[Please Read] Important VDSL Information

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    Does your VDSL modem work in any of those jackpoints or just one?

If all work you have no spliter.

Also you definitely should not be using one of those plug in filters that we can see on the floor in one of those photos.

Do you know how far away you are from your cabinet/exchange? If you don't know, I can find out for you if you pm me your address.

2. Post
    OK, definitely no splitter.

iRoN wrote:
    Do you know how far away you are from your cabinet/exchange? If you don't know, I can find out for you if you pm me your address.
    Thanks! I can't send PMs yet, um… I live very near [removed] Dominion Road.
    Last edited by looseleaf; 21st December 2017 at 8:53 pm.

3. Post
    looseleaf wrote:
    OK, definitely no splitter.

Thanks! I can't send PMs yet, um… I live very near [removed] Dominion Road.
    Based on the exact property you supplied, you would be connected to the Mount Roskill exchange, which is approx 700m South.

Unfortunately it is not a direct feed; your cable runs past you, to the cabinet @ Invermay Ave and doubles back to your property, so your total copper run is just over 1KM - one of the properties nearby was 1.28KM.

Based on this, you wouldn't necessarily be in for a huge upgrade if you got a splitter. Over 1km VDSL performance drops off quite a bit (1.5KMish is where VDSL drops below ADSL speeds), but you should still be able to get 25-30/10 roughly @ 1.2/1.3KM if you had a master splitter. Recent upgrades + incoming vectoring is improving this.

No guarantees tho - at that distance and going through an old school cabinet you may be at your cable pairs limit already.

Also what modem are you using? A couple (mainly slingshot) tend to sync up a good 10M slower than other devices on VDSL.
    Last edited by iRoN; 22nd December 2017 at 3:21 pm.

4. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    Based on this, you wouldn't necessarily be in for a huge upgrade if you got a splitter. Over 1km VDSL performance drops off quite a bit, but you should still be able to get 25-30/10 roughly @ 1.2/1.3KM if you had a master splitter. No guarantees tho - at that distance and going through an old school cabinet you may be at your cable pairs limit already.

Also what modem are you using? A couple (mainly slingshot) tend to sync up a good 10M slower than other devices on VDSL.
    Oh no :/ Thanks though. We're using a NetComm NF4V supplied by Orcon

5. Post
    Do you have a phone line at all?

If you do I'd recommend paying the money to get a splitter installed, I would expect an improvement.

If you're just naked broadband then yeah :/ harder to justify the recommendation as you're more likely to have less room to improve. It might bump you up 10M, or only 2M.

Just my 2c - good luck
    Last edited by iRoN; 22nd December 2017 at 3:55 pm.

6. Post
    Thanks for your help. We're on naked broadband, so we'll have a chat about whether we want to gamble on a splitter that might not do anything.

7. Post
    @iron is there anywhere to find out where the exhanges are or is that something only ISP's have access to?

Sort of in the same situation as looseleaf, the speeds aren't too bad but don't have a master splitter installed, and the phone/modem is plugged into the wall with one of those adsl splitter things.

Not upset with speeds, but if theres things I can do to improve, obviously I wanna go as fast as possible :P

8. Post
    Deathbat wrote:
    @iron is there anywhere to find out where the exhanges are or is that something only ISP's have access to?

Sort of in the same situation as looseleaf, the speeds aren't too bad but don't have a master splitter installed, and the phone/modem is plugged into the wall with one of those adsl splitter things.

Not upset with speeds, but if theres things I can do to improve, obviously I wanna go as fast as possible :P
    https://gis.geek.nz/chorus/@-39.3824959,176.7246094,8z

9. Post
    Hey team - I'm at my parents place in Te Atatu and they're having issues with their VDSL connection. It seems to sync okay, but the actual speed is highly variable (e.g. speedtest.net reports as low as 1Mbps - currently it seems reasonably stable at 9Mbps) and browsing is painful.

I've tried:
    - isolating the modem (unplugged three analogue handsets - on line filters)
    - plugging it into different jacks around the house with and without a line filter
    - using a shorter cable between the modem and the jack
    - upgraded the firmware on the modem (Vodafone Home Gateway HG659)

None of these have really helped. Their POTS is about to get turned off and replaced with a VoIP phone which should eliminate some of the potential causes, but any suggestions on what else to try? When they first got upgraded to VDSL they were told that Vodafone/Chorus were no longer installing a master line splitter and that the existing line filters should be fine. The cabinet is only a block away, so I wouldn't think that distance should be an issue...

VDSL stats below:

10. Post
    You sure their upstream bandwidth is not being saturated i.e. connection is idle?

I see there is also minimal interleaving, could there also be lots of errors on the line? Is there a page on the modem with error statistics? If downstream line attenuation is indicative of loop length, you may want to consider switching back to ADSL2+ if copper is the only option.

11. Post
    tehyitz wrote:
    You sure their upstream bandwidth is not being saturated i.e. connection is idle?

I see there is also minimal interleaving, could there also be lots of errors on the line? Is there a page on the modem with error statistics? If downstream line attenuation is indicative of loop length, you may want to consider switching back to ADSL2+ if copper is the only option.
    Yeah, pretty sure it's not an upstream issue - checked with all wireless devices disconnected. The modem isn't reporting any errors on the stats page.

Their ADSL2 connection was worse (marginally) - they were getting 8 Mbps at best and often <2. Not due for fibre until 2019, I think.