Page 1 of 47 123411 ... Last

1. Post

Your latest AV Related Purchase

What have you guys been throwing money at?

I just pulled the trigger on a near new set of Audeze LCD2 R2 headphones. Previous owner purchased them in late January 2013 and he recently encountered a driver problem which was rectified by sending them in to Audeze. They replaced the drivers and included a new frequency response chart. I saved just under $1000 by buying them through the head-fi BST rather than grabbing them from the NZ supplier.

I've grown used to neutral -> bright headphones so it's going to be interesting trying a dark set of cans. I'll be driving them via Odac -> Little Dot MKIII amp for now. If I really enjoy them then I'll consider shelling out on a better suited dac/amp setup. I don't feel overly comfortable spending so much money on a set of headphones that I've never tried but I've been oggling these for ages now so I just thought f**k it. They've just departed Singapore. I let you guys know my first impressions once I've had a decent listen.

The apparent wear on the left hand piece of rosewood is actually just the lighting/reflections.

2. Post
    Nice!

I've had my LCD-2 rev3's (which yours are as well judging by the angled connectors, r2's still had straight ones afaik) for a couple months now. Absolutely love their sound but damn, the clamp is very tight.

As for my latest audio related purchase, I just picked up a Burson Soloist a week ago. Pairs up pretty nicely with the LCD-2's, not as lush as my Ember or as bass slamming as my Mini-X but definitely a step in terms of imaging. Sadly all my gear is currently being shipped overseas (relocating) so all I have for now is my RE-400's and 4.Ai's... first world problems...

Attached Images

3. Post
    So jealous ^

I'm waiting for my "at the office" setup of AKG K702s and Magni/Modi stack to arrive from the states (come on Youshop, its been "on its way to NZ" for 11 days now... at $130 shipping I expect better).

My home setup is a bit neglected these days too =(

4. Post
    Nice one ninjapirate! The vegan material goes really well with the bamboo. What cable are you using there? I've had my eye on the Solist before .Where did you buy it from? Thanks to you I've been researching solid state amps for the LCDs for the past couple of hours. Something tells me that my wallet is going to take another hit some time in the near future.

Privoxy wrote:
    Magni/Modi stack
    Sweet

What are you rocking at home man?

5. Post
    Monolith NZ wrote:
    Nice one ninjapirate! The vegan material goes really well with the bamboo. What cable are you using there? I've had my eye on the Solist before .Where did you buy it from? Thanks to you I've been researching solid state amps for the LCDs for the past couple of hours. Something tells me that my wallet is going to take another hit some time in the near future.
    Thanks, yeah the vegan/velour material is really nice. I actually use the same pads on my HE-500 as well (vastly improves the comfort).

The cables I'm using are from Artemiscables (eBay seller in the US), I've dealt with him a couple of times now and he's not bad. Cables are decent quality and the braid is done well. I think the cost was around $150USD + shipping (I was living in the US at the time).

I purchased the Soloist from Amazon (again I was living in the US at the time) for $899USD. It's a very competent amp from what limited amount of time I've spent with it. I'd definitely recommend it if you have money to burn (my opinion is that it's always better to spend more money on headphones than any other part of your setup). Cheaper options are the Emotiva Mini-X A-100 (a speaker amp so you'd have to get some cables for it) which put's out more bass impact on the LCD-2 than any other amp I've tried, or the Schiit Lyr (needs good tubes) which also pairs up pretty nicely with the LCD's.

6. Post
    clunge have the soloist http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=19907

I'm jelly, been eyeing up lcd2's for aaaaaages but never wanted to risk paying that much for something I can't trial easily in Wellington

7. Post
    Cheers for the recommendations. At one stage I was considering grabbing a lyr for my DT880s but I ended up going for the MKIII instead. I was reading earlier today that the Lyr works well with the LCD2s. It does look nice but at the moment I'm more interested in grabbing a solid state amp as I think it would be a more future proof buy.

Right now I'm looking at the Burson and the Schiit Mjolnir. They both sound like pretty good choices

8. Post
    I have all of the above (for sale - sorry!) own some of it though :P

9. Post

10. Post
    Here I am being a peasant with my e10 and m50's.

Looking to upgrade to some AD900's soon though

11. Post
    raab wrote:
    I'm jelly, been eyeing up lcd2's for aaaaaages but never wanted to risk paying that much for something I can't trial easily in Wellington
    Go try the STAX electrostatic headphones at soundline, absolutely blew my mind.

12. Post
    Grado PS500's and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus - love them owned for 8 months now .. would buy again..

13. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Here I am being a peasant with my e10 and m50's.

Looking to upgrade to some AD900's soon though
    I found for bass the M50 and 900's are the same but the 900's do high and mid a bit better. Unless you are super picky you might not notice a difference...although the silly wing head rest on the AD series is crazy comfortable, after about 15 mins i cant feel that im wearing anything on my head.

14. Post
    nile wrote:
    Go try the STAX electrostatic headphones at soundline, absolutely blew my mind.
    Damn. I'd love to sample some STAX gear.

Sooo after many hours of reading and an ongoing conversation with Billy from CL, I have decided upon the Woo Audio WA7 to drive my LCD2s and DT880s. I really like the idea of having everything in one small, clean unit. I can see myself purchasing more headphones at some stage so I think buying a product capable of driving pretty much any headphone I'm likely to purchase is a friendly choice for my wallet in the long term.

15. Post
    They are awesome units

16. Post
    Now to sell my MKIII and ODac

17. Post
    My turn to contribute

Need betta liiiggghtt gahh

18. Post
    You lot are sure in to your headphones, Where is all the Home theatre bling??

19. Post
    Post yours!

20. Post
    My phone camera is really rubbish, but I bought a Yulong U100 fairly recently and I'm really pleased with it, decent price and very good quality from a chinese brand.

Someone else's picture;

21. Post
    Bought Fidelio X1's a few months back:

Sound pretty great.

22. Post
    Holy crap Revo!

Last thing I bought was a 40" Samsung Series 5 LED TV for $650 @ the Noel Leeming sale.

23. Post
    Pulled the trigger on some Audeze LCD2's with vegan pads/head and Soloist AMP

24. Post
    raab wrote:
    Pulled the trigger on some Audeze LCD2's with vegan pads/head and Soloist AMP
    You guys have too much money !

25. Post
    Money>Sense

My partner would flip if she knew how much I dropped through clounge today