Results 26 to 50 of 427

  1. Post
    #26
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    So what? Did you calibrate them to the exact same spec and see if they still look different? Did it ever occur to you that WH is deliberately making the Veons look shit and the Samsungs look better (by changing the settings) to get you to buy the more expensive product?
    Nonsense comment. You can calibrate it all you want, you aren't going to close the gap.

  2. Post
    #27
    You missed my point, which was that shops use all kinds of shabby tricks to sell expensive TVs including but not limited to putting two TVs next to each other and configuring brightness properly on one and lower on the other.

  3. Post
    #28
    ChineseKiwi wrote:
    but like audio really, nah, not really scientifically if you look into it.
    Audio is absolutely subjective, otherwise the Vinyl vs. Digital debate would have died years ago. Vinyl is objectively worse, and yet there are no shortage of people who will scream bloody murder at you for saying so.

    I bought a Veon in Dec 2013 asa spare TV for downstairs, gotta say it's surprisingly great for the cost.

    L@mer|2 wrote:
    I'd advise against buying a shit tier brand like Veon. I don't care that they "use the same panels" as the manufacturers. The devil, as always, will be in the details. Details like the build quality of the TV/remote, the quality of the UI (i.e. how laggy is the UI? How are the apps etc?). I mean shit you only buy a TV once every 3+ years, pay extra and get the good one.
    Seriously? People actually care about the UI and/or apps? I don't actually know anyone who still uses factory remotes, everyone I know moved on to various universal solutions years ago. The build quality is fine, and the picture quality is no worse than the Sony Bravia I run in my room which cost 3-4x more.

    Viilai wrote:
    Nonsense comment. You can calibrate it all you want, you aren't going to close the gap.
    It's really not though. That is what electronic retails do to shift more expensive units, they up the brightness and calibrate those displays to look great and intentionally degrade the picture quality on the cheaper units to create the illusion of a substantial quality difference.

  4. Post
    #29
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    You missed my point, which was that shops use all kinds of shabby tricks to sell expensive TVs including but not limited to putting two TVs next to each other and configuring brightness properly on one and lower on the other.
    I'm an electronics sales person for a successful company (you figure it out) and we don't touch our TVs. They get plugged in and put on vivid or dynamic. That's it. It's dishonest to do anything else

  5. Post
    #30
    SoAndSo wrote:
    I'm an electronics sales person for a successful company (you figure it out)
    Is it Veon?

  6. Post
    #31
    KevinL wrote:
    Is it Veon?
    Nein

  7. Post
    #32
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    Well sure, if you are just looking for a display ONLY then go for it.

    If you want proper standards compliant HDMI ARC/CEC support, quality apps (or at least apps that don't suck donkey dong), a good DLNA player etc then it may not be the wisest choice.
    Dam it now i need to re think buying a veon again i dont care about apps etc but is compiant Hdmi Arc/cec really that big a deal?

  8. Post
    #33
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    You missed my point, which was that shops use all kinds of shabby tricks to sell expensive TVs including but not limited to putting two TVs next to each other and configuring brightness properly on one and lower on the other.
    I didn't miss your point. Picture quality, not brightness.

  9. Post
    #34
    SoAndSo wrote:
    The samsungs will be so much brighter than anything else in the shop. Brighter doesn't mean better.
    I wouldn't buy a veon however. Panasonic have the most natural colours out of the manufacturers (well apart from the lg oled) but picture is subjective, what I like you might hate
    I Pity you viilai.... People like you doesn't know what is calibration and just rate things as you see in showrooms where usually the expensive sets are optimized. Anyone with brain understands and compares picture quality of the tvs you are comparing only after optimizing both.... You are but too immature to discuss anything......

  10. Post
    #35
    albertkply wrote:
    I Pity you viilai.... People like you doesn't know what is calibration and just rate things as you see in showrooms where usually the expensive sets are optimized. Anyone with brain understands and compares picture quality of the tvs you are comparing only after optimizing both.... You are but too immature to discuss anything......
    You pity me, a 3D artist who has NO CHOICE but to know what calibration is?

    I know full well what it is, and I took that into consideration when rating them.

    But keep kidding yourself.

  11. Post
    #36
    I don't think doing 3D art makes you qualified in TV calibration, to the point you can see a Veon TV next to a Samsung and judge their picture quality without calibrating them. You're an artist not a magician.

  12. Post
    #37
    SoAndSo wrote:
    I'm an electronics sales person for a successful company (you figure it out) and we don't touch our TVs. They get plugged in and put on vivid or dynamic. That's it. It's dishonest to do anything else
    With my experience at Dickies, they just got put up with the default settings (usually dynamic).
    With cheap TVs, the menus are just beyond horrible.

