[Please Read] Important VDSL Information

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    There is Fibre yes, but not where I live yet. Apparently it wont be available in my area until June/July next year. This is why I ended up going with VDSL. Its now installed, but I don't have a modem/router. I purchased a belkin modem router from Harvey Norman which the guy in there said would work with VDSL, but it turned out not to be compatible so took it back.

2. Post
    Only VDSL available for me for the next 1 month to 3 years (approximations from different providers).

3. Post
    Good to read this. Just had VDSL installed this morning and it wasn't as fast as I was expecting. Hopefully it gets better in the next week or so.

4. Post
    Such rubbish in the posts above. I haven't been on in ages.

So....
    I do these everyday right.

Cat5/5e/6 make marginal differences in speed. Here is why...

Its twisted lots (obviously).
    You are adding more and most of the time smaller conductor to the network.

The most difference I have noticed is around 3Mbit downstream gain from me doing 2 hours more wiring. (3mbit best case)
    Personally, the wiring in your house is your own. You don't get the power company to fix problems with the power in the house do you? A sparky does it right?

Most of the slow down is in the older network and "cheaper" part of the network.

The guy on post #22 or something saying Chorus replace all the wiring in the house if its ****? No, wrong wrong and more wrong. From the DSL side of the splitter to the RJ45 JP that is installed is where is supposed to be cat cable.
    Its for fibre future proofing mostly anyway, hence why they will want hybrid cable installed.

DLM takes place all the time. its most prominent in the first ten days. Its constantly monitoring.

5. Post
    Useful information..nice post..

6. Post
    what is "bridging" for vdsl modems and why do you need it?
    can someone recommend me a stand alone modem and a router (something thats supported by tomato firmware)?

7. Post
    So tried to get Telecom to install VDSL at my house but the house is too far away from the exchange and the line is too noisy. **** it all.
    I guess I have to live with 4Mb/s dl speeds until fibre comes out in about 2016 guess.
    3rd World country Howick reporting in.

Is there anything I can do to improve my speeds or is it just a waiting game on Chorus?
    The funny(annoying) thing is I lived in another house about 5 blocks from where I currently am and was getting dl speeds of about 12-15 Mb/s

If I'm reading the chorus network site correctly it says i should be able to get 20Mb/s speeds?

8. Post
    Just had VDSL from slingshot, 21mbs at the moment. Biggest problem though, it killed my iTalk VOIP internet phone that's been working OK for the last 6 years. Slingshot says, needs Modem firmware upgrade which may be available in a month or so.That sucks! No mention of my internet phone not going to work when I applied for the VDSL upgrade, despite slingshot supplying my VOIP service. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

9. Post
    Haven't never looked but apparently I can get Fibre according to the chorus site.

10. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    3rd World country Howick reporting in.

Is there anything I can do to improve my speeds or is it just a waiting game on Chorus?
    This is your problem right here, Howick.
    There are a LOT of people either on old copper fed cabinets, or have a long distance back to the exchange in Pakuranga & Howick. I think a lot of it is to do with the density of the suburbs and the way the cables were originally run.

The only thing that could increase your speed, is if you do have a cabinet close to you, but you havent been migrated and are still connected direct to exchange.
    Also given Howick, I guess you probably live in an older property, you may be subject to dodgy wiring - a splitter could help. Even in Howick I wouldnt expect your sync rate to be below 6-8Mbit, unless you're right at the 'end of the line', in which case nothing you can do.

11. Post
    What VDSL modem do you guys recommend? Seems people are split 50/50 on the Zyxel and the Dreytek

12. Post
    Are these Telecom modems alright? http://www.telecom.co.nz/internet/ul...o_home_branded guessing they are rubbish given the price. Looking at a internet plan for new flat. However we get Fibre in 6 months time, so getting VDSL in the interim and buying a spendy modem might not be worth it.

