1. Post
    DIL and SOM seem like safe bets. I do some work with Scales and I can't say I'm convinced they have much to offer. There is a major merge of Whakatu Coldstores and Polar cold (both scales owned) which may help with speculation but i'm not sure I would put any money on them.

2. Post
    UniformTurtle wrote:
    DIL and SOM seem like safe bets. I do some work with Scales and I can't say I'm convinced they have much to offer. There is a major merge of Whakatu Coldstores and Polar cold (both scales owned) which may help with speculation but i'm not sure I would put any money on them.
    i don't even know what scales do, what do they do?

- ok they make and transport food

3. Post
    I rejigged by investments over the last week.

+ HNZ
    + DIL

- WYN

23% gain on funds invested excluding divs from AIR and GNE

4. Post
    ne0 wrote:
    I rejigged by investments over the last week.

+ HNZ
    + DIL

- WYN

23% gain on funds invested excluding divs from AIR and GNE
    Noice. I have Gen at +46% or whatever it is but on the other side of the coin I also have Xero..

and hallenstiens + warehouse are sitting there doing nothing

5. Post
    Has anyone signed up for a trial with the Robin Hood application that purports to be zero commission trading?

6. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    Noice. I have Gen at +46% or whatever it is but on the other side of the coin I also have Xero..

and hallenstiens + warehouse are sitting there doing nothing
    GNE nice - did you get many at the IPO? I'm sitting around 15% due to additional top ups just after the IPO and after the election.

I'm too heavy in GNE at the moment but can't do much as I'll lose the bonus shares.

7. Post
    Popin wrote:
    Whatever happened to dem graphite mining companies? Anyone still follow them?
    Got rid of my remaining TON during that JORC announcement. Others got sold off at the trigger of stop-loss.

Looking to re-enter into TON and just sit on it for a few years as it targets towards production, but I must stress this is still a high risk punt (the companies we talked about last year are essentially exploration companies, not mining companies).

8. Post
    Yeah sitting on TON for now

9. Post
    ne0 wrote:
    GNE nice - did you get many at the IPO? I'm sitting around 15% due to additional top ups just after the IPO and after the election.

I'm too heavy in GNE at the moment but can't do much as I'll lose the bonus shares.
    I got about $3.5k worth at the IPO which I still have (I applied for $15k worth lol). I'm saving these like you for the bonus shares. I brought some more at $1.85 and sold at $2.05.

I should have been more ballsy and done more top ups, and sold hallensteins when it briefly got 5% into the black, now its back in the red.

10. Post
    If anyone is looking for ASX listed companies to invest in these are worth some of your time to research. These are all speculative medium to long term plays.

I have shares in some of these, but don't have enough funds to make investment in all of them

I've included today's price - 16/01/2015 - as reference to check back in 6-12 months later and see if I got any hopes of being a Hot XXX Stock Pickz analyst

AJX $0.63 - new type of environmentally friendly flame retardant chemicals. Is seen as the only viable replacement for other FR solutions which use bromine based chemicals, which are seen as toxic like asbestos. The company just secured a contract with the US Department of Defense which is seen as validating its technology, and is in discussions with US government to replace it's FR solutions throughout its entire military and service sectors. Also being trialled by a big company in Israel. Huge sales pipeline, potential big profits rolling in towards end of the year. Potential to become global market leader for the entire textile industry, has a vastly superior product. Planning to dual-list on NYSE later this year. Pretty much as "sure thing" as it gets imo

CLQ $0.09 - water and air purification technology. Company has been around for a few years, was quite nicely profitable back in the day, but took a big hit during the financial crisis and subsequent aussie mining bust of 2008/2009. Has been developing its patented purification technology for 25+ years, and is now targeting asian markets which are undergoing an 'industrial boom' and are experiencing subsequent pollution problems. It's technology is currently being being trialled in China which has a huge pollution problem and are investing billions to fix it, if CLQ gets the contract it will be huge.

CVT $0.225 - new type of enterprise/cloud data-centric security platform technology, newly listed company on the ASX but has been around for 8 years (Cocoon holdings was previous name). Currently focusing on the European market, but its target sector is pretty much every company in the world since they all have data privacy/breach issues. Big potential if it eventuates, has some impressive directors.

PEH $0.091 - Small company that has some very accurate air monitoring hardware/technology. It's planning to upgrade current EnviroSuit software to version 2,0 which will be a SaaS version which should significantly help it grow the business, but the main thing is that it's an already profitable company with a relatively small market cap.

NXR $0.073 - Mining company that acquired a 30% stake in Wavefront Biometric Technologies which is a biometric security company. Currently in phase 2/4 trial for new retina-based biometric security technology with good results. Big potential to replace current biometric security technologies (eg fingerprint scanning).

1PG $1.07 - silicone valley recruitment company, happens to be ASX listed, has been winning lots of contracts and is seen as quite disruptive in the market. Has experienced a big jump in share price recently, whether this is justified or not I'm not too sure on. Not too familiar with its financials (profits), but since it's winning a lot of big contracts it has potential.

MIG $0.685 - Newly listed social media company targeting asian markets, growing user base quite nicely, could be facebook equivalent for the asian markets. Has seen a big jump in its user base in recent months, and with this type of company it's all based on user uptake. It's planned monetisation model is based on in-app purchases/gifts rather than advertising and/or selling user data (like Facebook/Google for example).

ZIP $0.48 - Newly listed company targeting mobile roaming SIM card market, and has a new VoIP calling app with great call quality over 2G data only, currently in trial phase but reporting superior call quality and bandwith improvements over existing providers (skype/viber/nanu), targeting emerging/developing markets

and I'm still hopeful on these Graphite mining juniors. the sector has taken a bit of a beating lately, but imo this 'green technology' resource isn't going away, or so I hope...

