1. Post
    Stasis wrote:
    I went to get some microlab 6c's to replace my z5500's in my room, but seems like it's impossible to find them in NZ new now ;-; or even second hand...
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?t=523744

2. Post
    You're a blessing, pm'd him.

Actually after two sets and a set of 7c's too lol

3. Post
    Sadly was taken, however made a thread so putting here in case anyone misses and it selling 6c's/7c's

https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/5...Microlab-6C-7C

4. Post
    Quite keen on a upgrade to my $300 soundbar, more surround options coming onto the market this year - quite like systems with just the bar, sub and a couple small wireless rears as that's just about all the available space taken up - certainly no space for speaker stands or traditional large 5:1 or 7:1 systems

will see later on what other manufactures have but so far this only is looking appealing

https://www.sony.co.nz/electronics/sound-bars/ht-z9f
    +
    https://www.sony.co.nz/electronics/sound-bars/sa-z9r

5. Post
    Are you in a situation where you can mount things to your walls? Even better, run cable under floors etc?

http://international.kef.com/home-th...stems/t-series

Would take up effectively no space at all, apart from the sub (which you already face with a sound bar). Also would sound much better than any sound bar.

6. Post
    Unfortunately don't have anything to put the front two on - will end up standing on the floor - have furniture to stand the rears on - no options for wall mounts or running elaborate cable systems as the TV setup is against a large window - so I want to get as much wireless as possible and the soundbar eliminates the issue of having no place for the front 2 speakers

This is last year's model from sony: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/so...atmos-soundbar

Review seems to be ok - sure it's not going to be as good as the setup you posted but that would also cost more (not really an issue for me, but space is an issue and can't do modifications to the house). I'd love to be able to go all in, get some real atmos speakers and a nice av receiver but I'm about 3 years from moving to a bigger place

Main complaint about last year's model was having to sit in a very specific spot to get the overhead atmos effect, this year's model fixes that somewhat but probably still requires sitting close to the soundbar (which I do) and this year's model includes the two rears - it's also a lot cheaper than last year
    Last edited by SirGrim; 26th March 2018 at 2:46 pm.

7. Post
    Im waiting for the Z9F to come out.
    Hopefully its better than the NT5 which is the only decent soundbar from Sony last couple years available in NZ.
    With Sony if it doesn't have "Hi-Res" then the top end is muddy and would stay away.

8. Post
    Pitty no one is selling Nakamichi bars here - they seem to offer most of the features as the other high-end models but at about half the price, take this for example: https://www.amazon.com/Nakamichi-Sho...nakamichi&th=1

9. Post
    What about something like this: https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Prod...64609__N.27756
    Handy if you're already in the MusicCast bubble.

10. Post
    I've looked at the Yamaha's - I have some concerns although they do look mostly impressive

* the bar is rated at 76w output plus 130w from the sub, my current 2:1 system is already 250w RMS, looking for more power in an upgrade rather than less. Even the top model YSP-5600 is rated only at 128w, can these bars deliver sound that is loud enough to be convincing?

* No DTS:X and Dolby Atmos support - not a major issue anyway since there's only so much these bars can do and most of atmos for example would be virtual anyway

* No HDR pass through (this is an issue because my PC and PS4 both pass HDR signals)

* I'm unsure if it works with wireless rears - yes it says it an bounce sound off walls but I believe actual rear speakers will do a better job
    Last edited by SirGrim; 28th March 2018 at 2:07 pm.

11. Post
    Why would the soundbar need HDR pass through? Does HDR carry sound too or?
    As for the rest, fair enough, not sure why you don't go for a proper surround sound setup if you're wanting 7.1 with all the bells and whistles. I don't mean a soundbar with rear speakers either, I don't imagine they would compare to a proper amplifier that covers Dolby etc.

12. Post
    If going with Yamaha would step up to the 2700. Has HDR passthrough.
    https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Prod...64609__N.27756

Is atmos worth it? not much content still.

If the Z9F turns out average will be the 2700 for me.

