Growing chillies

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 276 to 300 of 399

  1. Post
    If anyone in Christchurch is still looking for hotter seedlings, the garden centre bit attached to Raeward Fresh on Marshlands road still has a few Trinidad Scorpions left.

  2. Post
    Mrs. made some Apple Chilli sauce from her mum's apple chillies. Made it with mangoes and carrot, tastes bloody good.

    My habaneroes and Jalapeņos are slow going. Front yard has shit draining and terrible sun exposure so have built a box out the back with some netting over it. The back will only get 4-5hrs of sun a day, on a good day.

  3. Post
    So last weeks frost wiped out my in ground chillies. Greenhouse ones are still going.

    Also killed my courgette, pumpkin and half of the tomatoes

  4. Post
    Hydro chillies are pumping



  5. Post
    Man that is a lot of mantis'
    Are there aphids around to eat?

  6. Post
    Deerism wrote:
    Man that is a lot of mantis'
    Are there aphids around to eat?
    Yep.Have seen a few mantis munching on them.

  7. Post
    All these overcast days mean my chilies are growing slow as. Guess its better than cold days though

  8. Post
    Mine are loving this warmer weather.


  9. Post
    I've planted a few rows of jalapenos, and they should be ready in few weeks. Jalapenos don't seem that prolific in yields, but i think there's more than enough for me.

    Where should i sell them? Trademe? GP?
    Harvest before skin cracking? (full flavour when cracked but visually less appealing i guess)
    But more importantly, how much?

  10. Post
    serious>klown wrote:
    I've planted a few rows of jalapenos, and they should be ready in few weeks. Jalapenos don't seem that prolific in yields, but i think there's more than enough for me.

    Where should i sell them? Trademe? GP?
    Harvest before skin cracking? (full flavour when cracked but visually less appealing i guess)
    But more importantly, how much?
    If you want a higher yield over the season then pick early. Every plant has a limit to how many chillies it can hold at one time, it will keep producing flowers but it will drop them when the plant is full of fruit. As soon as you pick a fruit it will start producing a new one.

    If I were you I would just be eating them myself ... but I guess you could go to a local farmers market or trademe or even the forums here???? How much? I don't know sorry, super markets charge a lot for Jalapenos (so people are obviously willing to pay) but I wouldn't pay that much to be honest.

  11. Post
    Yea, stores/supermarkets chillies cost so much. sometimes 3-5 skinny red ones for $5.

    Seen thai chillies being sold cheaper, but I'm not a fan of them. only seem good for flavouring stews/curry etc.

    I'll eat my ones everyday though out summer but will still have have kilos left to sell...

  12. Post
    My first attempt at growing chilies. I really have no idea what i'm doing

    Jalapeņos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	941082_10207898960487982_7292470580255701269_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	208327

    Capsicum
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12376448_10207898958647936_2908667606035683465_n.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	208328

  13. Post
    Sunlight wrote:
    My first attempt at growing chilies. I really have no idea what i'm doing

    Jalapeņos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	941082_10207898960487982_7292470580255701269_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	208327

    Capsicum
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12376448_10207898958647936_2908667606035683465_n.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	208328
    Give them heaps of water bro.Drown them when its hot

  14. Post
    Had some space in the glasshouse.





    Sharpie for scale
    Consumed soon after picture was taken. It was awesome.

    I could spare few kg's next week. $8/kg + postage?
    Last edited by serious>klown; 1st January 2016 at 6:24 pm.

  15. Post
    I'm really excited that I have one little jalapeņo on the plant. Lots of flowers too.

    My capsicum sadly ended up rotting on the plant Disappoint

  16. Post
    Just tried my first jalapeno. Was only a little fella, stupid snail crawled across it when it was smaller and melted a hole in it so picked it. Really nice clean sharp spice.

    Have 3 plants all fruiting like crazy.

    Anyone have a tried and true sauce recipe?

  17. Post
    My Jalapeņos today

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280281.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	628.5 KB 
ID:	209150

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280282.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	663.6 KB 
ID:	209151

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280283.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	607.8 KB 
ID:	209152

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280284.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	596.6 KB 
ID:	209153


    Capsicum plants

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280285.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	614.8 KB 
ID:	209154

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280286.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	668.4 KB 
ID:	209155

  18. Post
    I shall have to snap some pictures of my first garden / chilies progress, got some Anaheim's (was given a seedling), two small bell caps, a banana cap bush that is loaded up with nearly mature fruit, my Hungarian hot unfortunately got half broken in some Welly wind so only has a couple but my wildfire has a crap-load of greens on it.

    How's everyone coming along?

  19. Post
    I now believe my Trinidad Scorpions aren't actually scorpions at all, the pods look like cayennes, serranos or somesuch. The heat suggests that would be about right. I suspect someone has mixed up seeds or labels.

    Still they're almost a metre tall which isn't bad considering how late they were into the ground. The only food they've had is a bit of blood & bone at the start. Have been watering them regularly to make the most of the heat, and I've been using grass clippings as mulch.

  20. Post
    Considering getting in to growing chillies, any good noob guides you guys recommend as a place to start?

  21. Post
    Rumor wrote:
    Considering getting in to growing chillies, any good noob guides you guys recommend as a place to start?
    http://thehotpepper.com/forum/100-growing-hot-peppers/
    Start them early under lights if you can,Big pots or in the ground with good soil.Regular ferts and lots of water

  22. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    I now believe my Trinidad Scorpions aren't actually scorpions at all, the pods look like cayennes, serranos or somesuch. The heat suggests that would be about right. I suspect someone has mixed up seeds or labels.

    Still they're almost a metre tall which isn't bad considering how late they were into the ground. The only food they've had is a bit of blood & bone at the start. Have been watering them regularly to make the most of the heat, and I've been using grass clippings as mulch.
    There are a lot of dodgy sellers out there claiming Reaper/morugas etc.Where did you buy them from?
    Save some of the seeds from those reapers you got off me.They should be good.

  23. Post
    Swampy wrote:
    http://thehotpepper.com/forum/100-growing-hot-peppers/
    Start them early under lights if you can,Big pots or in the ground with good soil.Regular ferts and lots of water
    Cheers mate, will continue to do more research on the whole thing

    Do the plants really grow and start producing in a few months? I was surprised when I saw you guys all talking about planting in September and getting results in like March!

  24. Post
    Rumor wrote:
    Cheers mate, will continue to do more research on the whole thing

    Do the plants really grow and start producing in a few months? I was surprised when I saw you guys all talking about planting in September and getting results in like March!
    Yes,especially not so hot chillies like capsicums,anchos,Jalapenos etc.
    Superhots can take a lot longer to get a good crop.

  25. Post
    Picked my first few yesterday.

    Was so proud -



    You can't see it in that light, but the skins had started to split/crack. Have 4 plants + a habanero that has started to fruit.