ordered an active DP to HDMI adapter and TB to HDMI to see if I can resolve it either of those ways.

Anyway thought I'd update the BIOS to see if that could resolve it. No change but learned that they disabled HDMI's ability to run 4K, a bit of Googling turned up something about recurrent licensing fees for HDMI. Also apparently the HDMI connection is hardwired to the IGP, so you can't disable it and force it to run over the discrete GPU.

So now stuck at 1080p on one display, and a display flicker on the other at 4K. MSI's website doesn't have release notes, and doesn't let you download older BIOS versions. I sent them a message asking for how to fix or supply of an older BIOS version and almost lost it because it's mandatory to attach a file on submit and apparently they haven't discovered printing post data or sessions. Was luckily still there when I pressed back so they at least haven't replaced form post with Javascript.

Luckily for me, further Googling turned up some random forum discussing a boot loop and that included links to olders versions of the BIOS, so now I know it changed on version 110 (113 is the latest, went back to 110, still had the problem, then 109 and it could drive 4K again).

The laptop itself is fine. Lots of power for its size, but the moment something went wrong it was absolute pants trying to fix something which looks like they've intentionally broken (110 was released 2016, 113 201.

So their break is fixed now, but only because some random person posted the BIOS to fix something else. Initial issue still persists (flickering over DP) and hours wasted. I'm curious as to what they'll reply with. Whether they'll have a fix, respond with a canned answer, and what they'll say about supplying older BIOS versions.

23. Post
    If it doesn't work as advertised I'd probably return it tbh

24. Post
    Does anyone own the AOC CQ32G1 Monitor and run Gsync with a 20 series nVidia card? Seriously considering getting it as it unofficially supports GSync if "all criteria is met". Having a hard time figuring out what this criteria is. I have a 2060 and obviously wanting GSync to work.

25. Post
    Personally never ever been impressed with AOC monitors.