How to make an Amazon Digital purchase.

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

1. Post

How to make an Amazon Digital purchase.

With the new Amazon PlayStation Digital store front that has opened to coincide with the NA launch of Sonyís new PS4, the ability for us downunder to DL cheap digital titles easily has arrived. Granted, it wasnít much more difficult with the PlayStation 3, but now that we arenít tied to wallet funding, convenience has improved.

The purchase is done in 2 Steps, basically purchase the game code from amazon.com; and then redeem the code in a US PSN account. Simple.

Reasoning behind having to do it this way: The PlayStation network has various regions around the globe, and depending on (presumably) local publisher price demands have different prices in each of the territories. In order to protect these markets, Sony has regionally priced these stores, but more importantly, they have region locked credit card payments for these storefronts. So simply, you canít pay for goods on the US store using your NZ Credit/Debit card or NZ Paypal account (topped up using NZ CC etc). Thankfully the stores arenít IP locked though.

What this means, is that if you want to purchase a game from the US PSN store you need to set up a US account and purchase either a game code (from Amazon), or US wallet funds from Amazon (or Ebay) or wherever you can find cheap wallet funds at the time. I personally prefer the game code method, as it means I donít have to buy wallet funds then have Ďchangeí left over. Unfortunately the game code might not always be available. As the service matures (Amazon PS Digital) this will improve.

Now whilst the PlayStation 4 is region unlocked for games (you can play any game from any country on any console from anywhere in the world) ALL digital content is region locked to the digital contentís originating store. It covers ALL digital content too, so that is DLC, PS+, and digitally purchased titles for example. So simply, if you buy a digital game from Amazon US, you need to redeem this game on a US PSN account, all DLC purchased for this game needs to be purchased from the US PS Store. If you buy a disc copy of a game from Amazon US (a collectorís edition for example) any DLC for that game needs to be purchased/redeemed on a US PSN account. A PS+ sub from Amazon US is region specific to the US Store only. At this point I should mention, that ANY user on the PlayStation 4 this content is redeemed on has full access to the content, this includes but not limited to, playing the game in singleplayer, or even certain benefits from a PS+ membership such as online multiplayer. So if like me you donít want to get rid of 8 years worth of gaming history on your NZ account youíre covered.

So without further ado, letís begin.

First open in your browser (if required) these three links:
    Youshop
    Set up PSN Account
    Amazon sign up

Hmm very strange. It seems my link for setting up the PSN ID isn't working at the moment.

Follow this link here: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...ystation-store click 'Create Account' button on the top right of the screen.

Here is a really helpful hint regarding email account set up given by mr2bot. When needing multiple email accounts (to access different PSN store fronts for example) use Gmail. Gmail allows an account user to insert random '.'s in to the users email user name to give the impression of being a unique address and then forwards on these 'new account' emails to the original base account.
    For example; lets say you set up an email in Gmail: gpforumboy123@gmail.com, you could then sign up to 5 PSN accounts using the emails below and the emails would all end up at gpforumboy123@gmail.com.
    1. g.pforumboy123@gmail.com (NZ)
    2. gp.forumboy123@gmail.com (US)
    3. gpf.orumboy123@gmail.com (UK)
    4. gpfo.rumboy123@gmail.com (JP)
    5. gpfor.umboy123@gmail.com (HK)
    .. and so on as required.

However, it doesn't work if you put 2 '.'s side by side, ie gp..forumboy123@gmail.com.

Back on topic, with the three tabs open, go through and fill them out, I would start with the Youshop one first. This will then give you a US address. This US address is needed to purchase Digital Content through Amazon. This Digital Content cannot be purchased by an international address!

Now that you have your US address, go to Amazon and sign up there. Once you have set up your Amazon account, go in to My Account, and enter your Youshop address. It is worth noting, that you donít have to have a Youshop address for this part, any made up US address will work. However, any physical purchase (collectors editions for example) later on will possibly get sent there, so best to play it safe!

Now that you have your Amazon account set up, go here http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Ne...ode=1289533011 and browse. Find the title you want and purchase it. This purchase, (unlike the US PSN store) can be made using your NZ Credit/Debit card, you donít need to use Paypal, although that is an option at Amazon. If you havenít entered a US address by now, you wonít be able to purchase it until you update your address with a US address in your address book. You will be able to tell, as the buy now button will be greyed out. After purchase you will be presented with a screen that will have your unique familiar 12 digit PSN code. You can print this page for later, or it will permanently be available in your Digital Game Library on Amazon.

Now that you have your code, it is worth noting this code IS region specific. You can ONLY use it on a US PSN account. So if you havenít already, sign up for a US PSN account. To keep consistency, just use the Youshop details again. Thankfully, Oregon (the state that the Youshop depot is in) is a Sales Tax Free state. So any purchase through PSN using funds sourced from Amazon will be tax free.

