General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Page 1 of 187 12341151101 ... Last

1. Post

General Tech Chit Chat

It has come to my attention that we don't have a thread here for general information that is not really worthy of its own thread, but could be interesting to people. So here is that thread.

Google have just announced they are going to be merging all your storage space into one single 15GB chunk.

Google just announced that it's combining your Gmail, Google Drive, and Google+ Photos storage into one big 15GB lump. The Google Drive storage page will also be updated to show you how you're using your space.
    Source

Is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on if we had unlimited photo uploads with google+ prior to this?

2. Post
    An interesting article I was reading yesterday regarding the CPU to 1/2/3/4 GPU performance. Not hugely surprising but good information for the masses.

Basically the more graphics power you have, the better off you are with an Intel CPU.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6934/c...tigpu-at-1440p

3. Post
    Privoxy wrote:

Google have just announced they are going to be merging all your storage space into one single 15GB chunk.

Source

Is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on if we had unlimited photo uploads with google+ prior to this?
    This is good, makes more sense spreading your allowance across all products. I have the 100gb pack and a 25gb allowance in gmail, I wonder if I'll end up with 125 total. Although I think gmail should still get a small slice that is separate, so newbs don't ruin their email by dropping massive files into their Google Drive.

Like before, certain items won't count towards your limit, for example regular instant upload will still be free as will any photos uploaded to Google+ by default. However if you select the full-size photo option for manual uploads and instant uploads those photos will then count towards your allowance.

4. Post
    This is a worthy thread, saves having multiple threads.

In other news US government is the biggest buyer of zero days.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/10/43...-officials-say
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9490EL20130510

And malware continues to bypass and own useless security software like malwarebytes and MSE. latest example this thread http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/468358/?s=

5. Post
    Err... Hmm...

the TrackingPoint rifle went on sale today, and can enable a 'novice' to hit a target 500 yards away on the first try. The rifle's scope features a sophisticated color graphics display (video). The shooter locks a laser on the target by pushing a small button by the trigger... But here's where it's different: You pull the trigger but the gun decides when to shoot. It fires only when the weapon has been pointed in exactly the right place, taking into account dozens of variables, including wind, shake and distance to the target. The rifle has a built-in laser range finder, a ballistics computer and a Wi-Fi transmitter to stream live video and audio to a nearby iPad. Every shot is recorded so it can be replayed, or posted to YouTube or Facebook."

6. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Err... Hmm...
    Whoa... the beginnings of Skynet.

source?

7. Post
    this is going to make it so much easier for those 4chan school shooters to get credit for their kills

8. Post
    I read the news about the consolidation of storage space of Google apps earlier this week. I for one like it.

I only have a couple hundred MB's of email in Gmail, but am fast approaching the free 5GB limit for Drive.

And, while I'm here...Snapchat, what a waste of time. Friend sends a photo, I click on notification to open photo, photo is in landscape, I rotate my phone, photo has text on it, start to read messa...oh, the photo has insta-deleted. Then I'm left with an audit trail of sent/received notifications that I can't do anything further with. Then I text my friend and say "what did your snapchat photo say????" Then my friend texts back their reply. Waste of time...sticking to Voxer for quick sending of photos over wifi.

9. Post
    irl killcam.

What I actually wanted to post was that I found out you can open Steam in big picture mode by holding the "home" button on an XBOX controller.

10. Post
    What's the best easiest to use lightweight software to video record your desktop? Ive never done it before.

11. Post
    Upcoming Google Maps update

12. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    What's the best easiest to use lightweight software to video record your desktop? Ive never done it before.
    FRAPS would probably be your best bet, plus there is an option to 'Monitor Desktop' which I haven't tried, but I'm sure it would let you record your desktop.

13. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    FRAPS is probably best thing especially for full screen stuff but uses a ton of space.

CamStudio is free and can record just a particular window/area. I'm having issues with recording sound from speakers with it though :mad:

14. Post
    Google let us all know that it would strip out unneeded WebKit code to make its Blink web engine scream, but it never said exactly what kind of pace we could expect. The answer, it turns out, is "breakneck." The company's Alex Komoroske told Google I/O attendees that the Open Web Platform team has already yanked 8.8 million lines of programming from Blink in about a month
    Wow that is just insane. Makes you wonder just how much bloat there must be in webkit.

15. Post
    Necriss wrote:
    Upcoming Google Maps update
    Wonder how long before we see Live Street View?

16. Post
    http://prng.net/blink-faq.html

oh, hmm, that's written by a nz'er.

