1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Solid effort, and 1k isn't really much to ask. Backed

3. Post
    I'm in.

4. Post
    Since no one actually uses Linux or a Mac to play games except imaginary fake people that dont really exist, and stretch goal 1 already has Ouya in it, why isnt Android in goal 1 as well?
    Id have expected phones to be much more of a sensible idea,

This makes more sense

Goal 1

Android
    Ouya (hell even forget this)
    Mobile iOS

Goal 2
    -The rest

ps: backed etc.

5. Post
    ^ maybe because it is easier to port to Linux and Mac then it is to develop for mobile devices where a completely different interface will be required.

6. Post
    Funded

7. Post
    Xbox 360 and PC as the base platforms suggest that he's using XNA and/or Monogame (3rd party reverse engineered XNA, mainly to support platforms beyond 360/XP/Vista/7).

8. Post
    Lord_Montgomery wrote:
    ^ maybe because it is easier to port to Linux and Mac then it is to develop for mobile devices where a completely different interface will be required.
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Xbox 360 and PC as the base platforms suggest that he's using XNA and/or Monogame (3rd party reverse engineered XNA, mainly to support platforms beyond 360/XP/Vista/7).
    Thanks for slaying my ignorance - i had assumed that platform similarities ([Ouya android and android android] and [Mac/mobile iOS]) would have would have been closer relations and thus easier/faster/less costlier rather then UI changes which again im assuming to be simple as this game appears simple. If it has more then WSAD so move and E to interact. Just seems odd that it is easier to port to an entire new OS i.e. linux, instead of tweaking the UI. But then i dont know anything, thanks for the reading material anyway

9. Post
    He might also be using Unity. Its got some funny per-platform lisencing, pay more for extra platforms etc, which could make sense if he has to purchase lisences for new platforms.

10. Post
    ^ Did not think of licences at all

11. Post
    I'm all for supporting my fellow kiwis. It looks like a cool take on the steam-punk style too. I glad he's looking at getting quality voice actors. I'm on the bandwagon

12. Post
    Hi All. I'm Philip, the developer of 39 Days to Mars. Thanks for backing my project!

I thought I'd drop by and clarify your questions about the cross-platform aspects (although you've pretty much got it figured out).

Nakor wrote:
    ... stretch goal 1 already has Ouya in it, why isnt Android in goal 1 as well? Id have expected phones to be much more of a sensible idea
    Lord_Montgomery wrote:
    Yes, this is correct, and I'll expand on it with a few comments of my own.

39 Days to Mars is designed as a single-screen co-operative game. This works exceptionally well on consoles and computers with full sized screens, but is simply too small to be playable on a 4-inch cellphone screen. As Lord_Montgomery said, this requires a new interface. Unfortunately due to the nature of the game, this is deeper than just changing "WSAD" to touch controls - it requires a change in the way the level is displayed, including new layouts for the puzzles and most likely a switch to asynchonous same-device multiplayer.

Linux and MacOS are the first new platforms because this these are purely a technical challenge. With the release of Steam on Linux, it's also being used by more than just "imaginary people" . Ouya is a great intermediate platform, because it allows me to focus on the technical side of porting to Android without having to re-design everything at the same time. It may not be the biggest market, but because I have to go though this step anyway it makes sense to release on the platform.

We're still quite a ways from the next stretch goal, but the iPad (and Android tablets) are probably the devices I'm most looking forward to releasing 39 Days to Mars on. The direct physical interaction with the world should be great fun.

EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Yes, this is correct.

Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Backed
    $kud wrote:
    Funded
    Shigeruken wrote:
    I'm in.
    Nakor wrote:
    ps: backed etc.
    Barley wrote:
    I'm on the bandwagon
    Thank you!

Feel free to yell out or PM me if you have any other questions.

13. Post
    Congratulations to Philip for hitting his first stretch goal!

14. Post
    This game looks sweet, something different to the generically normally indie games on steam anyway.
    Backed.