Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Nah ewes boaf rong and hairs y see. Al dees resons n shiz wif Marios.
    FORK OFF! Ewes rong, and Is write. Eat a deck cant! Bioshock Infinite was balls deep in not doing shut that sez wood be in game!

2. Post
    PtP wrote:
    Press X to Elizabeth
    So very very true. How she was originally presented in the pre-release material looked awesome, what we got was under-cooked and dumbed down.

3. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    FORK OFF! Ewes rong, and Is write. Eat a deck cant! Bioshock Infinite was balls deep in not doing shut that sez wood be in game!
    Herp derp tipikl cryocore responz

4. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    So very very true. How she was originally presented in the pre-release material looked awesome, what we got was under-cooked and dumbed down.
    Totally agree with this. Such a shame she wasn't fleshed out more.

5. Post
    I thought she was better than every single character in all the Mass Effect games. They pretty much all felt like soulless emotionless husks to me.

6. Post

BioShock developer Irrational Games relinquishes IP, is "winding down"

But with Elizabeth, outside of cut scenes it was 'Booker catch' [press X to catch (insert required item here)] and that was pretty much it.

There could have been so much more done with her and her tears in particular. We needed more puzzles involving them, rather than the majority use which was supplying context required equipment (read ammo).

To be fair though, I haven't played it since my original 1999 play through which kinda broke me. I will have a look through again soon me thinks, probably at the same time the last DLC drops.

7. Post
    Thread is making yearn for Burial at Sea ep 2, though.

8. Post
    Soan wrote:
    I thought she was better than every single character in all the Mass Effect games. They pretty much all felt like soulless emotionless husks to me.
    This isnt an issue with the storytelling, but the simplistic and stripped back combat mechanic that she was. SO much less than what was initially promised and shown.

9. Post
    Yeah that's fair enough I guess. Didn't really see the initial stuff so I don't know what was initially shown. Which is part of the reason I don't generally pay attention to early stuff, because the final version never matches up, to either what was shown, or what people are expecting.

10. Post
    Agreed. I didn't see any of the earlier stuff either. I just felt there could have been so much more done. Take her use in combat for example; she could have opened a Tear to trap enemies in the other universe, perhaps dropped a Handyman off a non existent building in the other universe, maybe given Booker a skyline to flank the enemies. The options go on and on.

11. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Agreed. I didn't see any of the earlier stuff either. I just felt there could have been so much more done. Take her use in combat for example; she could have opened a Tear to trap enemies in the other universe, perhaps dropped a Handyman off a non existent building in the other universe, maybe given Booker a skyline to flank the enemies. The options go on and on.
    Those are EXACTLY the type of interaction and options that were demonstrated early on.

12. Post
    Oh **** really!!!!!

That makes me all kinds of sad. I now fully understand your disappointment in the game.

Sad face isn't sad enough

13. Post
    yeah, and that from the sounds of it is part of the reasoning for the change in direction. Things were considered "too" risky or complicated by 2K and required massive game changes or tweaking to game mechanics that they has designed for different purposes.

14. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    RIP 2K Marin, TBH. In retrospect the original vision for The Bureau looked awesome. We could've had a neato 1950's X-Files-esque paranormal investigation game, but the internet ruined it and what did we end up with instead? A soulless Mass Effect clone.
    I wanted the original, stupid whinging fans.
    Holy flying fridge blocks batman!

15. Post
    The thing is IF they had announced it AFTER XCOM-Enemy Unknown it would have gone down very very differently.

Remember they announced this after Syndicate, and with no indication of a new X-Com styled game on the horizon it really did just smack fans of the ip in the face. IT deserved EVERY ounce of hate it got, and its completely 2Ks fault.

16. Post
    Or just never used the name XCOM for it

17. Post
    Will miss Bioshock, was a good run and 2 epics games.

18. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    yeah, and that from the sounds of it is part of the reasoning for the change in direction. Things were considered "too" risky or complicated by 2K and required massive game changes or tweaking to game mechanics that they has designed for different purposes.
    Yeah knowing that I can totally see their point.

Fwiw I had a bit of a look at the gameplay reveals from development early in the piece. And yeah there were definitely glimpses of using environment Tears to add to the gunplay. That sort of use of them would have been a perfect use for Elizabeth.

19. Post
    Levine even talked about using tears as weapons. Open a tear put an enemy through. Close tear. How awesome would that have been, the possibilities that could be opened were huge. Dynamic battlefields man, think about it.

20. Post
    Yeah totally agree. Imagine if Tears were able to be used anywhere for this purpose, but at a cost. Elizabeth gets weaker the more you do it, meaning Booker needs to protect her, and she can't replenish ammo etc.

It would have made a totally different combat experience.

Today has been quite the eye opener for me, and I really must apologise to you (and Matt M) for not truly understanding your POV on this until now. I always respected your opinion on it, even if I didn't get it. I now do.

21. Post
    Or she could have just opened a tear during the first encounter with the siren and made the bitch dissapear forever and that would have made the game a masterpiece...

22. Post
    Infinite was definitely the more rounded and polished in the series. its a shame to hear this news but I can respect his decision.
    I should also add that while infinite was not a perfect game (if there is such a thing) it did leave a somewhat moving impression on me.

23. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Yeah totally agree. Imagine if Tears were able to be used anywhere for this purpose, but at a cost. Elizabeth gets weaker the more you do it, meaning Booker needs to protect her, and she can't replenish ammo etc.

It would have made a totally different combat experience.

Today has been quite the eye opener for me, and I really must apologise to you (and Matt M) for not truly understanding your POV on this until now. I always respected your opinion on it, even if I didn't get it. I now do.
    Bioshock for me has always been a bit of a sore spot. BS1 felt like a much prettier System Shock 2 only with many of the core mechanics removed. BS2 was an utterly pointless game with better core mechanics and a rubbish as **** story. Most people agree that it is by far the worst in the series, by a fairly wide margin, and BSI had a great core narrative, rubbish minute to minute gun play, and was for the most part not half as smart as it though it was. Combined with the cut mechanics and narrower scope its actually the most disappointing in the series for me despite being vastly superior to BS2.

Having said that I loved BS1, enjoyed BS2, and had a lot of fun, and more than a couple **** yeah moments.