[Please Read] Important VDSL Information

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    odd

How reliable is the power point

2. Post
    So I had some heating conversation with Telecom but they say I need to pay 199 if I wanted CAT6 instead of CAT5 cable. Well I guess I should settle at that and suck it up and be happy with CAT5. I'm liking VDSL though.

3. Post
    If the cable is new it's pretty easy to mouse your own new cat6 through using the cat5 that's there if you're confident doing it yourself x)

4. Post
    taekwon wrote:
    So I had some heating conversation with Telecom but they say I need to pay 199 if I wanted CAT6 instead of CAT5 cable. Well I guess I should settle at that and suck it up and be happy with CAT5. I'm liking VDSL though.
    There is absolutely no point to get CAT6 to the splitter.

5. Post
    Still only getting 30Mpbs, possible issue with modem? At my old house it seemed to cap out around that mark too.

6. Post
    what is VDSL standard
    G.993.2 Annex B PSD Mask
    G.994.1 Annex A

which one does NZ use in any case?

7. Post
    G.993.2

8. Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	312321321321.png 
Views:	696 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	195790

Just got vdsl installed, slingshot, using asus dsl-n66u modem.

Seems ok, however my line attenuation up seems rather high? O_o

9. Post
    lol 100dB. It cant be that high, must be a reporting error on the modem stats.
    If it was that high, you wouldnt have NEAR the 10Mbit up you're syncing at. It's normal though for the upstream attenuation to be considerably higher, because of where the upstream bins sit in the frequency range (most of the 8b profile downstream sits in the lower frequencies, upstream above that, then 17a profile bins in the high frequencies).

P.S you spelt Vodafone wrong.
    P.P.S you spelt TL/SCC/IPT/etc...wrong

10. Post
    tobyjohnson wrote:
    It's also important to know that Chorus are required to install CAT6 cabling if there is no existing CAT5 or better when installing VDSL. Be aware that the technicians will do anything they can to avoid installing CAT6, even to the point of lying outright to their field managers that the house has CAT5 already. If they didn't install CAT6 when setting up your VDSL (and you don't already have CAT5 wiring), contact your service provider and Chorus will be required to return and install CAT6. CAT6 will make a massive difference to your signal quality.

This is actually what happened to us when they installed our VDSL. I made the mistake of leaving the house while the technician did the install. I'm still arguing with Chorus (via Telecom) as to whether the house (which is > 100yrs old) has existing CAT5 or not as that was the technicians excuse to his field manager for not installing CAT6.
    I don't mean to sound ignorant.. but how will I know the difference as a customer? As in, I'm getting VDSL installed later this week - how will I know that I have Cat 5 or better installed? I didn't realize there was a difference between the two visually besides getting up close to the cable and seeing the inscriptions labeled along it. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Look like a weirdo getting up close to a cable while the guy's doing the install? Lol.

11. Post
    Exactly how much cabling will Chorus install?

We are in 2 storey house and the entry point of the telephone is in the garage downstairs and that's where the technician installed the splitter for ADSL. This forces me to run a 50m network cable to the modem and router in the living area upstairs.

If I get VDSL installed can I specify where I want the jack point to be?

Also there are four telephone jacks through the house -do they replace all the telephone cabling?

12. Post
    mmd wrote:
    I don't mean to sound ignorant.. but how will I know the difference as a customer? As in, I'm getting VDSL installed later this week - how will I know that I have Cat 5 or better installed? I didn't realize there was a difference between the two visually besides getting up close to the cable and seeing the inscriptions labeled along it. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Look like a weirdo getting up close to a cable while the guy's doing the install? Lol.
    They wont install anything less than Cat5e. And it doesnt matter for a DSL splitter wether its Cat5 or Cat6, so in summary: it doesnt matter.
    You could always act interested and just check out the spool of cable, while hes threading it through the wall.

brand wrote:
    Exactly how much cabling will Chorus install?

We are in 2 storey house and the entry point of the telephone is in the garage downstairs and that's where the technician installed the splitter for ADSL. This forces me to run a 50m network cable to the modem and router in the living area upstairs.

If I get VDSL installed can I specify where I want the jack point to be?

Also there are four telephone jacks through the house -do they replace all the telephone cabling?
    There isnt an exact amount, it typically comes more down to how difficult the job is, than how long the cable is (within reason).
    My house would be extremely easy to run a cable from 1 side to the other through the ceiling cavity, others like lockwood style homes typically dont have these crawl spaces and are much more difficult. Its unlikely they will run it upstairs though in newer homes as they usually have the cable underground so the Entrance Point is at the bottom. You can often pay extra for work like this, but depending on the home you may need a tradesman to open up the wall cavity and repair after install.

No they dont replace your jackpoints (unless they are faulty and you have wire maintenance). The point of a splitter is it removes any internal wiring degradation from affecting your broadband connection.

13. Post
    Hey guys, I'm only getting around 18Mbps down on the slingshot VDSL connection. Is there anything I can do my end to increase speeds? I'm using the stock standard router they supplied and the chorus chap installed a new jack point and splitter with cat6. is a router upgrade going to help my situation? If so are there any in particular to purchase / avoid?

Cheers.

14. Post
    I know a few people with Slingshot VDSL, none of them are very happy with the modem they supply - but you should still get a decent sync.
    Did you have ADSL before, do you know what your line rates were before the upgrade? Did Slingshot provide you a prequal of your expected speeds?

If you really want a 3rd party modem, then check out the Asus DSL-N66U

15. Post
    ^Agree, awesome router

16. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    I know a few people with Slingshot VDSL, none of them are very happy with the modem they supply - but you should still get a decent sync.
    Did you have ADSL before, do you know what your line rates were before the upgrade? Did Slingshot provide you a prequal of your expected speeds?

