BigPipe Broadband

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)

1. Post
    on the subject of modems...

We have a few triallists using the Draytek 130, which costs around $150 and it seems pretty decent

http://www.priceme.co.nz/DrayTek-DV1...888302170.aspx

We've also got a few people using the Telecom Ultra modem, which isn't 'top spec' but works fine for the majority of stuff. Again, it's about $150 (it also does UFB for when/if you eventually upgrade)
    Last edited by BigPipeNZ; 19th December 2013 at 2:27 pm. Reason: modem info

2. Post
    After seeing two failing drayteks in a row and the problems with the firmware in the past, im inclined to suggest the Zyxel P870 is a superior option at this stage.

3. Post
    Having abit of trouble setting up a pppoe passthrough from a draytek 130 to an asus rt-n16 router running tomato.
    Any thing i'm missing?

4. Post
    Tandarra wrote:
    Having abit of trouble setting up a pppoe passthrough from a draytek 130 to an asus rt-n16 router running tomato.
    Any thing i'm missing?

Is the connection itself working fine? (i.e. if you don't set it up as passthrough, does it connect properly to the internet?)

the username and password can have anything you like in them, but they can't be blank. It looks like on the Draytek the username is blank, so I'm wondering if that is the cause of the problem, or if that is just the way it is displayed on the draytek.

5. Post
    Check this thread on Geezone, http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=128773

You had/have to get a beta firmware from Snappernet to get bridge mode working on the Draytek

6. Post
    defiant wrote:
    Check this thread on Geezone, http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=128773

You had/have to get a beta firmware from Snappernet to get bridge mode working on the Draytek
    Cheers ill go check it out.

BigPipeNZ wrote:
    Is the connection itself working fine? (i.e. if you don't set it up as passthrough, does it connect properly to the internet?)

the username and password can have anything you like in them, but they can't be blank. It looks like on the Draytek the username is blank, so I'm wondering if that is the cause of the problem, or if that is just the way it is displayed on the draytek.
    yes connection is working fine without trying to set up the passthrough, i had tried leaving it blank and also filling it in to get it working

7. Post
    I could've sworn tehyitz wrote something here last night..

Goes something like 0/100 not 0/110, vc mux not llc
    , leave service name blank on tomato router

8. Post
    BigPipeNZ wrote:
    We've got some cool secret plans on how we manage the network that I can't discuss, but can only encourage you to give us a go.
    Red flag right there.

9. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Red flag right there.
    what do you mean?

I don't want to give away exactly what we may, or may not, do at this point. We have some plans, but nothing yet set in stone, so anything I say might not even happen.

Rest assured we want to make the experience of using Bigpipe as great as possible for everyone.

That's one reason why we don't require long term contracts. Locking people into contracts mean the ISP can get away with providing a not-so-good experience because they know the customer is going to stay with them for 12 months at least, whereas having no contract keeps us on our toes to provide the best experience possible right from day 1.

Our customers can leave anytime with no penalty (we don't even require 30 days notice) - it's the best incentive for us to provide great broadband.

ETA: part of the trial also involves people giving us feedback on what sorts of things they would like to see (or not see) on bigpipe - so if you have any suggestions I'm happy to discuss them. What, specifically, about the idea of network management raises a 'red flag' for you?

10. Post
    I'm assuming hes meaning the typical 'we don't shape traffic' when its plainly obvious that is whats happening.

11. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    I'm assuming hes meaning the typical 'we don't shape traffic' when its plainly obvious that is whats happening.
    Ok. We aren't doing that.

12. Post
    That's what they all say. Which is exactly his problem lol.

13. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    That's what they all say. Which is exactly his problem lol.
    Well I'd be very interested to hear feedback from people on how they would prefer the network to be managed - what sorts of things they would like to see implemented - e.g. steam cache, P2P cache, Netflix cache (not saying we can or will do those necessarily, just some examples)

Ultimately, we just want to give a good experience - doing something that pisses our customers off would be pointless - they would just leave.