I find 5.1 is overrated, i pulled out my rears and havent missed them at all.

13. Post
    I'm going to measure up later, my TV is on a mounted stand with glass layers under so the TV isn't on top of the unit on it's feet - so I have a fair bit of space between the TV and the unit

If that space is more than 12cm then I can fit the YSP-5600

In that case, if the Z9F is a bust, I think the YSP-5600 + NS-SW300 makes for a good option, it doesn't do HDR pass through but maybe I don't need that - can I just keep connecting my devices to my TV and then use a single HDMI(ARC) connection to the soundbar?
    Last edited by SirGrim; 28th March 2018 at 3:45 pm.

14. Post
    Not 100% sure on that one, worst case is optical from TV to soundbar and you have to turn the soundbar on with TV.
    I have TV connected via ARC to receiver and it turns it on no worries. Doesn't seem to matter what input the TV is using either. I have nothing connected device wise, to TV or receiver though, which is why i'm not certain.

Is HDCP2.2 not HDR passthrough compatible? (hard to keep up)

15. Post
    ok found my answer - that won't work, the ysp-5600 is a dud without HDR pass-through

connecting my devices to the TV will cut out any advanced audio formats such as DTS:X/DTS True HD & Atmos as these audio formats don't pass-through ARC, to get the best audio all devices need to go through the soundbar to the TV but I'll be losing all my HDR by doing that

It doesn't look like HDCP2.2 includes HDR, the ysp-5600 is just a bit long in the tooth now and outdated with more modern standards, hopefully yamaha is working on a replacement because this one reviews highly

Markuchi wrote:
    If going with Yamaha would step up to the 2700. Has HDR passthrough.
    https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Prod...64609__N.27756

Is atmos worth it? not much content still.

If the Z9F turns out average will be the 2700 for me.

I find 5.1 is overrated, i pulled out my rears and havent missed them at all.
    2700 has the HDR but not the Atmos/DTS-X so lacks some future proofing and also with only 100w output (most of which comes from the sub and not the bar), I'm not sure if its enough to fill the room - my TV is on a 30m2 room

Fragluton wrote:
    Why would the soundbar need HDR pass through? Does HDR carry sound too or?
    As for the rest, fair enough, not sure why you don't go for a proper surround sound setup if you're wanting 7.1 with all the bells and whistles. I don't mean a soundbar with rear speakers either, I don't imagine they would compare to a proper amplifier that covers Dolby etc.
    As above, ARC doesn't support pass-through of DTS-X/Atmos so there is no point using a system that supports it if connecting through the TV and ARC into the soundbar. That means to get the best audio from your source you need to plug all your HDMI cables into the soundbar and then that passes into the TV, but if the soundbar doesn't support HDR, then it will strip HDR out of the signal that it passes onto the TV

A proper 5:1:2 system would be fantastic and I'd be happy to drop up to $5k on such a system (assuming that's enough for that setup) however I don't have the space for all those speakers, will have the space in a couple years so just looking for something to tide me over until then
    Last edited by SirGrim; 29th March 2018 at 8:20 am.

16. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I've looked at the Yamaha's - I have some concerns although they do look mostly impressive

* the bar is rated at 76w output plus 130w from the sub, my current 2:1 system is already 250w RMS, looking for more power in an upgrade rather than less. Even the top model YSP-5600 is rated only at 128w, can these bars deliver sound that is loud enough to be convincing?

* No DTS:X and Dolby Atmos support - not a major issue anyway since there's only so much these bars can do and most of atmos for example would be virtual anyway

* No HDR pass through (this is an issue because my PC and PS4 both pass HDR signals)

* I'm unsure if it works with wireless rears - yes it says it an bounce sound off walls but I believe actual rear speakers will do a better job
    Check out the Bose Soundtouch 300 speakers, front, sub and rears all together sound awesome. HDR pass through all working fine as well.

I have a 5.1 wired setup in my lounge and don't feel i'm missing anything with the full Bose 300 speaker setup in the man cave.