If you really want a 3rd party modem, then check out the Asus DSL-N66U
    This is the first connection I've had at this house. We've just moved it. Only ADSL at the house before.

Slingshot state VDSL speeds are between 15 - 70mbps. 18 just seems a bit slow, I'm in the Hillcrest area. I was getting similar speeds in my old place at Northcote on ADSL. :/

I also read that it can take up to 10 days to get to full speed. It's been close to 3 weeks now since I moved in and it's not changed from day 1.

17. Post
    The PreQuals are showing 18-21Mbit, but the zoning for that area looks like distance wise he should be getting more.
    Will have to talk to Slingshot to run a line test and check out his distance from DSLAM BD/AR

18. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    The PreQuals are showing 18-21Mbit, but the zoning for that area looks like distance wise he should be getting more.
    Will have to talk to Slingshot to run a line test and check out his distance from DSLAM BD/AR
    Jarsky to the rescue. Thanks mate.

19. Post
    Jarsky for president

20. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    Just got off the phone with Slingshot...

They did a speed test and only be got around 20Mbps. The PreQuals they got 18-20Mbps. I then got put through to tech support, they recommended doing absolutely nothing and to enjoy the speed I have! They didn't know when fibre was coming but I do have a free upgrade for when it finally does! I'm currently 4km from the exchange (I almost fell off my chair when I heard that!), so that's the cause of the slow down.

I guess I was spoilt growing up in the UK with super speed internet but it's good to see they are working on fibre in my area now.

Thanks guys, you were spot on.

21. Post
    You cant be on the exchange, you should be on the BD/AR cabinet (according to your neighbours connections) which should just be down the road and is a fibre fed ISAM cabinet. The distance of the exchange is irelevant due to the fibre, but the distance from the cabinet to your home, and the quality of the line is what matters.

Basically ~20Mbps would put you around 800m of line length, but this is dependant on the quality of the copper as I mentioned in my PM.
    In your case if its not the copper quality, then your line must route around several roads, meaning even though the cabinet isnt that far away, the line length is still considerably long.

I already did check for Fibre availability as well, and not yet any plans for your area unfortunately.

22. Post
    Getting guys over to do the rewiring or whatever they have to do later this evening. Any advice on anything I should look for, if there is anything?

Going from ADSL to VDSL. On ADSL we get around 8/0.5. It's real bad.

23. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    You cant be on the exchange, you should be on the BD/AR cabinet (according to your neighbours connections) which should just be down the road and is a fibre fed ISAM cabinet. The distance of the exchange is irelevant due to the fibre, but the distance from the cabinet to your home, and the quality of the line is what matters.

Basically ~20Mbps would put you around 800m of line length, but this is dependant on the quality of the copper as I mentioned in my PM.
    In your case if its not the copper quality, then your line must route around several roads, meaning even though the cabinet isnt that far away, the line length is still considerably long.

I already did check for Fibre availability as well, and not yet any plans for your area unfortunately.
    So I'm on the wrong cabinet box? Sorry I'm tad confused, slingshot told me the cable runs from my house and then to the box which is 3.7(ish)Km from my house. From there it goes to them on faster cables (im assuming they did mean fibre). That 4km cable distance is what's screwing me according to the lady I spoke to, they said there's nothing they can do...

Im assuming im the first setup in this image from the information i've been told.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1343829490_w670_h350.png 
Views:	415 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	196277

Sorry jarsky, I'm more of a hardware guy!

mmd wrote:
    Getting guys over to do the rewiring or whatever they have to do later this evening. Any advice on anything I should look for, if there is anything?

Going from ADSL to VDSL. On ADSL we get around 8/0.5. It's real bad.
    I made my guy 2 cups of Coffee, he then became super helpful and informative!
    Last edited by Logikk; 7th May 2014 at 3:40 pm.

24. Post
    If they are telling you you are connected to the exchange, their logic fails as there is absolutely no way you can get VDSL at that distance. Science tells us, there is a physical limit because of the attenuation of the signals.

You are on a cabinet in your area, 99.5% you're on the one above I mentioned (unless that was full and you got connected to another, or they put you on LLU gear in another cabinet because its cheaper for them), given I checked all your neighbours who are with us, and they are on that cabinet.
    You are diagram 2, the only cabinets being moved to VDSL are the ASAMs which are fibre fed (ethernet nodes) back to the Exchange.

The distance probably is whats screwing you (which is why it was best to get them to run a test and check your distance to the cabinet), but you are not connecting to a DSLAM 4KM away, thats utter rubbish.

I made my guy 2 cups of Coffee, he then became super helpful and informative!
    Great one! The technicians are contracted and they take a lot of flack, look after them and they'll take care of you

25. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    If they are telling you you are connected to the exchange, their logic fails as there is absolutely no way you can get VDSL at that distance. Science tells us, there is a physical limit because of the attenuation of the signals.

You are on a cabinet in your area, 99.5% you're on the one above I mentioned (unless that was full and you got connected to another, or they put you on LLU gear in another cabinet because its cheaper for them), given I checked all your neighbours who are with us, and they are on that cabinet.
    You are diagram 2, the only cabinets being moved to VDSL are the ASAMs which are fibre fed (ethernet nodes) back to the Exchange.

The distance probably is whats screwing you (which is why it was best to get them to run a test and check your distance to the cabinet), but you are not connecting to a DSLAM 4KM away, thats utter rubbish.

Great one! The technicians are contracted and they take a lot of flack, look after them and they'll take care of you
    I found the big green box at the end of my road, maybe 100m from the house..., didn't notice it before as there was a tree hanging over it. I guess that's not the one I'm on then... Mmm oh well. I'll complain again later next week, didn't sound like they even wanted to know when I called. Maybe that slingshot rep that browses the forums could PM me and take look.