1. Post
    DW wrote:
    A harmony remote removes complication if you know what you're doing and have several devices you want to control.
    You wouldn't need a harmony remote if you planned your setup properly from the get go is the point I'm trying to make.

2. Post
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    You wouldn't need a harmony remote if you planned your setup properly from the get go is the point I'm trying to make.
    You can get everything working OK without one, but a Harmony offers you greater flexibility with both the devices you choose and what you do with them. So you can pay hundreds extra for device compatibility, or spend an extra couple of hundred on a remote which does everything you could do with the more expensive devices, and then some. Personally my Harmony remote is probably my favorite gadget in the house.

3. Post
    DW wrote:
    You can get everything working OK without one, but a Harmony offers you greater flexibility with both the devices you choose and what you do with them. So you can pay hundreds extra for device compatibility, or spend an extra couple of hundred on a remote which does everything you could do with the more expensive devices, and then some. Personally my Harmony remote is probably my favorite gadget in the house.
    Yup, exactly this. Also gives you the flexibility to upgrade and/or swap out devices at a whim. I own a couple of Harmony remotes, and they are fantastic pieces of tech that were well worth the money.

4. Post
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    Um, what?

How can you avoid multiple remotes in this situation:
    TV
    Receiver
    Sky decoder
    HTPC running Kodi/XBMC/Plex or whatever other olution

5. Post
    All the things you've mentioned there support HDMI-CEC. If your TV has proper ARC support it can capture the audio from those devices then ship it back down the ARC channel to your reciever. When you start watching TV (or more accurately switch to the corresponding input), it automatically turns on the receiver. Once you hit the power button on your TV remote, your TV (using CEC) puts the devices back into standby)

6. Post
    Veon's are a Frankenstein monster of creation. They're made up of components that you'll find in LG, Samsung, among others... almost as if the TV's are made of factory seconds or cannibalized working parts from those brands. Given this... sometimes I'd be surprised to see any consistency between two Veon models let alone a Veon and other brands.

7. Post
    I love how someone can necro a thread and the argument resumes from years ago. It's been going for like 2 pages now.

Anyway, on the note of Veons, my mother has one. It's not terrible, it's lasting okay and does the job for what she wants it to do. It's hardly a high end TV, but if all you want to do is watch TV on it, it's bang for your buck.

8. Post
    I bought a 42" from the warehouse 2 years ago, has no brand lol.

Works fine for ps4/raspbmc.

9. Post
    Never, ever buy a Veon TV.

The buyer up in Auckland that looks after TV's is a moron - late last year he managed to send thousands of 39.5" TV's with built-in DVD players to stores that wouldn't use the speakers when using the built-in Freeview. Turns out they never bothered to test a single one before sending them out. They were all sent back, opened and fixed, then sent back to stores to sell. They didn't bother to test them again and one's that they ****ed up ended up on the floor for people to buy.

Veon products have internal recalls all the time and the public is never made aware of them, even though they have defective goods in their home. ie the Veon 58" TV from late 2013 - that had cheap parts and was guaranteed to fail at some stage and have vertical lines across the entire screen. They'll only publicly recall them if there is a safety issue - like the Veon TV in early 2013 that was literally assembled with masking tape and screens were falling out. Otherwise they'll happily screw people over and not bother to do anything until they come back to the store with the broken product - and even then they'll be forced into getting it repaired unless they create a huge fuss (in which case they will get a refund just to get them to go away).

PS: I work at The Warehouse so I know this.
    Last edited by ShartedZN; 24th January 2015 at 2:48 pm.

10. Post
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    All the things you've mentioned there support HDMI-CEC. If your TV has proper ARC support it can capture the audio from those devices then ship it back down the ARC channel to your reciever. When you start watching TV (or more accurately switch to the corresponding input), it automatically turns on the receiver. Once you hit the power button on your TV remote, your TV (using CEC) puts the devices back into standby)
    I'll stick with my harmony remote, ta

11. Post
    Ya I got a Veon TV and got the horiztional lines only a few months in. They've now given me the 39.5" in built DVD model. Am waiting for that to shit itself too lol.