17. Post
    Mhm that could be an option - but I'm not totally convinced - what is your 5.1 setup in the lounge?

Bose doesn't even list the power output on its soundbar, sub or speakers but the rear speakers are tiny and the sub looks quite small as well.

It would cost about $2700 for the full setup (soundbar, sub and two wireless rears) + another $150 for wall mounts if I want to buy them from Bose.. Generally Bose products just look overpriced - are they actually worth their money?

Other than charging $150 for two speaker brackets, the sub is $1100 - how can they charge that much for such a tiny sub

Let's work with the idea that I'm giving up on DTS:X and Atmos, as you guys say there is very little support for these formats, most content is still in conventional 5:1 or 7:1 formats

That means the YSP-5600 is back on table, for the same price I could get the full Bose system or I could get the Yamaha YSP-5600 and a 250w Yamaha sub but which will produce the best sound and most realistic surround sound?

18. Post
    I suspect that most of the price of the Bose is having everything in a smaller package -if space is not too much of any issue then go with a more conventional size system.

19. Post
    And Kidona, did you wall mount the rears? seems to be quite a few complaints online about the wall mounts, apparently the speaker wire clips can't be used if you wall mount them

20. Post
    Bose 300 is overrated. For that budget would definitely go for separate amp and speakers.
    You could get the Yamaha RX-A670 and a speaker package or select the speakers you want.

As an example:
    https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Prod...27515__N.27756
    +
    https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Prod...27277__N.27756
    = $3700

There will be other deals out there which might be better.

21. Post
    for real budget but still decent setup could do
    http://www.avworld.co.nz/shop/produc...x-932/overview
    +
    http://www.avworld.co.nz/shop/produc...-pack/overview

Can always add the .2 speakers for atmos later.

22. Post
    too big no space for floor standing speakers, windows behind and on 1 side of TV speakers can't be wall mounted in front

23. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    And Kidona, did you wall mount the rears? seems to be quite a few complaints online about the wall mounts, apparently the speaker wire clips can't be used if you wall mount them
    I have the rears floor standing Grim using Bose stands. I have them positioned right next to the chair.

For the lounge i'm using a Sony STR-DN1080 Amp and Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series speakers so 9.6 for the fronts, 9.1 for the rears, 9 centre and subwoofer.

The Bose are definitely overpriced for what you get but as Brand said I paid to get a small compact system with minimal wiring without losing the 5.1 surround experience and the system definitely makes the man cave look much cleaner and more spacious with the size of the unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 8.05.31 PM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	221289

Name:	20171216_120228.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	221290

This is the lounge setup but wanted to have a minimal setup in the man cave.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 8.36.02 PM.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	588.6 KB 
ID:	221292
    Last edited by Kidona; 29th March 2018 at 9:38 pm.

24. Post
    Cheers bro, took your advice and picked up the Bose system - actually sounded pretty decent when it worked which was about 5% of the time that I had it for

Single headedly the most frustrating audio experience of my life, in the end gave up on it

My current soundbar and sub was easy - it took me 5 minutes tops to get the sub paired with the soundbar and audio has always passed through HDMI without a single issue so was I wrong to expect the same experience from a system that Bose advertises are being easy, simple and fast?

So here is how it went - unbox everything connect up using all the supplied cables, including HDMI(ARC) then turn on power to everything. After about 10 seconds I start to get sound through the soundbar, sounds pretty good, nothing from sub and rears (to be expected). I then go through the pairing process and the adaptiq calibration.

