The 4K fallacy: Why ultra-hi-def is pointless for Kiwis

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
Results 1 to 25 of 108

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    I feel like you can kinda remove all your points apart from the Math is Sexy part, lol. They're a bit redundant.

    You say it's pointless for Kiwis but I have a 100Mbps connection and an assload of storage, and I'm a kiwi, so that's a point.

    Should really be: The 4K fallacy: why ultra-hi-def sucks for everyone except people who play games 1 metre away from their screens

    I'd say a 40" 4K screen would be pretty ideal, and not pointless. actually.

  3. Post
    #3
    It's only pointless until Sky TV offer 4k content, which is unlikely at this point.
    We know console games won't either, they can barely manage 1080p, even the "next-gen" systems.

  4. Post
    #4
    4K is not pointless. Why would a true cinemaphile opt for a Blu-ray over a DVD? Because its higher resolution is closer to that of celluloid. The most common celluloid film used for feature length motion pictures is 35mm. The resolution of 35mm film is 4K. Being able to view a film at 4K HD resolution on your TV means UNCOMPROMISED CINEMA PERFECT QUALITY at home.

  5. Post
    #5
    The internet in the United States is nowhere near as good as you think. Trust me, I lived there. Yeah it's pretty good in NYC but move to the medium and smaller cities and it is no better than here. Most people there cannot get 20mbit connections either.

    And it's "maths" not "math" you philistine.

  6. Post
    #6
    As some one who has a 4Mbps connection I can't even stream HD content properly let alone 4k.

  7. Post
    #7
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    4K is not pointless. Why would a true cinemaphile opt for a Blu-ray over a DVD? Because its higher resolution is closer to that of celluloid. The most common celluloid film used for feature length motion pictures is 35mm. The resolution of 35mm film is 4K. Being able to view a film at 4K HD resolution on your TV means UNCOMPROMISED CINEMA PERFECT QUALITY at home.
    Way to jump on the hype wagon without understanding the actuality of the situation.

    4K may make a lot of sense with MASSIVE screens, were talking about cinema screens here, and home theatre set ups with screens exceeding 100inches.

    A side by side comparison of a 4k vs 1080p when both are running at the same frame rate and both are using the same contrast settings are identical when viewed from the recommended distance from the screen.

    Almost all 4k demos use "natural motion" or HFR with tweaked contrast levels in order to make it look dramatically different from the standard HD version.

    This isnt the DVD vs BR argument, the difference here in normal usage situations are basically zero despite what the marketing monkeys claim.

    Go view a 4K demo and make the store turn off all the artificial crap they use to market the screen and view it from the actual viewing distance not right next to the screen as they so love to so and then comment. The Sony store refused to do this for me twice before I got a weekend staff member to do it, and yeah, there is no additional compromise being made here when using 1080p.

  8. Post
    #8
    Skorky wrote:
    Should really be: The 4K fallacy: why ultra-hi-def sucks for everyone except people who play games 1 metre away from their screens

    I'd say a 40" 4K screen would be pretty ideal, and not pointless. actually.
    The article states it doesn't apply to PC gamers, and you're not going to be playing 4K console games on anything in the near future.

  9. Post
    #9
    I eagerly await a friend of dad's to buy a 4K TV, and then spend hundreds of dollars to get his VCR to plug into it, and then have a massive cry about how the TV manufacturer scammed him, cause his 3000 playthrough tape of smokey and the bandit still looks ****house

  10. Post
    #10
    This pointless TV technology should fix the problem with the other pointless TV technology -right?

    You would be able to get full HD 3D on it.

  11. Post
    #11
    cryocore wrote:
    4K may make a lot of sense with MASSIVE screens, were talking about cinema screens here, and home theatre set ups with screens exceeding 100inches.
    This is about the only reason I would get a 4k TV tbh. I can't see any reason for utilising 4k resolution on anything smaller than 80" screens unless it's a PC monitor.

  12. Post
    #12
    DW wrote:
    The article states it doesn't apply to PC gamers, and you're not going to be playing 4K console games on anything in the near future.
    Right, so, the title of the article should still kinda be renamed to "why ultra-hi-def sucks unless all of these things and also I'm gonna list some reasons why it might not be ideal for a portion of the population"

  13. Post
    #13
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    This is about the only reason I would get a 4k TV tbh. I can't see any reason for utilising 4k resolution on anything smaller than 80" screens unless it's a PC monitor.
    Yeah, except I ignore the 4K, 1080p bullsh*t when referring to PC monitors as TV tech is ALWAYS behind whats available for PC in 99 of cases. Hell the 1080p "revolution" caused the default 20-27 inch displays to decreasein resolution to 1080p from the 1920x1200, 2048x1152, or 2560x1440 resolutions that were the common resolutions for screens of that size.