  13. Post
    #38
    Though to be fair any software / menu system etc made by Samsung will, in all likelihood, also be horrible.

  14. Post
    #39
    Viilai wrote:
    You pity me, a 3D artist who has NO CHOICE but to know what calibration is?

    I know full well what it is, and I took that into consideration when rating them.

    But keep kidding yourself.
    Lmao, your job means absolutely nothing in this discussion. I have a few friends who are animators and artists for Weta, and they would be the first to admit it contributes absolutely nothing towards their ability to tell the difference between non-calibrated TV sets. What a stupid post.

  15. Post
    #40
    Celticknife wrote:
    Lmao, your job means absolutely nothing in this discussion. I have a few friends who are animators and artists for Weta, and they would be the first to admit it contributes absolutely nothing towards their ability to tell the difference between non-calibrated TV sets. What a stupid post.
    It's like saying "I push trollies, therefore I am an aeronautical engineer"

  16. Post
    #41
    He said I didn't know what calibration is. My point is that I do, not that I'm a "magician" when it comes to calibration.

    There is a huge difference in quality that isn't going to be overcome by calibrating it, that's all I said.

  17. Post
    #42
    Why not secondhand?

    Picked up an immaculate KDL55HX750 for $700 on Trademe.

  18. Post
    #43
    jonodman wrote:
    Dam it now i need to re think buying a veon again i dont care about apps etc but is compiant Hdmi Arc/cec really that big a deal?
    Absolutely. Otherwise you'll be forced to implement shithouse third party solutions and spend hundreds on the "Harmony Remote" and add unnecessary complication to your setup.

  19. Post
    #44
    I find the factory remote perfectly fine. I turn on tv, possibly change it to AV3, then use my pc from there

  20. Post
    #45
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    Absolutely. Otherwise you'll be forced to implement shithouse third party solutions and spend hundreds on the "Harmony Remote" and add unnecessary complication to your setup.
    A harmony remote removes complication if you know what you're doing and have several devices you want to control.

  21. Post
    #46
    Celticknife wrote:
    Audio is absolutely subjective, otherwise the Vinyl vs. Digital debate would have died years ago. Vinyl is objectively worse, and yet there are no shortage of people who will scream bloody murder at you for saying so.

    I bought a Veon in Dec 2013 asa spare TV for downstairs, gotta say it's surprisingly great for the cost.
    The reason why some people say vinyl is "better" is
    1. Subjective: nostalgia
    2. Objective: more dynamic range on some recordings. This is because cd mastering often has more dynamic range compression to achieve a higher "loudness" you can't physically do this with vinyl or you lose to much fidelity.

    In reality it's not better.

    Anyways the point of my post is veons are shit tvs.

  22. Post
    #47
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    The reason why some people say vinyl is "better" is
    1. Subjective: nostalgia
    2. Objective: more dynamic range on some recordings. This is because cd mastering often has more dynamic range compression to achieve a higher "loudness" you can't physically do this with vinyl or you lose to much fidelity.

    In reality it's not better.

    Anyways the point of my post is veons are shit tvs.
    Your second point is not quite true. If you import the waveforms from a Vinyl and a CD of the same base recording, it will 'appear' that the Vinyl copy has more dynamic range however in reality the masters used on most recordings for both the LP and CD copies have been identical in almost every case for decades now.

    http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...mastered_to_CD

    From my experience, the real reason people think Vinyl sounds better is the distortion introduced during the analogue encoding process. This is, objectively, unintended noise which degrades the signal quality of the actual recording however this often leads to a 'warmer' or 'less sharp' tone, which many people find preferable for some styles of music. Something like an Electric Wizard album probably does sound better on Vinyl specifically because the Analogue distortion actually compliments the messy and raw production values.

  23. Post
    #48
    Yes i agree with that. I don't think it "appears" to have note dynamic range either it has more dynamic range because of different mastering or it is the same.

    Nice wiki
    Last edited by kiwijunglist; 17th January 2015 at 12:32 pm.

  24. Post
    #49
    In most cases it actually is just appearances due to a number of different factors. The masters generally are exactly the same, and your mastering levels are what determine your dynamic ranges. In general, the Vinyl copy of a given recording will simply be quieter on the whole. In some cases, engineers will master seperately for vinyl but that is very rare.

    Source: studied audio engineering, and have been recording/mixing/mastering music for fun for years

    It's a bit off topic though really since we were talking about TVs

  25. Post
    #50
    ^ and the vinyl vs. digital debate is settled. As stated, the masters have always been the same but it's the mastering levels that are different. Dumb people attribute it to the medium as opposed to the track.