Results 51 to 75 of 113

  1. Post
    #51
    Not sure of your reasoning there Quasi. If you accept the reasoning behind Easter trading laws in the first place, why is it so bad to try to reduce the amount of alcohol-related harm?

  2. Post
    #52
    bloodsword wrote:
    Not sure of your reasoning there Quasi. If you accept the reasoning behind Easter trading laws in the first place, why is it so bad to try to reduce the amount of alcohol-related harm?
    I'm against the trading laws, not just the alcohol ones specifically. I'd be happy if they just made it alcohol only rather than forcing the supermarkets to be closed as well. A better question is why does the rule forcing the supermarkets to be closed persist?

  3. Post
    #53
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    I'm against the trading laws, not just the alcohol ones specifically. I'd be happy if they just made it alcohol only rather than forcing the supermarkets to be closed as well. A better question is why does the rule forcing the supermarkets to be closed persist?
    Religion. You might've missed the fact it was Good Friday today

  4. Post
    #54
    -1, at least in theory it is nothing to do with religion. Would be interesting to move the whole thing to a different time to prove that

  5. Post
    #55
    Gives supermarket/bottle store workers a day off then. What other days off do they get, Christmas?

  6. Post
    #56
    Tormenta wrote:
    Gives supermarket/bottle store workers a day off then. What other days off do they get, Christmas?
    Full timers typically work five days a week and get the requisite four weeks of annual leave.

  7. Post
    #57


    First time I used that meme I think, totally appropriate and fully deserved

  8. Post
    #58
    Neongreen wrote:
    Brew your own.
    Brewed so much I've got enough to last until next good friday.

    edit* you got knocked the **** out

  9. Post
    #59
    Exactly. The bars aren't selling alcohol, they are merely selling a service of quenching their customers thirst and getting them drunk. No violation by staying open.

  10. Post
    #60
    Troll a bit harder, this is weaker than your usual efforts.

  11. Post
    #61
    It's a pretty archaic law if you ask me....times have changed. The biggest farce is Wanaka - they have >50000 people coming into the region and bars, shops etc. aren't allowed to trade

  12. Post
    #62
    I'm curious what other countries have these restricted trading days?
    Australia maybe? England? South Africa?
    Obviously most muslim countries will have some variant, just not the same days.

  13. Post
    #63
    teelo6 wrote:
    I'm curious what other countries have these restricted trading days?
    Australia maybe? England? South Africa?
    Obviously most muslim countries will have some variant, just not the same days.
    Yes to Australia. And Canada.

    Also I think you'll find the majority of European countries have restricted trading days on Easter, even today France, Netherlands and Spain are closed on Sundays except for tourist shops. England and Wales have restricted hours.

  14. Post
    #64
    Theres our main justification for not changing the rules then - they haven't.

  15. Post
    #65
    Tormenta wrote:

    First time I used that meme I think, totally appropriate and fully deserved
    So what the **** are you on about?

  16. Post
    #66
    GaR wrote:
    So what the **** are you on about?
    That Good Friday is a guaranteed day off work over and above weekends (for most people) and annual leave. Also families who might work on public holidays are guaranteed time off together (hopefully a good thing).

  17. Post
    #67
    I heart Easter holidays.

  18. Post
    #68
    Tormenta wrote:
    That Good Friday is a guaranteed day off work over and above weekends (for most people) and annual leave. Also families who might work on public holidays are guaranteed time off together (hopefully a good thing).
    So you'd support the full closure of pretty much every non-essential business then?

  19. Post
    #69
    I've always been fascinated by the fact you get more consecutive guaranteed days off over Easter than you do over Christmas and New Year (presuming you don't work weekends).

  20. Post
    #70
    GaR wrote:
    So you'd support the full closure of pretty much every non-essential business then?
    I'm just providing the rationale for it. I don't care too much either way

    Martha's Backyard/Mexican Specialities are open today FYI. Gon get me some Maseca and cheddar flavoured popcorn which is god tier.

  21. Post
    #71
    give me convenience or give me death

  22. Post
    #72
    Why not have it as an optional holiday?

  23. Post
    #73
    I have always thought forcing places to be closed was stupid.
    Especially for those that don't celebrate any of it.

  24. Post
    #74
    So much tormentard in this thread

  25. Post
    #75
    I heard a hospo association lady say on the news that patrons can have a drink one hour before and one hour after their meals at pubs and restaurants. Archaic much lol