Growing chillies

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)

1. Post
    Also these guys if you super hots

http://www.hotttasschillies.co.nz/in...oller=category

2. Post
    Are chipotle peppers way 2 hard 2 grow in NZ?

3. Post
    can someone hit me with an entry-level but good chilli sauce recipe? it has to be n0000000b-AZZZ friendly because I've never made one before. I'll also have to buy the chillis because mine are all dead/eaten

4. Post
    JC wrote:
    Are chipotle peppers way 2 hard 2 grow in NZ?
    Chipotle chilies are just smoked and sometimes also dried jalapenos & they are easy to grow in NZ.
    I smoke half my fruit and use them in sauces etc, very nice.

5. Post
    AC SLATER wrote:
    can someone hit me with an entry-level but good chilli sauce recipe? it has to be n0000000b-AZZZ friendly because I've never made one before. I'll also have to buy the chillis because mine are all dead/eaten
    try this:
    300 - 500g fresh chilli depending on type / heat etc (seeds and all)
    1kg tomato (can add 200g - 300g capsicum as well for colour)
    2 garlic
    100g ginger
    2 lemons rind & juice
    1.5 cup raw sugar
    1 cup cidar vinegar
    1 cup white vinegar
    Boil it up & simmer for couple hours, cool and blend it (with a stick type is good)
    Put it in sterile jars and refrigerate

Pretty simple but effective.

Tip: Cook outside on BBQ :-)

6. Post
    cheers - that can be my weekend creative outlet because I have no room for brewing

I take it that's 2 cloves of garlic?

7. Post
    Yip, 2 cloves.

8. Post
    Rossa70 wrote:
    Chipotle chilies are just smoked and sometimes also dried jalapenos & they are easy to grow in NZ.
    No ****? I have a smoker and now I'm more keen than ever

9. Post
    Rossa70 wrote:
    yeah I had mad awesome success growing jalapenos! I just made poppers and salsa with them though.

I've smoked a bit of fruit and tried a bunch of smoked chillies (commercial and otherwise) from a few different people in NZ and I have not yet tasted anything close to a mexican Chipotle. I mean they all tasted ok, some were great even but none were close ... I never bothered looking into it that much but maybe it has something to do with the wood type. As I understand it, it also needs to be a super dry low heat (think a smouldering fire in mexico I guess)

For the record my smoked chillies tasted like dogs balls. So goddam bitter and acrid that I never bothered doing it again. I'd be keen to hear how you did yours.

EDIT: As a side, I tried growing tobasco chillies and those suckers are sooooooooo bloody tiny and didn't do well at all. They were kinda cool though cause they are the only chilli that is filled with liquid on the inside
    Last edited by Merkinz; 27th June 2014 at 6:42 pm.

10. Post
    Agreed, can't compete with the Mexicans when it comes to the chipotle!
    I really only use my smoked fruit for sauces & chutneys.
    Did you use firelighters or any accelerant to start or keep your fire going? That I've found will taint the fruit and make them really bitter. I use bbq fuel made for closed bbq's to build a ember base then use manuka chip. I put bowl of water in the smoker cause I actually don't want them to dry out to much for use in sauce etc. They are in the smoker for about 12 hours.
    I find the Rocotto the best chilli to smoke, nice thick flesh and hotter than the jalapeno.
    Fav sauce is mix smoked Rocotto and orange habs.

11. Post
    my smoker
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoker.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	197432

12. Post
    best place to get chipotles in Central Auckland? Going to design a beer around some. I only need about ~28g

13. Post
    AC SLATER wrote:
    best place to get chipotles in Central Auckland? Going to design a beer around some. I only need about ~28g

14. Post
    I don't want any sauce with them please
    Last edited by w0lfbrains; 30th June 2014 at 7:03 pm.

15. Post
    Some nice growth for the middle of winter

16. Post
    looks like im going to have too many plants and may have to give some away soon.
    Oh and look what just arrived

17. Post

18. Post
    Choc Bhuts and reapers coming along nicely

19. Post
    Started my chillies a couple of weeks ago. Just got some sprouting happening:

Name:	2014-08-09 12.12.01b.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	858.9 KB 
ID:	198216

I have Anaheim, Orange Habs, and Ancho. Forgot to label them though!

20. Post
    Grolim wrote:
    Started my chillies a couple of weeks ago. Just got some sprouting happening:

Name:	2014-08-09 12.12.01b.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	858.9 KB 
ID:	198216

I have Anaheim, Orange Habs, and Ancho. Forgot to label them though!
    Wow,thats alot of chillies

Put my polytunnel up today.Peppers are gunna love it.

21. Post
    Baalllllin

22. Post
    Thats a mean little tunnel thing! How much does something like that set you back?

23. Post
    whats some good chilli seeds to get for a fresh noob grower I live in West Auckland I don't want the chilli's to hot just wanted to make some sauce maybe

24. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    Thats a mean little tunnel thing! How much does something like that set you back?
    About $550 of trademe.

25. Post
    BZP wrote:
    whats some good chilli seeds to get for a fresh noob grower I live in West Auckland I don't want the chilli's to hot just wanted to make some sauce maybe
    I can send you a selection bro.PM me