Now that you have your US PSN account set up; turn on your PS3 or PS4 (depending on title purchased of course) and log in using this new US account. At this point you can go to the PS Store and redeem code as per usual. Remember though, this title is a US title, so you will need to buy DLC for this title using the US account. So go to Amazon again and buy the DLC pack (if available) or wallet funds which are available in $10, $20, or $50 increments.

Congrats, youíve just saved a great big wedge of cash, for the sake of a few minutes set up time.

FAQ

Iím a Kiwi, I purchased my console in NZ, and I have an NZ PSN account, can I still buy from amazon?
    Short answer: Yes. The Amazon purchase is entirely different to your PSN account.

Can I play my US content on my NZ Console and profile?
    Yes. The console is region unlocked, you can play any game from any region. You just need to set your PS4 as the home console for the US account. Then any profile on that console can play that content. Online or offline. The one Ďexceptioní here so far is Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. It seems to play this game you need to set up your Sqaure Enix account to be the same as your store account. Iím not quite sure on this though TBH, Iíll update when I have more concrete info.

But I set my console as my home console for my NZ profile, does this mean I need to change that now?
    No. The console allows multiple profiles to set it as the home profile.

So does this mean I could do this for every region?
    Yes. You may need to be able to read the other regions text though, and you will probably need to buy currency for that region from another online retailer such as www.play-asia.com.

Now I have bought my game from Amazon, how do I play it?
    Set up your US PSN account, remember set the console as the home console. Otherwise you will only be able to play the content on your US account.

I just saw there is some DLC I want to buy, can I just use my NZ account?
    No. All DLC needs to be purchased using the store the base title was purchased from. IE US game needs US DLC.

Seems like a hassle TBH why should I bother?
    The price in USD is close to or the same as the Steam price on PC for a full price title. Basically youíll save (depending on title) approximately 30-50% compared to local sourced content. Youíll be able to purchase most games and season passes for less than the base game here. And in a lot of cases, youíll be playing days before it available here. The Lego Movie: The videogame for example was available in the US 2 months before NZ. Then there are the sales and promotions; spend $60 get $10 back type deals, or $1 flash sales for example.

Iím a trophy whore, will I still get those?
    Yes. All users on that home console get the benefit of the full title, including trophies.

Edit version 1.1 changelog: Added section as to why the purchase needs to be completed this way. Corrected some typo's and grammar.
    Edit version 2.0 changelog: Added FAQ covering bullet points. If you want anything else added, ask in the comments below.
    Edit version 2.1 changelog: Updated PSN account set due to seemingly broken link. Added helpful hit re email account set up.
    Last edited by Chickenman; 25th June 2014 at 12:29 pm. Reason: Updated PSN ID set up because the original link doesn't seem to work at the moment.

2. Post
    Hi mods,

Can this be stickied please?

This is draft one. When I have a bit more time I'll mess about with the formatting, and make it a bit clearer. Also please feel free to add anything I've missed in the comments, I'll update soon.

3. Post
    Good job! But this is not an English speaking forum.

4. Post
    GC

5. Post
    If you could translate to German that'd be mint!

6. Post
    Thank you kind sir.

7. Post
    OP updated to version 1.1

8. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    OP updated to version 1.1
    Will wait for version 1.2 to drop

9. Post
    great read up! thanks for putting in the effort to do this.

1 question - when setting up the US PSN, does this need to be a + subscription?

10. Post
    turning_point wrote:

no.

But you can buy US PSN+ 1 year sub from Amazon for $29 dollars.

11. Post
    turning_point wrote:

As Subculture said no, you don't need to set the new account up for PS+, it works fine without. I'll add this in to the next edit.

12. Post
    thanks a lot dude! too bad the $29 ps+ deal is gone but looking forward to purchasing other stuff through this method. you reckon cyber monday will bring through some more deals on different games or they just continue black friday specials?

[edit] is there a way to subscribe directly to the digital downloads area of amazon? would be nice to get notifications when they add new stuff or do deals on that particular category

13. Post
    mr2bot wrote:
    thanks a lot dude! too bad the $29 ps+ deal is gone but looking forward to purchasing other stuff through this method. you reckon cyber monday will bring through some more deals on different games or they just continue black friday specials?

[edit] is there a way to subscribe directly to the digital downloads area of amazon? would be nice to get notifications when they add new stuff or do deals on that particular category
    The games may change or go up to their original price.

The best price for PS4 at the moment is buying the PS3 digital copy then upgrading. Most of the PS4 full game specials went pretty fast and I don't think they would be beating their Black Friday deals.

14. Post
    Can the US versions of games (discs) be played online just as an NZ version would be able to?

15. Post
    Yup. No problem at all. Just remember you'll need DLC from the disc based games originating store.

16. Post
    One thing I'm not sure about, does the PS4 need to be linked as the primary console for the US account?

Mine is linked with my UK account, but I got Marvel Superheroes on Friday (From amazon), and set up a US account for it. However, it doesn't let me play when logged on with the UK one and when playing on the US account it keeps checking that its a valid copy of it.

