BigPipe Broadband

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Page 1 of 106 12341151101 ... Last

1. Post
    Confirmed: In 2013 Telecom Digital Ventures (now Spark Ventures) launches naked broadband with no data caps

Full speed ADSL2+ $79
    VDSL $89
    UFB from $79

Connection fee applies.
    Be sure to look out for the latest joining offers.

More information at:
    http://bigpipe.co.nz/
    Last edited by tehyitz; 13th March 2016 at 7:17 pm.

2. Post
    Code:
    registrant_contact_name: Wellington Harbour Holdings Limited
    registrant_contact_address1: PO Box 949
    registrant_contact_city: Wellington
    registrant_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    registrant_contact_phone: +64 4 473 8278
    registrant_contact_email: dns@ajpark.com
    http://www.business.govt.nz/companie...panies/1210872

Nope, not Telecom.

However given the directors are all partners in AJ Park I'd doubt they are a fly by night operation.

3. Post
    Or AJ Park just publicly represent whoever is behind it?

4. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    Or AJ Park just publicly represent whoever is behind it?
    They often register domains for clients. However given the directors of Wellington Harbour Holdings are actually partners in AJ Park would suggest that this company isn't some guy trying to make a quick buck. If they were representing a client the directors wouldn't be AJ Park partners.

5. Post
    anyone joined with big pipe definatly keen for vdsl

6. Post
    voy1dnz wrote:
    They often register domains for clients. However given the directors of Wellington Harbour Holdings are actually partners in AJ Park would suggest that this company isn't some guy trying to make a quick buck. If they were representing a client the directors wouldn't be AJ Park partners.
    yes they would, it's a very common way of hiding who the real directors/shareholders are.

7. Post
    As i understand it they are a group related to telecom - pretty sure they are part of the telecom new ventures group
    Chaos, Disorder, Mayhem .... My work here is done

8. Post
    Hmmm if it is it's well hidden. Hosted on AWS too it seems.

Will be interesting to see what the IP pools are - that's something that'd be more expensive for them to buy a new allocation of these days.

9. Post
    Imagine if they had launched this 10 years ago... though I guess now that the fixed broadband market is saturated it can't hurt to try new things out.

10. Post
    There's nothing about those deals that really makes me want to register, as a person who rarely uses > 150GB a month

11. Post
    Should mention the plans have
    - no connection fee
    - no contract term
    - BYO modem

In terms of VDSL this is a first.
    For ADSL2+, it competes with Compass' prepaid offering.

12. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    There's nothing about those deals that really makes me want to register, as a person who rarely uses > 150GB a month

But if you're like -PH33R- then they are absolutely perfect

13. Post
    My sources say this is another Telecom thing

14. Post
    Hmmm, $85 on Snap for ADSL1 (my current option) or switch to this. Definitely keen. Last chance to get out your retention team, Snap!

15. Post
    BYO modem for VDSL? Aren't all the half-decent models a few hundred dollars?

16. Post
    ^ yep - and once you amortize it over 12/24 months big pipe doesn't look so cheap anymore...

17. Post
    You reckon Slingshot will be giving away VDSL modems on a 12 month? Doubt it.
    Telecom do 150GB VDSL for $100/month for 12 months including modem
    Snap... $499 early termination....
    ... why do you need anything more expensive than the cheapest VDSL modem anyway i.e. those sub$200?

Agree you would need to use >150 GB for VDSL and probably ADSL2+ as well for it to be worthwhile.

18. Post
    Bt wrote:
    My sources say this is another Telecom thing
    It is paid for by Telecom, but its as seperate as Skinny is. It's its own ISP, with its own core network, systems, staff, etc...

19. Post
    tehyitz wrote:
    You reckon Slingshot will be giving away VDSL modems on a 12 month? Doubt it.
    They're supposedly charging $35 ($20 + $15 postage) for them on a 12 month contract.

tehyitz wrote:
    ... why do you need anything more expensive than the cheapest VDSL modem anyway i.e. those sub$200?

Agree you would need to use >150 GB for VDSL and probably ADSL2+ as well for it to be worthwhile.
    From what I've read around here and on Geekzone it sounded like the cheaper modems aren't very good.

20. Post
    The ZyXEL Prestige is just fine

21. Post
    Looks promising but I did want to make the move to fibre sooner rather than later.

22. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    ^ yep - and once you amortize it over 12/24 months big pipe doesn't look so cheap anymore...
    Might work for those already with modems and out of contract from other providers

23. Post
    In their geekzone threads I asked roughly what there traffic management plan/policy is.

It appears they don't have a plan, so to me it looks like the same old naive Go Large / Big Time approach....

/yawn

24. Post
    Difference between golarge/bigtime and this might be dependent on the bandwidth pool. Those plans had a fairly low contention ratio in their bandwidth pools, so everyone got horrible throughput. It might be different this time.