Epic BBQ Index or, What to do now that you have a new Weber BBQ.

Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
(6 votes)

1. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    Then I'm not sure why you're getting so evangelical about it.
    I'm not evangelical at all - this is a reference thread, and I'm just disputing the universality of some of the statements made in it.

2. Post
    Yes, but science.

3. Post
    Right, I've updated the FAQ. I'm sure everyone can agree on whats there now.

4. Post
    Added a new visual guide to American Pork cuts. I can provide the same for Lamb and Beef if people want them

5. Post
    Get in quick, warehouse online gas weber OTS for 199, today only. Hit click madness.

6. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    Get in quick, warehouse online gas weber OTS for 199, today only. Hit click madness.
    Are these pretty good, tempted to buy are they any different to the one touch gold?

7. Post
    xKAWSx wrote:
    Are these pretty good, tempted to buy are they any different to the one touch gold?
    One touch gold has a fancier ash catcher and hinged grate, but otherwise is functionally identical. 199 is a reasonable price.

8. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    One touch gold has a fancier ash catcher and hinged grate, but otherwise is functionally identical. 199 is a reasonable price.
    OTS has hinges now m8

9. Post
    JC wrote:
    OTS has hinges now m8
    is the ash catcher worth to spend a little more on?

10. Post
    xKAWSx wrote:
    is the ash catcher worth to spend a little more on?
    Not for twice the price

11. Post
    JC wrote:
    OTS has hinges now m8
    Not the one the Warehouse is selling however.

The new version of the OTS is considerably better than this retail version as it comes with a ton of accessories exceeding the saving on this (provided you would purchase them individually).

(Hinge grate, coal baskets, cook book, bottom grate is the 'V' one and some roasting pans I think.

12. Post
    The gold isn't on sale at the warehouse but their price for it is still $100 below retail

13. Post
    the Hinge is also an accessory for the older ones, and can be purchased for about $60, im getting one for my weber soon.
    Last edited by Brennos; 16th November 2014 at 3:20 pm.

14. Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	als_rub_ribs_racked.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	210381

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tip_top_temp.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	210382

15. Post
    Anywhere in NZ (Chch preferably) to get good deals on a Weber? I see mentions of a silver model in this thread and elsewhere, but the current models don't seem to list silver/gold, so may have been revised? Also seems The Warehouse don't sell them anymore. Weber website lists a Weber Original Kettle with an RRP of $400: https://www.webernz.co.nz/barbecues/.../ranch-kettle/ Is this going to be my best bet or any other recommendations?

Edit: nevermind, found them on Mitre10 site and can see how silver/gold matches up with their official website.
    Last edited by DW; 1st August 2016 at 11:20 am.

16. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    Someone asked me: "I just got a new Weber, I'm totally new to BBQ, what do I do?" and I see this occasionally in the Adventures With A Weber BBQ thread. I started writing a few notes down for them, then I thought I'd just write something a little bigger that other people can refer to as well. Maybe it can get stickied. If you have a question I recommend heading over to the Adventures With A Weber BBQ thread as that sees alot of traffic.

DISCLAIMER: I'm by no means a pro. I learnt from all the other people on this forum so credit goes to them. This is mostly a collation of their knowledge. If you disagree with something I have written here or if you think something else should be added/removed just say so and I will do it. For the links at the end I just skimmed through the thread only looking at pictures, if I have overlooked something that may be of value let me know and I'll add it. This thread will forever be a work in progress

First off, and possibly most importantly, I would say: Don't be put off by a bad experience! I guarantee you that EVERYONE who has posted a picture of something awesome in the BBQ thread has had some epic fails along the way (I know I sure have) although only one person has been man enough to show it. Be sure to have some boxed pizzas in the freezer should things turn pear shaped and be willing to just laugh and chalk it up as a learning experience if something goes horribly wrong.

I'd recommend having a crack at the following (easiest to hardest):
    1) First fire it up and cook come cheap steaks. Steaks over coals and delicious. Thicker steaks are best.
    2) Grab some cheap sausages (though not those 'precooked' ones) and do them at the same time as the steak. But first bake the sausages 'indirectly' at a high heat (lid on) with some smoking wood chips on the coals. Then quickly finish them over the coals (lid off) to get some sweet grill marks on them. Sausages this way are awesome!
    3) Do a 'Hot Smoked Chicken'! These are forgiving and can take quite a bit of abuse. Setup the BBQ for indirect cooking, use a water pan. Light the coals, put the bird on, put the temperature probes in, chuck a hand full of smoking wood chips or chunks directly on the charcoals (do this as close as possible to closing the lid), then close the lid and crack a beer! Keep an eye on the temperature of the chicken and take it out when the thickest part has reached a safe temperature. Add more smoking wood chips at any point if you like. Some people like things heavily smoked, some like lightly smoked. You will soon figure out what's best for you. The chicken may take an hour or even up to two depending on how hot it is in there (aim for 180-250C range). Top and bottom vents can probably stay fully open for this cook.
    4) Maybe roast lamb/beef if you are keen on such stuff?
    5) Pulled pork ('slow and low' pork shoulder roast) is the easiest 'slow and low' cook.
    6) Ribs/Brisket/Turdukin? ... you're a BBQ pro by now!