But it does its job as a cheap room TV

12. Post
    Dre wrote:
    Ya I got a Veon TV and got the horiztional lines only a few months in. They've now given me the 39.5" in built DVD model. Am waiting for that to shit itself too lol.

But it does its job as a cheap room TV
    Return that piece of shit bro. You'll get the lines again, or the mainboard will completely kill itself. The failure rate on the 39.5" is hilarious - it's much higher than the Veon brand in general (which is already ridiculous).

13. Post
    ShartedZN wrote:
    Return that piece of shit bro. You'll get the lines again, or the mainboard will completely kill itself. The failure rate on the 39.5" is hilarious - it's much higher than the Veon brand in general (which is already ridiculous).
    What store do you work? Are you sure it's not just your store that gets alot of returns?

Are the Sony and Samsung models at the warehouse any good?

14. Post
    Hybridgarage wrote:
    What store do you work? Are you sure it's not just your store that gets alot of returns?

Are the Sony and Samsung models at the warehouse any good?
    Sony and Samsung are going to be the same quality, no matter where you buy them from.

15. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Sony and Samsung are going to be the same quality, no matter where you buy them from.
    this

16. Post
    Hybridgarage wrote:
    Are you sure it's not just your store that gets alot of returns?
    I'm sure. Our system lets us look up stock movement in any store - and all the logs for that particular barcode are full of transaction code '220' which is a return. lol.

17. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    Lmao, your job means absolutely nothing in this discussion. I have a few friends who are animators and artists for Weta, and they would be the first to admit it contributes absolutely nothing towards their ability to tell the difference between non-calibrated TV sets. What a stupid post.
    Depends what villai's job is. Of course someone doing animation or modelling doesn't need to know about screen calibration. A generalist on the other hand may very well need to.

18. Post
    Richard7666 wrote:
    Depends what villai's job is. Of course someone doing animation or modelling doesn't need to know about screen calibration. A generalist on the other hand may very well need to.
    Which is exactly what I was trained as (and we were taught a lot about calibration). I realized shortly after posting that the people replying had no idea what they're talking about.

I'm not sure why it's so far fetched to imagine people working in animation need accurate colors. FYI 'animation' is also a collective, not just referring to people who do animation specifically.
    Last edited by Viilai; 21st February 2015 at 2:53 pm.

19. Post
    All the training in the world doesn't give you the ability to compare two non-calibrated panels, given you could have two identical panels look completely different when calibrated at opposite ends of the scale, where one looks terrible and the other looks great.

20. Post
    Looking at buying a new 50"+ tv for my man room. Is this a good deal? http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/re...roduct/1897847

21. Post
    Yep.

22. Post
    if you're going to buy a veon from the warehouse, make sure you either scan or take a photo of the receipt and upload it to cloud data, or even email it to yourself. They're pretty good prices and that 3year warranty is a pretty good sweetner. But that 3yr warranty is as good as tits on a bull if you lose the receipt. Doesn't matter if its 9 months old or 2.5 years old. No receipt, no warranty.

23. Post
    What ? surely they keep these on a DB, hell when I worked at Noels 20 years ago they did this.

24. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    if you're going to buy a veon from the warehouse, make sure you either scan or take a photo of the receipt and upload it to cloud data, or even email it to yourself. They're pretty good prices and that 3year warranty is a pretty good sweetner. But that 3yr warranty is as good as tits on a bull if you lose the receipt. Doesn't matter if its 9 months old or 2.5 years old. No receipt, no warranty.
    Or you always pay with a card and not cash as the card is traceable in the database, and you have evidence you bought it via your bank statement and when you did. Those lifetips yo.

25. Post
    you are kidding right the warehouse is the only store in all of NZ that sells tvs ?