General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,276 to 5,297 of 5297

  1. Post
    It's hit and miss no matter the wiring IMO. I've never had much luck and have tried it in a few houses of varying build age.

  2. Post
    Pretty much.

    Let's not forget people often confuse their measurements units, mixing megabites with megabytes.

  3. Post
    CoolShady wrote:
    An old house can have new wiring?
    Been 20 years in it and haven't changed any wiring....

    I mean, it doesn't work for everyone but when it does, its pretty dam decent.

    P/S: Anyone using Yale smart locks?

  4. Post
    yuRiko wrote:
    P/S: Anyone using Yale smart locks?
    Yeah I've set a few up, whadda ya wanna know?

  5. Post
    Its not exactly a big deal to try it out first before diving into running ethernet cabling, which can be a reasonable amount of work depending on the house. Been running it a couple of years or so now I think, no issues and handles everything I've thrown at it without issue (gaming, Plex server mostly).

  6. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    Yeah I've set a few up, whadda ya wanna know?
    The Yale Assure SL without the IM1 can do Google Home as well or do I need the IM1 module? Its like 100+ extra...

    Also is the Nest x Yale version better? As its only sold on Amazon and not sure if it works here? I don't run Nest but just future proofing.

    If it works with Google Home, will I need to IFTT for when I get home that it auto unlocks?

  7. Post
    yuRiko wrote:
    The Yale Assure SL without the IM1 can do Google Home as well or do I need the IM1 module? Its like 100+ extra...

    Also is the Nest x Yale version better? As its only sold on Amazon and not sure if it works here? I don't run Nest but just future proofing.
    Pretty sure you need the module.
    Can't talk to your network without it.

    Not familiar with the Nest as it's not sold here.

  8. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    Pretty sure you need the module.
    Can't talk to your network without it.

    Not familiar with the Nest as it's not sold here.
    This would really suck that its not built in. I would have thought it would just be an extra for Apple users (since they be rollin' in dat cash)

    Which Yale model would you recommend?

  9. Post
    yuRiko wrote:
    Which Yale model would you recommend?
    Depends what exactly you want to be able to do with it.

  10. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    Depends what exactly you want to be able to do with it.
    TBH, pretty much keypad lock, share pin codes to fam, my door just has a deadlock on it

  11. Post
    You kids and your toys, get a mans door, get a dierre.

    https://www.dierre.com/en/dierre

    Got them in my place and they're absolutely amazing. Have a tiny chip in my wallet which opens the door for me when I get within meters of it.

  12. Post
    @privoxy What is the pricing on the Dierre that you got? i am thinking of changing all the doors ( 2-3 exterior, maybe 1-3 interior for security ) , patio doors , garage, basement etc to 1 system

  13. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    You kids and your toys, get a mans door, get a dierre.

    https://www.dierre.com/en/dierre

    Got them in my place and they're absolutely amazing. Have a tiny chip in my wallet which opens the door for me when I get within meters of it.
    How many arms and legs should I prepare myself for

  14. Post
    yuRiko wrote:
    How many arms and legs should I prepare myself for
    Italian doors with Italian car prices?

    http://agvcerrajeros.com/product/pue...-sentry-doble/

    seems really secure from a brute force perspective though, look at all those cylinders


  15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Italian doors with Italian car prices?

    http://agvcerrajeros.com/product/pue...-sentry-doble/

    seems really secure from a brute force perspective though, look at all those cylinders

    [Breaks window]

  16. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    [Breaks window]
    They have a solution for that too :P


  17. Post
    That's a door, not a window FYI.

    Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

  18. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    That's a door, not a window FYI.

    Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk
    They do windows as well with the same security grills, or at least that's what the website says that privoxy linked says.

  19. Post
    yuRiko wrote:
    TBH, pretty much keypad lock, share pin codes to fam, my door just has a deadlock on it
    Looks like the Assure SL fits the bill.

    Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

  20. Post
    I actually have metal shutters that go down over my windows... Only problem is if there is an internal fire, I'm ****ed.

  21. Post
    It is one thing I'm not keen on adding to the many smart devices in my house, the idea of having a cloud connected smart lock seems like an unnecessary security risk.

    I have been using battery powered backlit keypad electronic deadbolts on mine for the last decade. Have a little IR remote for the front door on my key chain, which is handy when carrying groceries etc.

  22. Post
    I have been told smart AI toothbrushes are a scam and to avoid