The Equipment (the essentials at least):
    - Weber Kettle BBQ ... That is why you are reading this after all! 18.5" or 22.5"
    - Thermometers are almost as important as the BBQ itself (dual/multi- probe is best). Most people seem to be happy with the 'Maverick' brand ones.
    - A charcoal chimney starter is also key. You don't NEED one but you will soon realise that yeah, you do need one! The Weber brand one is best but the el cheapo ones work just as well (but tend to fall apart after 2 - 3 years).
    - Some sort of crappy steel tongs are good to move rouge charcoal around.

Vents:
    - Never close the top vent completely (unless you are shutting off the BBQ and want to extinguish the charcoal). Even if you are trying to keep the temperature really low you want the top vent at least halfway open. This is to prevent the build-up of bad chemicals and flavours on the food. Usually you can leave the top vent fully open and not worry about it at all.
    - Use the bottom vent to control temperature. Fully open is full temp obviously. It takes a while to get the hang of it but when I'm doing a low temp and shooting for about 100C oven temp I have the bottom vent about a quarter open.

Thermometers:
    - Never put a thermometer probe or wire directly over the charcoals, it WILL fry it!
    - To measure the oven temp poke one of the probes right through a potato cut in half... far enough through so the probe is well out the other side. Now sit this potato on the grilling grate.

Charcoal and Smoking Wood:
    - Never use 'Coal'! Always use 'charcoal'. There is a difference and some people do get confused.
    - "Charcoal Briquettes" will generally give you a slightly lower heat but will last longer, and the heat will be more stable. "Lump wood charcoal" will burn hotter, but you will go through it quicker. Some people say lump wood charcoal makes your food taste better.
    - You can reuse charcoal! when you are done cooking immediately close the top and bottom vents completely and put the lid on. Within a few hours the charcoal will be extinguished (I usually leave it overnight to let it cool as well). Shake the charcoal around a bit to remove the loose outer bits and then save what is left for your next cook!
    - If you are doing a hot cook (chicken, steak etc.) use more charcoal than you think you might need. Dump a chimney load of lit coals on there and add a few more unlit ones. Remember you can extinguish them once finished cooking and re-use them. Running out of heat before the food is cooked is disappointing and frustrating.
    - NEVER use the 'self lighting' briquettes, they will leave your food tasting like fuel. Alot of people here seem to use 'Heat Bead' Brand 'Charcoal Briquettes' available from Mitre10 or sometimes countdown. They come in a RED bag. The ones in the yellow bag are the self lighting ones and are not good.
    - It is fine to use fire lighters though.
    - When hot smoking use the biggest wood chips or chunks as possible, you will get a longer, steadier smoke.

Setup:
    - 'Indirect cooking' is when you cook with the lid on but not directly over the coals (i.e. a roast chicken). To do this bank all the charcoals up on one side of the BBQ and put the food on the upper grill on the OTHER side of the BBQ, as far away from the charcoal as possible. The best demonstration on how to setup your BBQ and cook a chicken using the indirect method is shown here.
    - 'Direct cooking' is cooking directly over the coals (steaks). It is good to only spread the charcoal over half the bottom grate so if some steaks are getting burnt you can move them to the other side away from the direct heat.
    - If roasting a chicken or doing a long slow cook you will want a water pan. (some kind of steel or disposable aluminium pan) Fill the pan with boiling water from the kettle after you have put it where it needs to be (opposite the charcoal, under the meat).

Cooking:
    - Try and lift the lid as seldom as possible as it will drop the temperature inside the BBQ. Yes you do need to check things every now and then (is there still water in the pan? is there enough fuel left? etc.)
    - I only use rubs for loooooong slow cooks / smokes. If you are just doing chicken at high heat use whatever you might use if roasting it in the oven, and if you are still not sure then salt + pepper + a good slathering of butter is plenty good enough!

Food Safety:
    - It should go without saying that you should take food safety seriously! Also that I take no responsibility for your food safety.
    - Having a digital thermometer not only guarantees good results on a charcoal BBQ but it can also guarantee food safety. If you haven't got one by now, go get one. Seriously.
    - Adding wood smoke to your cooks can add a pink smoke ring to meats (usually near the outside but it can penetrate a few centimeters) this is caused by "myoglobin in the meat reacting with nitric oxide to form the heat stable pigment nitrosohemochrome". So your hot smoked chicken or pork may be well cooked but still be pink on the inside! This is a good thing. Again, that thermometer will tell you when the meat is cooked, not the color of the meat itself.