At this point I run into my first two issues, after pairing and calibration the rear speakers are extremely quiet and drowned out by the soundbar - so I download the latest software for the soundbar and try again, same issue - cant find a way to change sound on the remote or the mobile app. So I googled this, found hundreds of people complaining about the same thing so nothing can be done

Issue #2, the subwoofer makes no sound even though its paired and the sub and soundbar have the white lights on the connection icons - I try power reseting, re-pairing etc to no avail. The sub has a 3.5mm jack port but didn't come with the cable so at this point I'm screwed

So I decide to factory reset the soundbar because I'm stuck and the supplied manual does not do a good enough job of explaining how the remote work or what the icons on the soundbar actually mean (because this soundbar doesn't have a screen to tell you what its doing)

After resetting now I have no audio via HDMI, great - tried power resets, different cables but nope. So I google this and found a massive bose forum thread about Samsung owners saying this soundbar doesn't work with Samung TV's, cool so I try downloading the latest software for the soundbar via the mobile app and latest firmware for my tv and still no sound. So I use the optical cable and then I got sound

Then problem #3, I got sound via optical but now I need to re-pair the sub and rears, upon pairing those and doing the adaptiq again the sound on the soundbar cuts out and I see two orange lights on the soundbar - I try reset, factory reset, power cycle nothing just two orange lights on the soundbar and no sound

I google this and it says this combination of lights means "general system error" wtf is this shit? The bose website gives no further instruction and tells me to call their service center

At that point I said **** it and gave in, so to summarise: the sub woofer never had any sound, the soundbar doesn't work with Samsung TV over HDMI and pairing anything to the soundbar destroyed the audio totally oh and when the rears did work they were super quiet and bose have admitted that can't be fixed. Also forgot to mention, the right-rear wireless receiver has a loud buzzing noise like coil whine, again after googling this I found lots of people complaining about this, even replacements doing the same

Pretty bad experience considering the price of this so called plug and play system

I will say one good thing about this soundbar, at first when I was getting sound on the soundbar I had the sensation of sound passing over my head from the center channel which is really cool and my old soundbar doesn't come close to the sound stage and directional sound that this thing can do - also the bose stuff looks clean, the clear glass on black on the bar and sub looks incredibly nice

At this point I'll just wait for the sony z9f or Samsung hw-n950 and try one of those - the only other alternative as of this moment is that sonos playbar, but gesh that's going to cost almost an extra $1000 and I'm far from convinced that it's actually any better than the bose (or should I say less shitty than the bose)
    Last edited by SirGrim; 31st March 2018 at 5:06 pm.

25. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Cheers bro, took your advice and picked up the Bose system - actually sounded pretty decent when it worked which was about 5% of the time that I had it for

Single headedly the most frustrating audio experience of my life, in the end gave up on it

At this point I run into my first two issues, after pairing and calibration the rear speakers are extremely quiet and drowned out by the soundbar - so I download the latest software for the soundbar and try again, same issue - cant find a way to change sound on the remote or the mobile app. So I googled this, found hundreds of people complaining about the same thing so nothing can be done

Pretty bad experience considering the price of this so called plug and play system

I will say one good thing about this soundbar, at first when I was getting sound on the soundbar I had the sensation of sound passing over my head from the center channel which is really cool and my old soundbar doesn't come close to the sound stage and directional sound that this thing can do - also the bose stuff looks clean, the clear glass on black on the bar and sub looks incredibly nice

At this point I'll just wait for the sony z9f or Samsung hw-n950 and try one of those
    Damn sorry to hear about the experience bro. Never ran in to those issues. Other then trying to figure out what the lights mean and how to adjust bass sub volume it's been a set and forget process since unboxing.

The rear speaker being quiet was a known issue when Bose first dropped the unit as you were never able to adjust the rear speaker volume and several complaints followed as I used to have my rears far behind me in my old room.

Last year in Feb Bose released a firmware update to be able to control the volume of the rears and further updates have been released to resolve issues that people have raised in the forums like ARC issues.

There was also many complaints including myself where the system would just shutdown after 20 minutes and if you had CEC enabled your TV would switch off as well but Bose just released a fix to control Auto Off feature as 20 minutes was how it was.

Here's the setting on my phone app which allows the volume control for the rears and the advanced settings to disable auto power off.

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	221345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	221344

But damn if I experienced your issues bro I don't blame you for taking them back. Hopefully you get something that works for you though.
    Last edited by Kidona; 31st March 2018 at 5:37 pm.