Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    I am stunned, surprised, and overjoyed at this announcement.

...as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot. With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we've decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III.
    We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players.
    Its not happening until March 2014, but as someone who lost faith in the franchise mainly due to the imbalance and loss of game focus introduced by the poorly thought out AHs I am stoked about this, and as a result will most likely pick up the expansion when it releases. The Auction Houses were a terrible solution to a problem that was blown out of proportion, and I am certain that a more elegant solution can be put in game to reduce exploitation, duping, and illicit trading.

I am glad to see Blizzard not only admit the failure of the AH, but take full ownership of the issue, and make the huge decision to excise the whole thing.

Perhaps its just taken time for Blizz to realise that they failed to fix the problem they wanted to with the AHs, but it seems that things are improving since Jay (f**k that guy) left the dev team.

Things are definitely looking up in Sanctuary.

3. Post
    Once again the whinging minority ruin a good thing.

4. Post
    Cry my a river. The only people upset about the AHs being removed are the exact same people should be ignored due to their focus on the non game aspects of Diablo. Anyone that thinks that the Auction Houses actually improved anything are either botters, trade whores looking to make a proft, or lazy non players.

And its not the "whinging minority" considering that most players have an issue with it, and its the minority of AH addicts that seem hell bent on keeping the AH despite ruining the games balance and drop rates. Just look at the console versions for confirmation about how gimped the PC itemisation is. You're the minority here chief. Blizzard themselves admit the failures of the AHs as CLEARLY outlined in their announcement.
    Blizzard wrote:
    When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades. But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot. With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we've decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III.
    Hell anyone with half a brain can see the utter failure of the houses when drop became about "whats it worth" rather than "how good is it".

If player complaints were really being listened to then the "always on" aspect of the game would be removed too as its just as/ if not more contentious than the AHs in some quarters.

5. Post
    Okay so now gold becomes worthless.
    Now you have killed the trade market.

They didn't need to remove the gold AH (RMAH could go but meh I don't really care about that) for these new changes to come into play.

I don't know how new you are to the diablo series, but finding top tier items with your desired stats is, and always has been, neigh on impossible.

This is a case of people not seeing the forest for the trees.
    The AH stabilizes prices, and consolidates a trading market, and gives a single currency.

6. Post
    epic

**** the pay 2 win bitches.

7. Post
    def anticipating the xpac now

8. Post
    I personally really enjoyed the AH and the RMAH. I liked finding stuff and playing around seeing what it could sell for. But given that this is my first time playing a Diablo game, and the majority say it is better with no AH, I guess I'm looking forward to trying it out in Reaper. Looking forward to this.

9. Post
    Okay, good good... next step is to make offline play available so I can finally sit down and play the game without any f*cking lag.

Do that Blizzard and you will have finally redeemed yourself, albeit nearly 2 years after the initial game release.

10. Post
    Tbh that isn't even why the game is shit

11. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    Okay so now gold becomes worthless.
    Now you have killed the trade market.
    Not exactly true, but I despise how artificial and inflated the prices are as a result of botting and item flippers.

MarksoN wrote:
    They didn't need to remove the gold AH (RMAH could go but meh I don't really care about that) for these new changes to come into play.
    Yes they did. The AH takes the itemisation out of the game, and as a result ruined the item hunt in game. The AH was a self perpetuating item store. It ruined drop rates and meant that you NEEDED to use it to upgrade gear. This by definition is ruining game play.

MarksoN wrote:
    I don't know how new you are to the diablo series, but finding top tier items with your desired stats is, and always has been, neigh on impossible.
    Are you serious? I still own my copy of Diablo I bought when it first released.

I've played literally thousands of hours of Diablo II, and you're just full of shit about finding great stat items. Could you find the perfect item easily? No. Hell no, and thats what we want. It SHOULD be hard to find the ideal item as that the entire point of the game. Its a loot hunt and the AH completely ruined it. F**k the Auction Houses and the impatient little shits who cant be bothered to wait/work/earn the next epic item. Taking the itme hunt out of game is EXACTLY whats wrong with Diablo III.