Doneness guide (temps from AmazingRibs.com):
    Beef/lamb/venison
    - Blue (43-49C) - Dark purple-red, cool
    - Rare (49-54C) - Bright purple-red, warm
    - Medium Rare (54-57C) - Bright red, warm
    - Medium (57-63C) - Rich pink, yielding
    - Medium Well (63-68C) - Tan with slight pink, firm
    - Well (68C and above) - Tan to brown, no pink

Pork (legally, minimum should be 63C for pork)
    - Rare (49-54C) - Pale pink center
    - Medium Rare (54-57C) - Creamy pink colored
    - Medium (57-63C) - Cream colored, some pink, yielding
    - Medium Well (63-68C) - Cream colored, firm
    - Well (68C and above) - cream colored, tough

Chicken

- Minimum (74C) - Cream colored, slightly tender

Pork Ribs, Pork Shoulders, Beef Brisket

- High fat & collagen cuts best for low and long cooks (88-96C)

Guides & techniques:
    - Guide to Wood Types
    - Indirect Cooking on the Weber
    - Cleaning out the Weber after a cook (and saving coals)
    - Lighting Charcoal with a Chimney Starter
    - Snake Method
    - Snake Method with explanation
    - Snake Method again
    - The Weber Rotisserie
    - Cold Smoking with a Weber
    - Cold Smoking with a blowtorch
    - Minion Method shown on a Weber Smokey Mountain ... but also works on a Kettle.
    - Cooking at extreme temperatures over a Charcoal Chimney Starter

Awesome meals from GP, good inspiration:
    - Roast Chicken & Veg This is the best place to start if you just got your BBQ and want to cook a chook!
    - Epic Roast Chicken with Vegetables
    - Pulled Pork using 'Snake Method'
    - Roast Venison Rump and Veg
    - Peri Peri Chicken
    - Topside Roast
    - Lamb Rump
    - Rack of Lamb with Veg
    - Pizza on the Weber
    - Pulled Pork & Ribs
    - Pork Ribs & Chicken Wings
    - Burgers
    - EPIC BBQ Ribs
    - Spatchcock Chicken
    - Leg of Lamb
    - Whole leg of Ham
    - Another Whole Ham
    - Brisket Part 1 and Part 2
    - Burgers
    - Pork Loin
    - Peking Duck
    - Eye Fillet Beef
    - Pork Belly
    - Smoked fish

Awesome GP Posted Recipes:
    - Al Browns Spice Rub from the book 'Stoaked'
    - Asian Style BBQ Chicken
    - BBQ Rib Rub & BBQ Mop / Sauce
    - Refined Rib Rub & BBQ Sauce
    - Spatchcock Chicken with Piri Piri Sauce
    - Pork Rib Rub
    - How to make your own Bacon (bonus link cause it's awesome!)
    - Very Simple Pork Dry Rub

External Links:
    - Barbecue Class Excellent and current intro guide to BBQ at ChefSteps *NEW*
    - Wood Types for Smoking ... according to Weber
    - AmazingRibs.com and absolute gold mine of information! Can be overwhelming at times. Recipes, techniques, and reviews. American bassed so some conversions required.
    - TheSmokeHouse.co.nz A good place to buy large wood chunks, spice rubs, BBQ accessories and more.
    - BBQ Pork Shoulder ChefSteps style recipe
    - Pork Rib Rub ChefSteps style recipe
    OMG roll on summer

17. Post
    annavrpo wrote:
    OMG roll on summer
    no need to quote the entire post... also, bbq is all year round.

18. Post
    Any better options than the warehouse for a weber at the moment? They have the premium for 400 which seems about what everyone else charges for the non premium which makes it a bit of a no brainier I reckon. Anyone got one with the Gourmet Barbecue System Grill removable centre doohickey?

19. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Any better options than the warehouse for a weber at the moment? They have the premium for 400 which seems about what everyone else charges for the non premium which makes it a bit of a no brainier I reckon. Anyone got one with the Gourmet Barbecue System Grill removable centre doohickey?
    How about this? https://www.containerdoor.com/nz/pro...rcoal-kettle-2

20. Post
    Looks decent if you can wait for estimated Arrival 20th December

21. Post
    Don't get the one with the removable centre. I have it and it's kinda dumb in comparison to the regular premium.

22. Post
    Yeah I dunno if I can hold off until the 20th will have a contemplate

Gordy wrote:
    Don't get the one with the removable centre. I have it and it's kinda dumb in comparison to the regular premium.
    Cool thanks, I've been leaning towards it not being super useful but that settles it

23. Post
    I've got the grates with the removable center, it's a pain in the arse to clean

24. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Yeah I dunno if I can hold off until the 20th will have a contemplate

Cool thanks, I've been leaning towards it not being super useful but that settles it
    The grill is a lot thicker too which is actually awful, everything sticks to it. I like to have very minimal interference between the food and the coals.

I'm actually looking at making a prototype insert for the weber so you can cook kebabs properly like a robata style grill with flat food skewers.

25. Post
    Sweet, picked up a 22inch premium at the warehouse for 320 at the moment. Now time for more reading