Growing chillies

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 351 to 375 of 383

  1. Post
    Outdoor, converted a pergola, yes you can grow them inside, just need plenty of sun

  2. Post
    Anyone sell or know a place that sells seedlings?

  3. Post
    What type are you after?

  4. Post
    Soldier_Five wrote:
    What type are you after?
    Habaneros and scotch bonnets, probably. I've just heard that growing from seed can be quite hard if you don't keep the temperate consistent so don't want to waste money on seeds and them not growing.

  5. Post
    I haven't seems any seedlings of those for sale sorry, bunnings sometimes has cayennes and such, will double check what I've put down whw I get home, where abouts in NZ are you? Could hook you up with some if I get a good strike

  6. Post
    Not really the time of the year to get those seedlings. Wait until around November and plenty of places will have

  7. Post
    Soldier_Five wrote:
    I haven't seems any seedlings of those for sale sorry, bunnings sometimes has cayennes and such, will double check what I've put down whw I get home, where abouts in NZ are you? Could hook you up with some if I get a good strike
    Cheers I'm in Hamilton. Will keep an eye out when the weather is a bit warmer.

  8. Post
    Got my Carolina Reaper and Fatalii seedlings from these guys in Cambridge last summer: https://www.oderings.co.nz/

    They both survived the Hamilton winter as an added bonus.

  9. Post
    When's everyone planting this year? have some jalapeno seeds, I read once the temperature is getting to 20, would that be right?

  10. Post
    If you're planting outside then yeah, but usually seeds are germinated inside, I put my down 5 weeks ago, but they're mostly super hots that take a while to germinate, if I was you I'd be germinating those seeds ASAP

  11. Post
    thanks - I had ordered some propogation trays but not received yet, any ideas for temporary? e.g. can I fill up an eggs box with soil and plant in per egg hole or something?

  12. Post
    Wait for your trays, best not to move them until they're abit established, unless you use peat pallets to germinate then you shouldn't have an issue moving

  13. Post
    I have a tray with half jalepeno and half reaper seedlings. They're about 3cm tall so far after 4 weeks. Still a little bit cold I suppose, I put the tray in the sun when possible.

    I've been following this guys tips on growing from seed (my first attempt). He seems pretty clued up: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSd...bW_bqzUYBKIK_A

  14. Post
    I just impulse purchased some Carolina Reaper and Bhut Jolokia seeds without reading up on how to grow them, any advice?

  15. Post
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    I just impulse purchased some Carolina Reaper and Bhut Jolokia seeds without reading up on how to grow them, any advice?
    Got to mitre 10 and get a propigation tray and some seed raising mix or peat pallets (I'm a fan of pallets).
    With the pallets I fill a bowl with room temp or slightly warm water (ideally boiled that has cooled,) I will then make a cup of tea, just bell tea, instead I chucking the tea bag away toss it in the water for a while then bin it, add the number or pallets to match you seed numbers,only the pallets have absorbed all the water.
    You'll notice the seeds have a wee pointy bit, place the seeds just below the surface of the pallets with the pointy bit facing up and bury, place the tray on a window sill that gets plenty of sun in a warm room, keep moist,once the roots start coming out of the pallets it's time to put them in a bigger pot with some quality potting mix, I will repot 3 or 4 times gradually getting bigger pots.

  16. Post
    Are there any seeds I can plant that are not too late in the season, or should I just look out for seedlings.

    Sent from my M6 Note using Tapatalk

  17. Post
    Hmm should be ok with something that's not super hot, cayenne , jalapeno or something along those lines, are you in Welly? My spider senses tell me youre in Welly, if so I could sling you acouple of seedling's, I had a higher that expected germination rate so got plenty

  18. Post
    Nah I'm Auckland. Cheers.

    Sent from my M6 Note using Tapatalk

  19. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Got my Carolina Reaper and Fatalii seedlings from these guys in Cambridge last summer: https://www.oderings.co.nz/

    They both survived the Hamilton winter as an added bonus.
    Where did you put them to protect them, as i am in putaruru, and I never managed to get Chillies to survive the winter

  20. Post
    Planted 27x 'early jalapeno' seeds today, got them in propogator trays in sunroom on the window sills, fingers crossed I get at least a few to germinate. Got some hot ones from last year that survived the winter and need repotting + new fertilizer so hopefully they come back strong this season too!

  21. Post
    Morgenmuffel wrote:
    Where did you put them to protect them, as i am in putaruru, and I never managed to get Chillies to survive the winter
    They had some shelter next to a shed. I fear I may have jinxed them though, the cold snap we had after I posted that may have finished them off, they don't appear to be alive. RIP.

    On the plus side my seedlings are growing strong, looks like I have 9 Jalepeno plants and 8 carolina reapers. Hopefully I can plant em out and they keep growing strong.

  22. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    They had some shelter next to a shed. I fear I may have jinxed them though, the cold snap we had after I posted that may have finished them off, they don't appear to be alive. RIP.

    On the plus side my seedlings are growing strong, looks like I have 9 Jalepeno plants and 8 carolina reapers. Hopefully I can plant em out and they keep growing strong.
    ,
    Trim off basically all the branches and stems so it's just a Y. Repot and trim the roots Abit, could very well bring them back from the dead

  23. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    They had some shelter next to a shed. I fear I may have jinxed them though, the cold snap we had after I posted that may have finished them off, they don't appear to be alive. RIP.

    On the plus side my seedlings are growing strong, looks like I have 9 Jalepeno plants and 8 carolina reapers. Hopefully I can plant em out and they keep growing strong.
    ,
    Trim off basically all the branches and stems so it's just a Y. Repot and trim the roots Abit, could very well bring them back from the dead

  24. Post
    Good tip, cheers. I read that or saw that somewhere previously, that's what I did to 'overwinter' them before winter came. I'll see if I can trim em back a little bit further.

  25. Post
    Yeah worth a shot, how old are the plans? Just one summer?