1. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    why would you pay the mortgage ? Hey bank go ahead have a mortgagee sale, good luck have fun, and good bye.
    an aquainance of ours kept borrowing against his house in Waipu cove to fund his lifestyle, then the market crashed in 2008 and the bank sold his house with a 200k short fall. The thing is that he still owes the bank that 200k and the only way out is for him to declare bankrupt. So it's not a case of just walking away.

2. Post
    bas wrote:
    an aquainance of ours kept borrowing against his house in Waipu cove to fund his lifestyle, then the market crashed in 2008 and the bank sold his house with a 200k short fall. The thing is that he still owes the bank that 200k and the only way out is for him to declare bankrupt. So it's not a case of just walking away.
    There's no accounting for stupidity.

3. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    why would you pay the mortgage ? Hey bank go ahead have a mortgagee sale, good luck have fun, and good bye.
    The debt doesn't go away.
    According to Consumer

"You're still responsible for ongoing hire purchase or mortgage payments (provided the assignee doesn't require you to surrender or sell the assets bought by the payments); court fines or court orders for reparation; maintenance and child support payments if you qualify; and debts incurred after the date of your bankruptcy."

4. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    Mortgages work differently in NZ compared to the states. The debt is still tied to you. They will sell your house and no doubt be short. You still owe the bank.

5. Post
    Invest in american cannibals.

True story.

6. Post
    Yea but you would declare bankruptcy, and be at least back at $0 owing. Not a hugely desirable option, granted. but sometimes the best one.

7. Post
    Gold and Silver is the way to go now. If you want temporary quick profit buy into Genesis and sell 5-10mins after it opens on the 17th April.

8. Post
    Post some logic if you are going to make a statement like that

9. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    Yea but you would declare bankruptcy, and be at least back at $0 owing. Not a hugely desirable option, granted. but sometimes the best one.
    Thats not how it works...

10. Post
    Envesty wrote:
    Gold and Silver is the way to go now. If you want temporary quick profit buy into Genesis and sell 5-10mins after it opens on the 17th April.
    its called stagging, and why would you when you could hold for a year and receive an anticipated 25% yield, its insane

11. Post
    Envesty wrote:
    Gold and Silver is the way to go now
    I wonder where our mate noCash is these days? I remember the same unsupported rhetoric from him awhile back. Talking about how he'd dumped 45k (yeah right) into silver and how much money he was going to make. Of course Silver proceeded to tank over the next year. I miss that guy.

Yeah its a much better buy (assuming you are just talking buy and hold) now but still a LONG way from being a dead cert.

12. Post
    I've been in a part time job for 2 and a half years, when I was employed, the employer made no recommendation to join kiwisaver. Haven't bothered to look into it yet. Long story short, am I missing out on a lot?

13. Post
    nutella wrote:
    I've been in a part time job for 2 and a half years, when I was employed, the employer made no recommendation to join kiwisaver. Haven't bothered to look into it yet. Long story short, am I missing out on a lot?
    Well yes, but theres no time like the present. Also, your employer doesn't recommend you join kiwisaver, its automatic, did you opt out?

14. Post
    Subway wrote:
    Well yes, but theres no time like the present. Also, your employer doesn't recommend you join kiwisaver, its automatic, did you opt out?
    Not 100% sure, I must have opted out being the naive person I was. Should probably talk to my employer then.

15. Post
    ...so is anyone else jumping on the genesis bandwagon?

16. Post
    Mikos wrote:
    I wonder where our mate noCash is these days? I remember the same unsupported rhetoric from him awhile back. Talking about how he'd dumped 45k (yeah right) into silver and how much money he was going to make. Of course Silver proceeded to tank over the next year. I miss that guy.

Yeah its a much better buy (assuming you are just talking buy and hold) now but still a LONG way from being a dead cert.
    I am still floating around. I am still buying silver, im actaully buying and selling silver for a small margin.

Genesis needs to be stag! I am buying 50k worth of Genesis.

Dear Reference:
    Thank you for your interest in the Genesis Energy Share Offer (Offer). The Offer is now open.
    Further to your request we advise that we have reserved you an allocation of 33800 of shares in the Offer. The price has been set at $1.55 per share. As a result this allocation represents an investment amount of $52390.

17. Post
    Are you guys just buying through the genesis website? It seems that ASB is already has no allocated shares left. Would it be worth signing up with another broker or is it too late for that?

If the amount of shares recieved is scaled down will everyone get the same percentage or is it better to apply earlier? (if applying on the genesis website rather than a broker)

18. Post
    I applied through the genesis share offer website - I signed up for an account with ASB Securities last week, for what it's worth. I'm not sure how they're going to scale the allocations if it's oversubscribed, other than the fact they're guaranteeing a minimum of $1000. My order is much closer to the minimum than nocash's, so not a massive concern for me

If I had 50k spare I'd totally be buying 30,000 shares, though.

19. Post
    Nah i can't wait until April next year. I am going to stag it like i did with Meridian.

20. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    I applied through the genesis share offer website - I signed up for an account with ASB Securities last week, for what it's worth. I'm not sure how they're going to scale the allocations if it's oversubscribed, other than the fact they're guaranteeing a minimum of $1000. My order is much closer to the minimum than nocash's, so not a massive concern for me

If I had 50k spare I'd totally be buying 30,000 shares, though.
    As would I.

21. Post
    yeah took 5.8k off my floating mortgage to get some but i hear its over subscribed. I actually have about another 30k i can get, so maybe I should be throwing some of that in too.

it will do at least 10% yield + 6% bonus shares... I'd buy that for a $1

22. Post
    Im curious to know if NoCash actually gets that $50k worth, in the instituational offering there was heavy, and I mean heavy scaling, im going for $10k worth, and I disagree that this is a stag, you need to hold the shares for 12 months to get the bonus shares so the 6-7% yield from that will mean the share price will be ex any entitlement on list, you are better off holding this puppy

23. Post
    Subway wrote:
    Im curious to know if NoCash actually gets that $50k worth, in the instituational offering there was heavy, and I mean heavy scaling, im going for $10k worth, and I disagree that this is a stag, you need to hold the shares for 12 months to get the bonus shares so the 6-7% yield from that will mean the share price will be ex any entitlement on list, you are better off holding this puppy

got like ~39k from the 40k I ordered

unless I are retarded and misinterpreted this..

The Genesis Energy Share Offer is now open. The Broker Firm Offer pool was oversubscribed which resulted in The Crown scaling all applications. Based on our discussions and your interest, you may consider taking an allocation as follows. The price has been set at $1.55 per share.

Broker Firm Offer

7,500 Shares

Consideration $11,625.00

And

General Offer (Public Pool)

17,500 Shares

Consideration $27,125.00

24. Post
    I got 5g i can invest. What you guys reckon for a beginner?

25. Post
    Orgasm wrote:
    I got 5g i can invest. What you guys reckon for a beginner?
    Apply for the genesis share offer. It's a nice lowish risk investment with the potential of a conservative 20% return in 12 months.