MarksoN wrote:
    This is a case of people not seeing the forest for the trees.
    The AH stabilizes prices, and consolidates a trading market, and gives a single currency.
    No this is what needed to happen so more game oriented measures can be introduced. Bring in Clans and better in game trading. Make trading be about gear not gold. Make trading about networking not a fkn search window.
    Nothing good came from the AH's. It just fostered a reliance on a non game solution and took the fun out of the grind.
    This is literally the best thing they could have done, but there needs to be some alternative mechanics introduced to allow for item trading in game. I hope they take the time to come up with something that keeps the focus on finding epic drops and not on what can I "get" for it.

Kog wrote:
    Tbh that isn't even why the game is shit
    It is the root cause of most of my game issues. Sure the story is still shit, and character builds lack the progression and accomplishment previous Diablos offered, but this is a step in the right direction. They need to move to a more permanent character progression system though the skill swapping and limited skill tree still fail to meet the Diablo standard imo.

12. Post
    This is great, may play once it has been removed!

13. Post
    yeh they gotta bring in the bnet that sc2hots has IMO, at least

which they probably will be doing

so i guess the xpac will be coming out around that time i guess ~

14. Post
    Sweet, AH going byebye! Now all it needs is more random levels, and a greater variety of character builds.

15. Post
    I wonder how much the drop rate is going to change considering how much the AH changed the drop rate from D2 to D3 in the 1st place.

16. Post
    Whoa, that's big news for the game. Honestly don't care that much at this point but it'll make my eventual return when the expansion comes out a bit more interesting.

17. Smile
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Sweet, AH going byebye! Now all it needs is more random levels, and a greater variety of character builds.
    random lvls is definitely in act5/xpac levels

18. Post
    Good change but meh, introducing it March 2014? Cool well might come back to this game in 6 months then, if PoE doesn't completely outshine it by then.

19. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    words
    Almost everything you have described, the AH has no bearing on it.

All it will do is:-
    Kill in-game economy (bad)
    Remove the casual-ness to it (bad, i don't want to have to grind for hours to MAYBE find an item I can use)
    Remove a good trading hub (bad, WTS WTS WTS WTS WTB WTB WTB WTB [link][link][link][link][link][link] ect)
    Kill the ability to price an item, which won't matter as AH is gone
    Bring people back that think the AH is the spawn of all evil

What it won't do:-
    Make the game better
    Remove bots
    Improve story
    Make it easier to make a TOP tier character (maybe, no idea how loot2.0 will go)
    Improve character build choices

Sorry I just can't see the pay-off here.

20. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    Sorry I just can't see the pay-off here.
    Its obvious. Better drops, gearing up moves back to the game. Destroys the external economy.

Dont want to grind for gear. Dont play Diablo... or any ARPG Dungeon Crawler ever made.
    The AH was made for people who dont want to play the game as it was originally intended. The people who leave because of this wont be missed by anyone. Good riddance imo.

21. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    i don't want to have to grind for hours to MAYBE find an item I can use
    Do you also not like having to click on things?

22. Post
    So they are taking the step backwards that was actually a good thing in D3?
    cryocore wrote:
    Its obvious. Better drops, gearing up moves back to the game. Destroys the external economy.
    This part got a real chuckle out of me.
    This shows exactly how much you know about the external economy as it will do exactly what it did in D2, and move back to external websites.

23. Post
    3rd parties, be partying!

24. Post
    Pretty crazy.

25. Post
    Excellent. Now get rid of the DRM and I'll buy it.

MarksoN wrote:
    i don't want to have to grind for hours to MAYBE find an item I can use
    Translation:

"i don't want to play Diablo"

26. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    Once again the whinging minority ruin a good thing.
    Sounds like you are the minority here.

Who knows if the drop rates will make the game worth playing for me, but as they were when I last played it, the only viable option to progress was the AH, which was of no interest to me.