Not that it really makes a difference, but just a bit inconvenient switching between accounts to play.

17. Post
    Sorry. I missed your post.

You can set multiple accounts to have the same Primary Console. Setting the console to be the primary console allows any user on that console to use the goods purchased 'on that console'. For example, I have set both my NZ and US accounts to use my one console as the primary. Now this means any purchase on the US account I can play with my regular NZ profile.

I hope that makes sense, I'll also add this in to the next edit.

18. Post
    Is the youshop account even necessary? I just use the Nike Headquaters in Oregon when making my PC/Steam digital purchases on Amazon.

Also, once I've entered my code in the US store, can I play the game on my NZ account? When I claim DLC stuff from a USA game for the PS3, I'm usually able to redeem the DLC in my NZ account as well as my US one. Is it the same process with games as it is DLC for the PS3?

19. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Is the youshop account even necessary? I just use the Nike Headquaters in Oregon when making my PC/Steam digital purchases on Amazon.

Also, once I've entered my code in the US store, can I play the game on my NZ account? When I claim DLC stuff from a USA game for the PS3, I'm usually able to redeem the DLC in my NZ account as well as my US one. Is it the same process with games as it is DLC for the PS3?
    YouShop not really needed unless you plan to make purchases from Amazon in the future and need the package forwarded to you.

You can play the game in any account but haven't tested the DLC code redeem.

20. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:

Chickenman wrote:
    It is worth noting, that you donít have to have a Youshop address for this part, any made up US address will work. However, any physical purchase (collectors editions for example) later on will possibly get sent there, so best to play it safe!
    Yeah I said as much in my OP it's just if you choose to make a physical purchase that won't ship to NZ, Nike HQ in OR will get it. Sony 1st party physical titles for example can't be shipped outside of the US by Amazon.

As long as the US account has your PS4 console set as the primary console, ANY account on that console can play it.

As for the DLC, I'll be honest haven't tried cross region redemption. I was always under the impression it didn't work. Definitely keen to know the answer to this though for future reference.

21. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Yeah I said as much in my OP it's just if you choose to make a physical purchase that won't ship to NZ, Nike HQ in OR will get it. Sony 1st party physical titles for example can't be shipped outside of the US by Amazon.

As long as the US account has your PS4 console set as the primary console, ANY account on that console can play it.

As for the DLC, I'll be honest haven't tried cross region redemption. I was always under the impression it didn't work. Definitely keen to know the answer to this though for future reference.
    Oops, didn't see that bit! As for DLC, cross region redemption seems to work fine for the PS3 for the EA / Sony online passes that I seem to get from USA games, all I have to do is chuck in the code in my USA account and switch back to the NZ one and I can play online on my NZ account. Thing is, I have a PS3 and not a PS4 so I'm wondering if cross region redemption works for full game codes as well as DLC packs.

22. Post
    Ahh.

See the thing is though, you're redeeming the code on the US account, the same region as your disc. Which is what I've said in my OP. I thought you'd tried and succeeded in redeeming the US code on your NZ account.

As for online, one user needs PS+, then all users on that console can go online. I'm assuming that they don't need to be the same region. I might try that this afternoon.

23. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Ahh.

See the thing is though, you're redeeming the code on the US account, the same region as your disc. Which is what I've said in my OP. I thought you'd tried and succeeded in redeeming the US code on your NZ account.

As for online, one user needs PS+, then all users on that console can go online. I'm assuming that they don't need to be the same region. I might try that this afternoon.
    I don't even have PS+ though (keep in mind I'm talking PS3 here, not PS4) and I can use the online pass code on my NZ account, I just need to enter it in on the US account first, switch back to my NZ account and I can play online as if I entered the code in my NZ account. I don't need the US account to play online at all after the code is redeemed.

I'm tempted to buy one of those $3US games and just see if the same theory can be applied to the digital store, I mean, it's just another code right? Should work the same. That way I could be able to keep trophies and whatnot on one account.

24. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    I don't even have PS+ though (keep in mind I'm talking PS3 here, not PS4) and I can use the online pass code on my NZ account, I just need to enter it in on the US account first, switch back to my NZ account and I can play online as if I entered the code in my NZ account. I don't need the US account to play online at all after the code is redeemed.

I'm tempted to buy one of those $3US games and just see if the same theory can be applied to the digital store, I mean, it's just another code right? Should work the same.
    I don't see it being a problem.

Being as PS3 doesn't need PS+ for MP, you're right that point is kinda redundant. I actually thought that any purchase on a PS3 (from any region) was fully playable by any user on that same console.

25. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:

I'm tempted to buy one of those $3US games and just see if the same theory can be applied to the digital store, I mean, it's just another code right? Should work the same. That way I could be able to keep trophies and whatnot on one account.
    Hey mate, did you try this? Did it work?

I want to use my US account to buy cheap games, then play them on my PAL account. This is possible, right?