MRF $0.065 - Sri Lankan vein graphite explorer that hopes to be a near-term producer with planned low-scale production in 2015 to start generating some capital. It's currently working on digging a few holes to establish a resource and is planning to refurbish old historic mines, has a few mining licenses already.

BBR $0.018 - Sri Lankan vein graphite explorer that is looking to get into a close partnership and 15-50% ownership agreement with "RS Mines" which is a company currently mining vein graphite in low quantities and owns a processing plant to produce high quality graphene oxide with superior electricity and conductivity properties. BBR is currently performing due-dilligence drilling activities at Queens mine, which is currently being mined by RS mines, and also hopes to ramp up production this year. Happens to have $4.2m cash on hand, with a $6.5m market cap.

MNS $0.22 - ex-Uranium explorer, currently focusing on its Tanzanian graphite resource which appears to be of very high quality "Jumbo" flake grade, which commands a premium price. Has secured binding offtake agreements for 180ktpa with a couple of Chinese companies, and has a MoU to secure financing to bring its resource into production sometime 2016. Out of a few 'open-pit' large scale production graphite explorer companies that might make it into production this one looks pretty likely, however it's still all speculative for the entire sector + sovereign risk due to resource being in Africa.

do your own research, these are all worth a punt imo, especially AJX
    Last edited by spacetrig; 16th January 2015 at 1:35 pm.

11. Post
    ^Very interesting, will take a look

12. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    i don't even know what scales do, what do they do?

- ok they make and transport food
    Most of the business is coldstores / food warehousing.

13. Post
    Lately I've been thinking about the Asian Century and the inevitable shift in capital from infrastructure investment to the burgeoning consumption of the middle class in Asia, particularly that of China.

Over the next 20 years I would like to invest strongly in AUS/NZ agricultural companies with a slight addition of commodity/mining/trading companies.

Obviously we can't invest in Fonterra as passive investors, but there must be heaps of other agricultural stocks we can invest in.

Anyone got any ideas?

Here I have a mixture of agricultural producers & retailers, primarily australian:

ASX: WOW
    ASX: TGR
    ASX: BGA
    ASX: FNP
    ASX: SHV
    ASX: AAC

TSE: SAP
    TSE: LAS.A
    NYSE: DD (makes fertiliser)

I have picked these based on decent earnings, brand power, anticipated future demand from Asia, possible takeover targets, medium to big market value and of course, good price action (gone up in price in the past 5-10 years). I've decided to pass over big stocks like Goodman Fielder because of their depressed stock price.

In addition, I picked some copper mining companies for the lolz (but seriously though, they will need it for all those AC units in India and China for years to come):

ETR:NDA
    ASX:SFR
    NYSE:FCX
    probably BHP and Rio Tinto too.

Good time to buy copper stocks atm anyway cos I think they are under valued atm
    Last edited by fr0za; 21st January 2015 at 5:55 pm.

14. Post
    fr0za wrote:
    Over the next 20 years I would like to invest strongly in AUS/NZ agricultural companies.

Obviously we can't invest in Fonterra as passive investors, but there must be heaps of other agricultural stocks we can invest in.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm gonna do a bit of a google right now
    what do you mean "as passive investors"?

Cause you can invest in Fonterra, they have a stock for the general public, "Fonterra Shareholders Funds Unit" ticker code FSF.

15. Post
    Cheers for that stacrafty.

It doesn't look all that attractive atm though, with a 1.70% dividend and not much appreciation in price.

But for the 20 year term, may be a good value buy

16. Post
    The question burning in my head is; is it time to sell out of MRP? The bonus shares are so close but the pricing is stellar at the moment. I have a 20k initial investment so would realise almost 8k of profit (excluding dividends) or should I just stick with it long term? I struggle to see where else I could put the money anyway and the dividend stream is attractive.

17. Post
    Anybody know the easiest way to buy crude oil? Would it be possible online via ASB sharetrader or similar? Read through a number of articles and don't see it under $50 for more than 6 months or so.

18. Post
    Therk wrote:
    Anybody know the easiest way to buy crude oil? Would it be possible online via ASB sharetrader or similar? Read through a number of articles and don't see it under $50 for more than 6 months or so.
    "Commodities products are not offered to members of the public for the purposes of the Securities Act 1978."

19. Post
    Crap, next best way?

20. Post
    Really? I thought anyone could just buy futures/options on oil

otherwise there are indirect methods. Etfs, mutual funds, stocks of companies directly impacted - you can long/short. Probably more ways than I could think of
    Last edited by SirGrim; 26th January 2015 at 8:35 am.

21. Post
    So here's an example:

USO is a ETF that trades in futures of WTI sweet crude spot.

As a result this ETF index has lost 50% value in the last 6 months and as you believe the price has bottomed you just need to find a NZ broker to sell you some of these NASDAQ ETFs: https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=USO

Last edited by SirGrim; 26th January 2015 at 8:53 am.

22. Post
    There's a crude oil ETF on the ASX called OOO.

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/company.do#!/OOO

23. Post
    If you have 10,000 USD, open a futures brokerage accouNt.

I personally wouldn't buy oil atm though, don't try to catch a falling knife, unless you like cutting yourself.....

24. Post
    fr0za wrote:
    Cheers for that stacrafty.

It doesn't look all that attractive atm though, with a 1.70% dividend and not much appreciation in price.

But for the 20 year term, may be a good value buy
    I brought some lol, was recommended to me by an advisor.

25. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    I brought some lol, was recommended to me by an advisor.
    Well past behavior is not a good indicator of future behavior, in fact quite often the opposite. It may not be true in this case but a period of flat line pricing can give scope for future appreciation (even if just to catch up lost inflation adjustment).