1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    this is ****in awesome news, i have a couple friends who are pioneering the degrees in MDS, would be awesome to see some big title game with NZ themes in it later down the line

3. Post
    So there's Path of Exile... and whole bunch of mobile and licensed shovelware. I feel such KIWI PRIDE RIGHT NOW!!!!!111

4. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    So there's Path of Exile... and whole bunch of mobile and licensed shovelware. I feel such KIWI PRIDE RIGHT NOW!!!!!111
    gotta start somewhere

5. Post
    A satellite studio of a large French corporation making licensed shovelware under sweatshop conditions is not a good start (Gameloft).

6. Post
    This makes me happy. GGG proves what can be done with limited resources, and Pik Pok are thriving in an over saturated market. These are both things to be applauded.

7. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    A satellite studio of a large French corporation making licensed shovelware under sweatshop conditions is not a good start (Gameloft).
    The Dept. of Labour investigated that and didn't find anything to back up the accusations, if I remember correctly. There was a segment on Seven Sharp (you can watch it on TVNZ On Demand, starts about 10 minutes in) about GameLoft last night. They've got a pool table, table tennis, arcade machines etc, so doesn't look like a sweatshop to me. Do they work long hours during crunch? Probably. They're also one of many studios doing stuff and aren't indicative of the rest.

That said, I'm not really inclined to work for them when I finish my degree (3rd year BSE student at MDS). GGG is about the only studio I'm interested in working for, as I don't play mobile games so I don't really care to develop them, and GGG is about the only studio in Auckland (I'd like to stay in Auckland) that isn't doing mobile.

8. Post
    Soan wrote:
    The Dept. of Labour investigated that and didn't find anything to back up the accusations, if I remember correctly. There was a segment on Seven Sharp (you can watch it on TVNZ On Demand, starts about 10 minutes in) about GameLoft last night. They've got a pool table, table tennis, arcade machines etc, so doesn't look like a sweatshop to me. Do they work long hours during crunch? Probably. They're also one of many studios doing stuff and aren't indicative of the rest.

That said, I'm not really inclined to work for them when I finish my degree (3rd year BSE student at MDS). GGG is about the only studio I'm interested in working for, as I don't play mobile games so I don't really care to develop them, and GGG is about the only studio in Auckland (I'd like to stay in Auckland) that isn't doing mobile.
    Don't knock mobile development till you've tried it.
    Its getting closer and closer to console titles in terms of production value, and Gameloft is a solid company to work for....uh...I've heard.

9. Post
    darc9999 wrote:
    gotta start somewhere
    started from the bottom now we here