17. Post
    I see nothing wrong with what is written here. Infact I support it

18. Post
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/..._Tegra_4i.html

Nvidia Tegra 4i features four new high-performance ARM Cortex-A9/r4 cores running at 2.30GHz as well as one low-power ARM Cortex-A9 core that operates when performance is not required. The processor also integrates custom ultra low-power GeForce core with 60 stream processors, LPDDR3 memory controller, software Icera i500 LTE baseband modem (GSM, HSPA+, TD-HSPA, 4G/LTE), advanced image processor as well as Chimera HDR photography processor, which is expected to become one of the main selling-points for Tegra 4i-based handsets. The SoC is aimed at mainstream smartphones.

more about the 4i, basically a powerful soc with all the baseband there is since it's a software based modem

Tegra 4i also includes the Icera i500 baseband IP block on-die, hence i for Icera. NVIDIA has disclosed some additional detail about i500 along the lines of what we’ve already written about. There’s full support for Category 3 (100 Mbps) LTE at launch, with a later upgrade to Category 4, along with support for 10 MHz + 10 MHz LTE carrier aggregation. In addition there’s support for the rest of the 3GPP suite of air interfaces, including WCDMA / HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (Category 24), TD-SCDMA, and GSM/EDGE. i500 is also voice enabled with VoLTE support and CS-FB voice modes. NVIDIA claims that the i500 package is 7x7mm with a 6.5x6.5mm transceiver, and there are a total of 8 primary Rx ports (bands). NVIDIA also claims support for both 2x2 MIMO and 4x4 MIMO transmission modes on LTE.

and most interestingly there's an upcoming reference design by nvidia

The other big announcement is a reference design built around Tegra 4i called Phoenix. It's a smartphone with Tegra 4i inside, 5-inch 1080p display, LTE, and just 8 mm of thickness. What's more impressive is that NVIDIA claims the reference design can be picked up by an OEM and ship with an unsubsidized price tag of between $100-$300 USD. With Phoenix NVIDIA now joins the likes of Qualcomm and Intel, both of whom already have active smartphone reference design programs.

19. Post

20. Post
    DaNzA wrote:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/..._Tegra_4i.html

Nvidia Tegra 4i features four new high-performance ARM Cortex-A9/r4 cores running at 2.30GHz as well as one low-power ARM Cortex-A9 core that operates when performance is not required. The processor also integrates custom ultra low-power GeForce core with 60 stream processors, LPDDR3 memory controller, software Icera i500 LTE baseband modem (GSM, HSPA+, TD-HSPA, 4G/LTE), advanced image processor as well as Chimera HDR photography processor, which is expected to become one of the main selling-points for Tegra 4i-based handsets. The SoC is aimed at mainstream smartphones.

more about the 4i, basically a powerful soc with all the baseband there is since it's a software based modem

Tegra 4i also includes the Icera i500 baseband IP block on-die, hence i for Icera. NVIDIA has disclosed some additional detail about i500 along the lines of what we’ve already written about. There’s full support for Category 3 (100 Mbps) LTE at launch, with a later upgrade to Category 4, along with support for 10 MHz + 10 MHz LTE carrier aggregation. In addition there’s support for the rest of the 3GPP suite of air interfaces, including WCDMA / HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (Category 24), TD-SCDMA, and GSM/EDGE. i500 is also voice enabled with VoLTE support and CS-FB voice modes. NVIDIA claims that the i500 package is 7x7mm with a 6.5x6.5mm transceiver, and there are a total of 8 primary Rx ports (bands). NVIDIA also claims support for both 2x2 MIMO and 4x4 MIMO transmission modes on LTE.

and most interestingly there's an upcoming reference design by nvidia

The other big announcement is a reference design built around Tegra 4i called Phoenix. It's a smartphone with Tegra 4i inside, 5-inch 1080p display, LTE, and just 8 mm of thickness. What's more impressive is that NVIDIA claims the reference design can be picked up by an OEM and ship with an unsubsidized price tag of between $100-$300 USD. With Phoenix NVIDIA now joins the likes of Qualcomm and Intel, both of whom already have active smartphone reference design programs.
    Daaamn, getting real interesting in the mobile market with these high specced headsets dropping everywhere.

21. Post

22. Post

23. Post
    Love the new look of Google+ - What is this, the third complete overhaul since launch?

24. Post
    I heard on the radio today that Google+ is the new "Cool", and Facebook is out.

25. Post
    Google+ is for thoughtful intelligent discussions with other like minded people.

Facebook is for pictures of your dinner.