1. Post

a weird broadband question.

Right so I'm moving into a flat up north and currently they can only get satellite broadband, because everytime they have tried to get the regular broadband from telecom they are told that all the ports are full or something.

So my question is would trying a different ISP change the outcome? I'm not sure how things work at the exchanges and such.

It's not too much of a hassle but I've heard and read that satellite internet tends to have higher latency which destroys any plans for online gaming. Also it is quite a bit more expensive.

2. Post
    different isp still goes through telecom's central office/remote terminal using the same port so it will probably not make a difference

3. Post
    Depends where 'North' is.

Northpower is putting their own UFB in Whangarei apparently. If you're in that area, then you could be in luck.

But if you're not in a UFB rollout area then DaNzA's likely right.

4. Post
    Check if there's local ISPs offering wireless internet near your area too.

5. Post
    It's. In one tree point, about 30min south of whangarei. wouldn't wireless bb also be the same not so good for online gaming? Guess we will just keep waiting. They say 6 months waiting time.

6. Post
    http://ubergroup.co.nz/ Ask them if they do fixed wireless in your area.

7. Post
    Thanks, turns out they are already on uber network and its not satellite. and its not actually as bad as I thought wireless broadband would be... speed test is giving 6mb down and 3mb up at abput 32ms ping to auckland which is not far off what I could get with a wired broadband connection in the same area.

8. Post
    As far as the Copper network, all the ISP's will be running off shared ports (BBA). I don't believe any ISP has its own LLU gear up north.

What you're referring to is called a "Port Waiter", if you're waiting for a port, then its best to leave your order in with 1 provider - as changing providers will reset your place in the wait list. Some only wait a few months, but i've seen some cases of customers waiting years. Your ISP should get an estimated timeframe from Chorus though.

As mentioned above, Northpower & Crown Fibre (Uber Group) are doing Fibre in Whangarei but unfortunately One Tree Point isnt scheduled.

Wireless can actually be a very good service, and WISP's are becoming more and more popular. Especially with affordable links like Ubiquiti's airFibre for extending their reach with the help of Microtik Router boards. They usually feed out to the areas from a Fibre backhaul link which gives a pretty consistant service. Typically they also use batteries & solar panels, so they arent as heavily impacted by localised power outages either

9. Post
    Resurrecting an old thread, don't hate me. Does anyone know of any WISP's that provide their service via point to point radio, rather than 3G/4G or satellite?

Cheers.

10. Post
    CheeseToastie wrote:
    Resurrecting an old thread, don't hate me. Does anyone know of any WISP's that provide their service via point to point radio, rather than 3G/4G or satellite?

Cheers.
    Theres no national WISP that will do that.
    In Taranaki a friend runs Primo Wireless which is point to point with fiber backhaul.
    Not sure what WISP's are in other areas