  14. Post
    #14
    Skorky wrote:
    Right, so, the title of the article should still kinda be renamed to "why ultra-hi-def sucks unless all of these things and also I'm gonna list some reasons why it might not be ideal for a portion of the population"
    I would say "Why ultra hi def is pointless for kiwis (apart from a very small percentage of the population"). With no mainstream media capable of storing the movie, and internet caps severely restricting any reasonable chance of streaming 4K movies on a regular basis (provided they have the speed), it's not something many kiwis are going to be utilizing for quite some time, despite displays starting to come into the mainstream now.

  15. Post
    #15
    Skorky wrote:
    Right, so, the title of the article should still kinda be renamed to "why ultra-hi-def sucks unless all of these things and also I'm gonna list some reasons why it might not be ideal for a portion of the population"
    Well you're kind of being really pedantic about this, as 4K is mainly a TV technology, sure it's relevant to PC monitors but 4K TVs are whats being discussed here, and for that reason the article is correct.

  16. Post
    #16
    Yeah, I'm just doing my EvaUnit thing, and the broad statement in the title kinda irked me. And yeah, 4K TVs are what's being discussed, but a PC can be used to run movies/tv shows etc through a 4K TV, and like the article mentions, Netflix will be supporting 4K, so in reality it's a bit of an overhyped, overrated thing unfortunately rife with misinformation and dodgy advertising, but it's not pointless.

  17. Post
    #17
    My point being that unless you're explicitly talking about 4K resolutions for PC gaming then everything stated in the article is true. If you're talking about TV or Movies then 4K is pointless as my previous post states, and as there is zero chance of 4K gaming on any of the released consoles the percentage of people who will actually be taking advantage of this tech is the tiniest fraction of the population. Much less then 1% of HDTV consumers in my estimation.

    I'm not actually disagreeing with you just refining the point as it were. I can wear a pedant hat too, and it fits just fineif I do say so myself.

  18. Post
    #18
    Good article, I see even less reason to go 4K that there was to go 3D

    I'm still using a 40" 720p LCD and am waiting for a real reason to buy a 1080p telly. Maybe when there's more games for PS4 I'll feel that I finally need to upgrade, but it'll be to a bigger 1080p telly, not 3D or 4K

  19. Post
    #19
    While allot of things above may be correct, I look forward to sub-$1000 4k 60hz screens or above.

    I believe the Movie side of things will be hard to resolve while the gaming side will be easy. For PC at least, also consoles could have 4k games but the graphics would need to scale back allot to allow it, may look good, not sure yet. Some games are also very very simple and won't kill fps by going to 4k. (little big planet for example).

    Also if you can't see a pixel at 0.6mm then I feel sorry for your poor eye sight, I know there are people with good vision out there who agree with me. For those with poor eyes then the move to 4k isn't a good one (my folks both have poor eye sight).

  20. Post
    #20
    steam machines might lead the charge for lounge 4K gaming. If I dropped 18K on a telly, I'd probably spend a bit more to play some games on it

  21. Post
    #21
    If I dropped 18k on a telly, I would be a total idiot.

  22. Post
    #22
    lol what a pauper..

    (...says the guy still rocking a 6 year old 720p box)

  23. Post
    #23
    The price of 4K tv's has dropped substantially in the last 12 months. From memory they roll at about $7000 depending on size.

    I also realised 18 months ago the biggest hurdle initially would be content delivery.

    I even mentioned this on one of the new console announcement threads.

  24. Post
    #24
    Well some sell 4k screens for $1000-1500 mark right now, however I think all of them are 30hz at 4k and 120hz at 1k resolutions which is no good for motion. Waiting until the 60hz ones come down, may not happen until HDMI 2.0

  25. Post
    #25
    Wow you plebs pay heaps for 4K... No wonder you're having a whinge about it.

    Anyway the big giants are moving to making it industry standard and full saturation of the market is not expected for another 7 years so NZ has lots of time to play internet catch up.

    Just look at how NZ internet speeds have increased over a short period of time and you will see it will be useful in the near future.... I personally wouldn't buy until they have released the next gen BluRay drives if you like your cinema.