13. Post
    splodg wrote:
    Just had VDSL from slingshot, 21mbs at the moment. Biggest problem though, it killed my iTalk VOIP internet phone that's been working OK for the last 6 years. Slingshot says, needs Modem firmware upgrade which may be available in a month or so.That sucks! No mention of my internet phone not going to work when I applied for the VDSL upgrade, despite slingshot supplying my VOIP service. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

you using separate ATA for the voip or is the modem also your voip adapter?
    A: you shouldn't have a problem
    b: what modem is it? maybe there's an overseas firmware upgrade available?

@^, talk to your provider/would be provider about the 12 month contract for vdsl, do you get free modem, can you move to fibre when it becomes available etc, will there be a new contract etc

14. Post
    Lord_Montgomery wrote:
    Are these Telecom modems alright? http://www.telecom.co.nz/internet/ul...o_home_branded guessing they are rubbish given the price. Looking at a internet plan for new flat. However we get Fibre in 6 months time, so getting VDSL in the interim and buying a spendy modem might not be worth it.
    They are fine for general use, better than the Technicolor TG589vn they were using before. The HG630b also supports ADSL/VDSL/UFB and has failover for a 3G data stick as well, and plenty of features like DLNA etc...It also has dual antenna, compared to the TG589vn's single one

15. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    This is your problem right here, Howick.
    There are a LOT of people either on old copper fed cabinets, or have a long distance back to the exchange in Pakuranga & Howick. I think a lot of it is to do with the density of the suburbs and the way the cables were originally run.

The only thing that could increase your speed, is if you do have a cabinet close to you, but you havent been migrated and are still connected direct to exchange.
    Also given Howick, I guess you probably live in an older property, you may be subject to dodgy wiring - a splitter could help. Even in Howick I wouldnt expect your sync rate to be below 6-8Mbit, unless you're right at the 'end of the line', in which case nothing you can do.
    The house isn't that old ... Early 90's construction although it is down a right of way (3 houses back from roadside) and is a one of four houses on a cross leased section.
    I imagine everything was done on the cheap though judging by the **** everywhere under the house and I suspect a proper inspection of the wiring would help.

16. Post
    Anyone know if the Telecom HG630b can do bridge mode?

17. Post
    The exchange is at the end of O'Halloran road, and yeah there are quite a lot of lines that aren't cabinetised and run a long way back to the exchange which is unfortunate.

18. Post
    Jumped on the wagon for VDSL upgrade. A guy from Chorus came and I demanded him to use CAT6 but he only had CAT5 cables. Would this be something that I should notify telecom and get them to replace the cable under the house?

19. Post
    Just had VDSL installed today, what speeds should I expect? I'm about 50m from the exchange.

Currently have:

20. Post
    Give it a week for the connection to get consistent then check.

21. Post
    Doing some research my line attenuation should be a hell of a lot lower. The tech used the existing cable and I can't even tell what type it is, I'm going to assume it's CAT3

22. Post
    taekwon wrote:
    Jumped on the wagon for VDSL upgrade. A guy from Chorus came and I demanded him to use CAT6 but he only had CAT5 cables. Would this be something that I should notify telecom and get them to replace the cable under the house?

whats the point? cat6 is going to give you absolutely no advantage over the cat5e twisted pair being used. VDSL2 peaks at 100Mbit on standard copper, cat5e supports 1Gbit throughput

Galent wrote:
    Just had VDSL installed today, what speeds should I expect? I'm about 50m from the exchange.
    Distance depends on the loop the copper has to take from the DSLAM to your Modem. 50metres would be 70Mbit/10Mbit on Chorus cards. The copper may run down the road and back up, it may not be a direct path. In saying that though give it a week or two, your attenuation is only just slightly higher than mine and I have 67Mbit

23. Post
    Not a lot has changed

24. Post
    Uptime 1 day? Pretty sure it needs to stay live for a week to settle?

25. Post
    It's been doing that by itself, it just reset again 13hrs ago