Growing chillies

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)

1. Post
    Not too much, I put about a half cup of salt in a 10L watering can.

2. Post
    It's great

3. Post
    Picked my first Jalapenos. My daughter (7yo) was brave enough to try one. It was pretty hot, lol. I tried it after her and even I got a surprise at how hot it was. I think my feeding routine has made the plant quite potent. I made a bunch of poppers yesterday on the bbq with dinner. Great success. I'm glad I've got a few plants producing.

Sadly lost one of my reaper plants, either the cat or the wind toppled it :\ ... I picked up a trinidad scorpion seedling to replace it. That plant looked really big and healthy too. FFS.

4. Post
    If you want to get peppers slightly hotter dont water them for a few days before picking, apparantly plants understress make the peppers hotter

5. Post
    Good tip. That chillichump guy says the same. I generally run my plants a bit on the dry side. I only water once a week, and only if it doesn't rain.

6. Post
    Last night I tried to do a decent dab of reaper sauce off the back of my hand to prepare my stomach a bit for the hot Taco at Mexico today.

I accidentally poured a tonne of it on, no biggie to lick off or digest as I seem to have a decent chili tolerance despite not touching anything hot this week.

BUT

I woke up at 4am with my hand absolutely burning with an excruciating searing pain that felt deep inside and wouldn't go away no matter how much I scrubbed it with soap.

I'm absolutely not doing that again and am gonna be careful harvesting my plants, I don't want to know how bad being pepper sprayed is after that.

7. Post
    For sure, also when harvesting super hots USE GLOVES, I didn't once, and despite washing my hands a few times and having a shower I jumped into bed and adjusted 'myself', let me tell you what, I've never felt pain like that before, The wife was pissing herself and I'm in agony.

So 10/10 wear gloves

8. Post
    Must be a hot taco if the reaper sauce is your prep. Yikes.

I had a moment after planting my reaper seeds, forgetting that the seeds carry a lot of heat too. Even after drying for 8 months in a jar. Lol.

9. Post
    Soldier_Five wrote:
    For sure, also when harvesting super hots USE GLOVES, I didn't once, and despite washing my hands a few times and having a shower I jumped into bed and adjusted 'myself', let me tell you what, I've never felt pain like that before, The wife was pissing herself and I'm in agony.

So 10/10 wear gloves
    thanks for the laugh, I just snorted coffee out my nose reading that.

I see Awapuni Nurseries are now selling Reaper seedlings. I think I'll stick to something a little tamer.

10. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Must be a hot taco if the reaper sauce is your prep. Yikes.
    Wasn't spicy at all going down, a bit of a burn built up a minute later but was pretty mild compared to reaper sauce, much tastier than expected with most things sold on their heat factor though.

(Ate three this afternoon and had no regrets, but spent the evening trying not to shit myself while out for dinner, this is a silly hobby/pissing contest with myself)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...ectid=12300669

11. Post
    That sounds like a good taco.

12. Post
    Hello, habanero.
    Looking forward to these ripening!

13. Post
    They should double in size too. My pink habs are pumping. Excited to see them turn pink.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badhabs.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	228080

14. Post
    All 3 of my bunnings peppers are completely yellowed. Can't seem to make them green . All others in the same pots and same soil are beautifully green.

Thai super hot looks ok, but small;

Name:	F4B541C9-52FD-484B-BC41-0F10542DD30E.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	505.3 KB 
ID:	228203

15. Post
    Odd. It might be the nutrient levels perhaps? overwatering? strange that they're yellow and the others aren't though.

My plants have exploded eh, they're huge and they have fruit or flowers showing all over the place. My pink habanero's have started turning pink ... almost time for first pick

16. Post
    Yea they all get the same water and attention. Probably too late to save them now. I should get a few peppers but nothing great.
    Thai super hots are yum though. Really sweet.

17. Post
    Could try getting a nitrogen-heavy feed, if you've got a hyalite in your area they have some good stuff

18. Post

Name:	15817489685678897002488704270856.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	228206

19. Post
    Looking healthy swazi

20. Post
    First ripe ones - minus one red Jalapeno I had with breakky.

2 Hungarian Yellow, 3 red Jalapeno (two are quite small), two pink Habanero and two different sized Wildfire. There's a shit tonne more coming too.

21. Post
    Those Hungarians look exactly like my Banana peppers. They had zero heat though.

Looking good

22. Post
    Still waiting for my chillies to ripen, especially the habaneros. Leaves quite yellow, too...

23. Post
    I'm growing a few lower heat ones for sauce filler, going to make some fermented sauces and didn't want them so hot that only a few people would like them.

24. Post
    I cooked those Hungarian Yellows above on the Weber tonight. Pretty tasty and around about as hot as a good Jalapeno. Pretty stoked as they are growing hard and fast. Plenty of sauce filler there.

Took some progress pics of about half my plants today. The Habs are ripening quite fast. I've had a few Jalapenos go red. The Reapers are starting to blush now too. Most of the pics below are Carolina Reapers.

25. Post
    Can i has seeds?

My pink habaneros are starting to ripen, yussss.

Got heaps of birds eye on the plant too, might pick off some green ones.