14. Post
    What I want from my ISP:

high-priority tunneling to certain overseas locations for gaming
    Proxy me @ ISP level for hassle-free netflix/other services

These things I would even accept as monetised addons.

15. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    What I want from my ISP:

high-priority tunneling to certain overseas locations for gaming
    Proxy me @ ISP level for hassle-free netflix/other services

These things I would even accept as monetised addons.
    Thanks for the ideas. Which specific games would you want to be playing? DotA/SC2/WoW? something else?

16. Post
    i'd like to see free /29 subnets like overseas have. just ask for it and get it.

/48 for ipv6 too, static of course, with ability to set reverse dns either through delegation or web ui, or preferably both.

17. Post
    mercutio wrote:
    i'd like to see free /29 subnets like overseas have. just ask for it and get it.
    I doubt that will ever happen... last I read, they (Bigpipe) were using CGNAT.

18. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Red flag right there.
    They also use CG-NAT by default, you can request a public ip address which is currently free but they may charge for down the line....

See:
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...ge_no=1#976510

19. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    I doubt that will ever happen... last I read, they (Bigpipe) were using CGNAT.
    Ragnor wrote:
    They also use CG-NAT by default, you can request a public ip address which is currently free but they may charge for down the line....

See:
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...ge_no=1#976510
    correct, We're using CGNAT due to shortage of IPv4. Seems likely that most (or maybe all) ISPs will have to move to CG-NAT at some point in the near future.

Public IP is free, you just need to request one, and whilst we may choose to charge for it in the future, I don't think it is very likely based on the volumes of people requesting it so far.

We aren't offering static IP at this point, but will look to implement it when we start using IPv6, or maybe before if enough people demand it.

20. Post
    what phone company you guys go with to use alongside bigpipe?whats the cheapest phone (landline) only provider?

21. Post
    El Hombre wrote:
    what phone company you guys go with to use alongside bigpipe?whats the cheapest phone (landline) only provider?
    you can't have a landline with Bigpipe - we're naked DSL only.

You can use VOIP of course, like 2Talk (but you may need a public IP to get it working, which we can provide) or just rely on your mobile for voice.

That's what I do. Hundreds of minutes on my mobile plan so I have no need for a landline, whether VOIP or otherwise, and I just use Skype for international calls, which is free.

22. Post
    wait, so we can't have landline WITH ANOTHER COMPANY? can I use the same phone number for voip?

23. Post
    Tandarra wrote:
    Any thing i'm missing?

[Images]

Get rid of the 'Service name' on the RT-N16.

24. Post
    El Hombre wrote:
    wait, so we can't have landline WITH ANOTHER COMPANY? can I use the same phone number for voip?
    EDIT: Looks like this shouldn't be an issue with BigPipe if they handle the DSL move as mentioned in the post below.

You should be able to port the number, but it's not really a simple task when the internet provider isn't also providing the VoIP service.

Why? If what I've picked up from here and on Geekzone: if the number of ported before the DSL, your landline may be disconnected (which would also cancel your DSL), and if the DSL is ported first, you risk losing the phone number.
    Last edited by saajiik; 31st January 2014 at 7:30 pm.

25. Post
    El Hombre wrote:
    correct on both counts.

If you want to switch to Bigpipe for broadband, and someone else for VOIP, we can do that.

Just let us know that is what you want to do and we will shift the broadband but leave the landline connected.
    Then you can sort out your number port to whoever you want to use for VOIP and that gets done totally separately to the broadband.

so in theory you could do it that way and then not port to VOIP and just keep your landline, and we would be none the wiser, but it would really be terrible value for money so I don't recommend doing it. paying for separate broadband and landline.
    Our unlimited naked ADSL is $79 and a 'normal' landline will cost you around $50 from Telecom or whoever,

A VOIP line, by comparison, will only be around $10, and probably give you much better call rates.