1. Post

Anyone into diving?

Any GP divers out there?

Recently got my open water cert and looking for some local (Auckland) dive buddies/ideas on places for a nosey just to get wet and familiarise my skills...hit me up at any time if you're keen

2. Post
    don't drink and dive my neighbor was killed doing so

3. Post
    Use to dive alot when i was younger, sisters dad was a dive master.

An awesome spot to go a few hours out of auckland is the aldermans near slipper island

4. Post
    Nah. Sharks.

5. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Nah. Sharks.
    Actually were the reason I wanted to start diving...

6. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Use to dive alot when i was younger, sisters dad was a dive master.

An awesome spot to go a few hours out of auckland is the aldermans near slipper island
    Thanks for that mate, will check it out at some point.

7. Post
    xxjaredxx wrote:
    Thanks for that mate, will check it out at some point.
    Tis an amazing spot, often see schools of manta rays. Lot's and lots of decent sized sharks. Plenty of dolphins about as well

8. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Tis an amazing spot, often see schools of manta rays. Lot's and lots of decent sized sharks. Plenty of dolphins about as well
    ^^^ Mantas! Any particular time of year??

9. Post
    Grew up diving and fishing the coromandel area so know a few really nice spots.

Usually late summer is when we did the most diving. Is great in mid summer too, was just a preference for us. Saw acouple of orcas off the boat out there too. Another amazing spot is boat harbour which is past sailors grave. Accesible by boat and has some seriosuly cool life around it, including menacing blue sharks that tried to bit my mates foot he was dangling in the water like a spastic, thought it was a kingfish coming up lucky he decided to pull his foot up haha. They are harmless in the water and keep their distance.

10. Post
    xxjaredxx wrote:
    Actually were the reason I wanted to start diving...
    they were the reason i go cage diving, bucket of blood a must.

11. Post
    xxjaredxx wrote:
    ^^^ Mantas! Any particular time of year??
    Manta rays are pretty rare in NZ.

Eagle rays on the other hand are common, I saw 200+ in a small area of the Okura estuary 2 weeks ago.

They're much smaller than the mantas I've seen at Ningaloo and other areas of Australia.

12. Post
    It seems like a really expensive sport to get into.

13. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    It seems like a really expensive sport to get into.
    Hmm sport? I'd call it more of an activity

14. Post
    Well we are in the sport section, so yeah... but it is really an activity, still seems really expensive to get beyond free diving and to where you really want to go. Its something I've always been interested in, I just can't work out how to make it happen without a whole lot of money. Just like getting a plane license really.

15. Post
    I guess its all relative, i bought my gear from trademe for under a grand all up, and had it fully serviced by my local shop (checked the seals on the reg/BCD etc), if you've got your own gear then plenty of shops do bare dive trips which are expensive but not too bad.

As for getting trained, seen plenty of shops advertising PADI Open Water for $500 or less.

Diving to me is a bit of a chore as I have a boat, and tend to be the designated diver for scallops/crays